re-roll Yelinak

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by wade_watts, May 30, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nebby Lorekeeper

But wouldn't that hasten the demise of EQ?
  2. Aenoan Augur

Not sure how it could possibly get any worse than it already is. It already feels like they are just milking what little cash they can get and players are to scared to try new games. So development feels kinda stunted. They had to give away an expansion for free at one point because it was so poorly done and received. I need to be fact checked on that but I haven't bought a new expansion since I think UF or HoT. I see more forum posting by CM's than significant development to the core game or at least updates on things they are working on.

Most Krono is just recycled as a trade commodity and its more expensive than the monthly sub fee.
    It'll survive. It feels like the devs are kinda putting in the bare min anyway.

I am here because I love the game, its one of my earliest online gaming experiences but and healthy criticism is ok.

But no I don't' think it will at all.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You mean go against the the entire purpose of krono and break the contract that every single one was sold under? There is no reason to purchase krono if they are not tradable because they are a more expensive way to pay for a subscription then a normal sub. The entire idea behind them is to trade them in game so people can get a sub without having to pay.
    code-zero likes this.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If it is more expensive then a monthly sub fee, is not tradeable and only gives a monthly sub why would anyone ever buy it?
  5. Aenoan Augur

Their lawyers can amend changes at any time and we don't get a say. Do you actually read the Terms of Service and EULAs?

"Daybreak reserves the right to change the price and/or to modify the features and content provided by a game subscription at any time in its .."
  6. Nebby Lorekeeper

I'm not saying banning Krono. I'm saying just make a TLP that couldn't use krono and show these mouth breathers how fast that server would die.
  7. Aenoan Augur

Sounds like a krono is mad.

The purpose was to give players another option to buy currency and to a less extent to extract more cash from players.
    Question is if you knew a sub fee is cheaper why are you buying krono and turning into a trade currency anyway?

I am not gonna argue about this further.

At least its not Diablo Immortal and it could be just as heavily monetized and with Krono its close. Next step. NFTs.
  8. Nebby Lorekeeper

Or if you know the monthly fee is 14.99, why not just buy the yearly sub and you get it for 9.99?
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They can't change the terms on products that have already been bought. At best they could change the terms on krono sales going forward but that ignores the issue that the entire idea behind them is to trade them with other players.

What are you talking about? The only value krono provide in game is trading them for plat/items so that another player can consume them for game time or trade them to yet another player. There is no value in them being no trade as that would mean a player could only consume them for game time which is more expensive then a monthly sub let alone a yearly sub.

People are not buying them to use as a subscription but to trade with other players who might be getting them to trade or a way to get a subscription without paying.
    code-zero likes this.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And that isn't possible since krono is tied in at the account level and a subscription gives access to all their games. The only way to have a game/server not have it would be to create an entirely new subscription just for it and you won't see many people subscribe just for a single server.
  11. Aenoan Augur

Isn't that all access already? So just change how that works. Or remove the krono and offer all access options. Because I don't know anyone who doesn't just automatically pick all access anyway. I think it's default at this point. I don't play other games but the option is there.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Every subscription is all access, they haven't offered anything else for a very long time.
  13. Larsen Augur

People are talking as if Yelinak is D.O.A or something. It's not bursting at the seams, but it has a very healthy population. For my part, I think the extremely overpopulated servers feel dysfunctional, it's just too crowded to do anything outside of DZs when you have a server at 500% capacity. On those servers, literally every grain of worthwhile content is 100% perma-camped 24/7/365, and I hate that. There's plenty of people on Yelinak, just not so many that the game practically collapses under the weight of the server population. I remember on Mischief what an exercise in futility it was to get anything done without a premade 6-man crew because absolutely everything was just picked clean like a swarm of locusts had swept through every zone.

Yelinak just happens to be surrounded by TLPs with highly unique rulesets - Mischief/TB and Vaniki - which means that the server wasn't just the no-brainer next destination for 100% of the TLP playerbase. It has much more competition than any other TLP has ever had, which is why its population is a bit more modest. There's nothing inherently wrong with the server, but if you launch one alongside another with a unique and unprecedented ruleset, and just following another server that also had a unique and unprecedented ruleset, that's what happens. Doesn't make it a failure. It'll face the exact same life cycle as the other vanilla TLPs: pretty popular up until GoD, and then a steady decline sets in as the next generation of TLPs rolls out.

It has been really refreshing to log in and be able to actually find a camp that isn't claimed. You usually have to check several places, but in most cases, I can find something to do without having to wait in line for two hours or frantically check for new picks so I can rush to a camp the instant a new one opens. The big ticket camps are still highly contested, and if you log on during the busy hours, there'll be like eight picks in LGuk. The server is thriving, it's just not grotesquely overcrowded the way some of the marquee servers have been. It feels more like a typical EQ server did back in the day: busy, but not crippled by overpopulation.

And since it will be the only place that offers the traditional TLP experience for the next year or so, it's not as if it's gonna die out. We all know that a large chunk of the TLP playerbase cares mostly for the classic->PoP experience, and Yelinak is currently the only place to get that. That'll ensure that it remains adequately populated until it passes PoP where all vanilla TLPs begin to die. Vaniki is almost a different game, and Mischief's insane loot bonanza has kept the attention of more players than normally stay after the usual expiration date of a TLP. This is why Yelinak's numbers aren't crazy high.

Yelinak is doing just fine, as long as you don't build your entire view of a server's validity based exclusively on player count. If you do that with a server that followed Mischief, and launched alongside Vaniki, you're bamboozling yourself. It's like gauging the financial viability of the air traffic business by measuring the sales of plane tickets the week after 9/11. Yelinak was never going to break population records because of the rulesets of its neighboring servers, but the fact that it has a monopoly on the traditional Everquest experience means it'll remain stable and healthy until the next generation of servers.
  14. Triconix Augur

Nothing but baseless claims and conjecture.

So I guess TB is a massive failure as it's on life support quicker than any TLP to date.

Also, you still fail to answer my question. How does simply migrating population from Mischief --> New FT server = success and profit? Because that's all that would happen, based on your initial claim that 80%+ of TLP audience are just re-rollers. That just means you killed off two servers within a year. Sounds like this goes against long term success of a server, and as a result, an ultimate failure of a server.

It's amazing how I can just easily take your argument and fling it right back in your face with relatively zero effort. It's almost like your entire argument is contradictory and terrible. Oh wait...

And I deem TB a failure. Guess what our opinions equal for DPG? Nothing.

If these new players enjoy it so much, they can continue enjoying it and bringing profit to DPG. What exactly is the issue again? Oh right, absolutely nothing except for the fact YOU want a new server so YOU can re-roll again because YOU are a selfish individual who doesn't care what other people may want.
    code-zero likes this.
  15. Tweakfour17 Augur

You contend there hasn't been significant development since somewhere between Dec '09 and Oct 2010? And we' re supposed to take anything else you say seriously after that? C'mon man. There has been a ton of development to the game over the past decade, tlp themselves, picks, agents of change, re balancing lots of older content such as epics. Oh and 11 entire expansions.
  16. Lineater Augur

Thornblade was an afterthought spillover server. Its sole purpose was to lessen the anticipated server load and queue times on Mischief. From the moment TB was announced, the plan was for it to eventually merge. From what I remember, TB had a pretty healthy pop the first few months. So I'd say it was a massive success. Because without it, Mischief's launch could have been disastrous.

Your "gotcha" schtick doesn't work with Thornblade.

To use an analogy, the server situation was kinda like attending a big movie premiere that has to use a spillover theater to seat extra guests. The second theater just isn't the same. Sure it's the same movie, but you'd rather be in the theater abuzz with celebs and movie stars.
  17. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

If people wasnt to buy their way through expansions I am all for it frankly, so long as they are pumping money into EQ I am happy, since I can carry on playing with a regular guild of great people doing things the conventional way.

All they really do is cut down on time spent in game, and if their wallets allow them to do so then so be it. The only issue with that is the money these folks are blowing feeds into the cheating problem as so many of the people providing "services" to them are rule-breakers who give no f**ks about the game or it's success they are just chasing the revenue.

Removing Krono, making Krono non-tradeable all sound like great ideas in theory but they will not work, anyone who has played EQ long enough knows full well that all of these nefarious activities were rampant long before Krono even existed, the Primary thing Krono does is it allows DayBreak to get a big chunk of the pie & in the process it kills a massive amount of spam for plat-selling 3rd parties, the secondary thing it does is help protect players who engage in RMT from getting ripped off really badly.
    Much safer to use Krono than shoving your details into some dodgy website.
    code-zero likes this.
  18. Triconix Augur

If the sole purpose of TB was to be a spillover server to spread out initial server load, the merger with Mischief would've been planned and set for this year, at the very latest, since its inception. Is that the case? No. As of now there isn't a date set for the merger.

TB was a server opened after the outcry of the vocal minority and is now a 24/7 low population flatline server. It's been that way basically since Luclin with a few upticks here and there, mainly for each new expansion launch.

TB is nothing more than an example of the terrible outcomes that occur when devs take player word as truth. It's now nothing more than a waste of resources which should be merged into Mischief.

TB also shows that two servers with identical FT rulesets cannot thrive together for more than a year. The entire FT-wanting population can reside on a single server, just like FV is to Live. Creating a new one would only exasperate the issue of spreading out a limited target audience throughout multiple servers. You would then be left with 3 low-medium population servers rather than 1 high and 1 low. Again, if they listened to the vocal minority, it would only be a detriment.
  19. MileyVyrus Elder

Bless your heart, Krono isnt just currency for EQ, you simple-minded hacks.
    Skuz and code-zero like this.
  20. Vileborg33 Lorekeeper

They usually launch these guys in pairs. This time we only got one standard rule set in Yelinak and it is way more populated than any of the previous TLPs I've played in Coirnav and Ragefire. The guild I'm in has almost 1000 people and we're easily filling out two raid forces 46+ with more pushing to get there. Maybe we are the zerg guild, idk, but there are quite a few other populated raid guilds out there fielding full raids.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.