Gamers spend WHAT?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Leerah, Jun 15, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leerah Augur

2. Benito EQ player since 2001.

They are probably counting computer rigs, consoles, accessories, and energy costs over each individual's lifetime. It may be even more way off if they counted lost wages.

It could also be heavily skewed by crowdfunding for vaporware (Star Citizen). If you have a sample size of 100 or whatever, and 30+ people have paid $10,000-50,000 into vaporware, I'd expect a bias.
    Hobitses likes this.
  3. Raltar Augur

I mean...I've spent 2-3k on a new computer every two years for the past 10 years. It's not that hard to believe.
    Ryanxp and Hobitses like this.
  4. Szilent Augur

over a lifetime? sounds low, if anything
  5. Nennius Curmudgeon

For me, not a chance. Much too high. For some folks, maybe. Estimates like this should only rarely be taken seriously.

P.S. For those who do spend that much, just think how much further ahead they would be in life if they just to invested it in a very conservative growth fund.
  6. Cicelee Augur

My wife has spent zero dollars in her lifetime on anything mobile/video/PC games.

And is that total counting what mom and dad bought for you between the ages of birth to, say, 13 or whatever? Because the 7 year old is not buying that new XBOX or PS console or PC and six games during the year normally...
  7. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Seems low, Diablo Immortal costs $230,000.
  8. Tucoh Augur

For average self described gamer that might be right. For anyone browsing this forum? Not even close. Some of you boomers blew that in 2020 inflation adjusted bucks in the 90s. $3895 in 1995 is $7574 in 2022.

[IMG]
  9. Thunderkiks Augur

Seems low. I'm over half that already on this game lol!
    Nilwean likes this.
  10. strongbus Augur

me and wife have 6 accounts each. some are paid up for a year at a time others are not.

but even if we did all 12 by the monthly price + basic exp each year for each that $2,724.00 a year couple new system every couple years + any extra daybreak cash.(when it comes to mounts/illusions/familiars my wife is like pokemon gota collect them all) it adds up wouldn't take long to get to that amount.
  11. Svann2 The Magnificent

Counting just "serious gamers" maybe. Serious being defined by spending habits.
  12. Velisaris_MS Augur

That ad is a pretty big hit from the nostalgia pipe. :D
  13. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Over a lifetime? That's not a stretch at all. Especially for people that play games with a lot of DLC and other microtransactions. Or mobile games with their many microtransactions. Hardware costs alone, unless you're rockin low powered systems all the time add up very quickly.
  14. Khat_Nip Meow

When the Atari 2600 came out in `77 it retailed for $190 which is equivalent to ~$900 today.
  15. Stymie Pendragon

Death and taxes my friend, and he who dies with the most toys wins. I didn't make the rules, but I'm playing. :)
  16. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

What’s your /played?

I’m going to wager you’ve invested nearly 10,000 hours which would be eye popping than $58,000 over a lifetime for a hobby.
  17. Nennius Curmudgeon

I don't pay by the hour, but, I just did some rough figuring. It looks like I have spent about $5400.00 on EQ since October of 2000. I started a second account in 2019 and that i included in the figure. I don't buy krono or DBC and with the exception of a video card I have never bought any hardware specifically for this game. This computer gets used for work far more than EQ. Might be why I have never had a character with BIS stuff. At 62 I might play for another 20 years...maybe. So triple my figure for a lifetime expenditure. Maybe. I also don't have a console. The one my kids use was a gift. All in all, I have a pretty small gaming footprint compared to many folks.

Point is that many gamers probably do spend pretty freely on EQ and I don't think that the story from Fox is out of line at all. For those who don't like Fox (line forms to the left) it should be kept in mind that there are many stories with no political content at all and if you ignore the kneejerk comments below you can find some really interesting stuff on their website. I read lots of sites and I find bias in most of them.

And still, it is cheap entertainment for me. I spent a ton more for a hobby when I was an active model railroader. Glad I didn't add that up.
  18. Bigstomp Augur

I enjoy gaming. So that is getting ahead in life.
  19. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

The point I was making is that time is more valuable than money. Your initial reply to the OP saying imagine where they would be, if they didn’t spend that money.

So, where would you be if you hadn’t spent all that time in EQ?
  20. Nennius Curmudgeon

It was a good point, that I missed. Hard to say for me. I play EQ and the kids and the wife can come and talk to me. I sometimes hold our new foster son while I play. He is amazing, BTW. And he likes to hold a Grogu doll. Now if he only had the force... All in all it has been fun playing EQ and I hope I can keep doing it.
    Wdor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.