Massive Ban Hammer Mega Discussion

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Dartmon65, Jul 1, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gnothappening Augur

You are either missing or don't care about one thing that person said. They said people who got caught in January and STOPPED. We all get that if you cheated in January and didn't get caught you could still be banned now. But if they banned you for cheating in January, and then you stopped and were banned again, he is right that there is zero reason to ever stop.

Usually punishment is to stop people from doing a behavior. Punishing people for something that they were already punished for and then stopped the behavior for, defeats the purpose of punishment.
    Nenton, Banhammer, Bobbybick and 2 others like this.
  2. Gnothappening Augur

If you weren't using any third party software then the most likely issue is someone got butt hurt that you were boxing. They reported you. A GM showed up and said something in say while invis and you got hit.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And I think you are missing a key point here, people are making assumptions on what they are getting suspended for. If someone has been cheating for a while and they get punished that doesn't mean that they got caught and punished for their latest actions. As we are seeing with the recent claims there is at times a delay in getting caught and getting punished meaning if they got punished in the past it doesn't mean that it was for recent actions that they took. Getting punishment multiple times means they are likely getting punished for different actions.
  4. Gnothappening Augur

Can you at least see how being punished for cheating and then stopping, only to be punished again for cheating when you had stopped, will cause people to develop a "why bother stopping" attitude?

I don't know DBG's system, but the moment they punish an account it should put a flag that says "don't check anything prior to this point other than to see if they are repeat offenders."
    Banhammer and Eviara like this.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Getting caught once for something that happens in the past and then stopping means that any of the cheating you did from the first time you got caught until you stopped should be ignored? If you don't want to get punished for cheating the best action would be to not cheat in the first place.
    Nennius likes this.
  6. Gnothappening Augur

Yes, the best preventative method for the individual is to never cheat. I have never said otherwise. But yes, getting caught for cheating and being punished should set your counter to zero. That is if you actually want people to reform.
    Qimble, Pizzanomicon and Julliette like this.
  7. lurchmouse New Member

I don't see anything from the devs actions that suggest bans aren't inevitable at this point for anyone that's ever broken the rules. It would be better if they just ripped off the band-aid already.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And I would disagree with you on that, getting caught for a single instance of cheating does not negate all the other instances of cheating you have not been caught for yet.
  9. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

Donald Rumsfeld would be so proud of you. After all, the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
    Stymie and Pizzanomicon like this.
  10. Pizzanomicon Augur

Dang we goin full minority report for cheaters now ?
    Start likes this.
  11. KCRoyals New Member

Also, do not play restricted 3rd party software on an server that allows it, on the same computer you play EQ on. They can see that software and, even if you are not using it with live, it will flag you as using restricted 3rd party software.
  12. Spacemonkey555 Augur

There's no absence of evidence, we just don't get access to it because we aren't involved in the decision making process and DPG isn't foolishly blabbing to every person they catch every time they catch them. If DPG did that the cheaters would have data to use to beat the detection method. Probably driving the cheaters nuts too, half their team suspended instead of all of them, and they know next time maybe the other half gets suspended.
  13. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

Indeed....o_O
    Banhammer likes this.
  14. Spacemonkey555 Augur

I doubt they have 3 drugged gms chilling in a pool picking names at random. Would be kinda cool tho, I mean I'd pay extra for pyschic junkie GMs that banned cheaters before they cheat.
    Start and Pizzanomicon like this.
  15. FranktheBank Augur

Man Waring, just once I wish you would put some critical thinking into your reading and posting.

If you break the rules, AND GET PUNISHED FOR IT (the part you missed, so I capitalized it), then cease breaking the rules, you should not be punished for the same crime.

Example, lets say I cheated In December. The t1 raid release wave hits in January and I get hit. I decide its not worth it, so I stop cheating. Then in feburary, t2 releases and I get suspended again. Then in March, t3 releases and I get suspended or banned again.

Where is my incentive to stop cheating?

This is EXACTLY true and has happened to multiple people. You are going to say "you dont know that they arent cheating" and with anyone else, I'd probably agree with you.

To be clear, not -everyone- falls in this category. There were several perma bans and I know of at least a few are people that gave up cheating due to the constant waves at the beginning of the year.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Who said anything about a lack of evidence, the GM's and customer support teams have data that they will never share with the players. I am talking about getting punished for one rule infraction doesn't mean you are safe from punishment for other rule infractions.

If you break the rules multiple times I would expect you you be punished multiple times or have a longer single punishment.

Why do you think they would keep punishing you for the same thing over and over again? Just because you get punished it doesn't mean they are punishing you for all the occurrences of rule violations that you have. If you keep cheating the punishments will never end and eventually it will end with a perma ban. The problem is you don't know what you get suspended for and you make an assumption that the first ban was for cheating in December when that might not be the case.
  17. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Based on the amount of personal attacks:
    • Pizzanomicon attacks someone else with "low reading comprehension"
    • TLP Addict name-calls "Wearing McKaren"
    • Gheed says, "Its a wonder that some of you made it past 40."
    This thread will be nuked by Tuesday. No, it will not be due to censorship. It will be due to blatant violations of ToS.

Congrats. New moderator sees what kind of show cheat threads become.
  18. Gheed Is not reading your response

Anything is a personal attack nowadays. You mentioning my name really offended me.

Personal attack. Nuke the thread please.
  19. Pappasalt Augur

I see it's the annual "we're here doing stuffs about bots/cheaters"...welcome back everyone!
    Gheed likes this.
  20. Pizzanomicon Augur

Everything is a personal attack, didn't you hear ?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.