Is Heavy arrow Broken?

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Mabizle, Apr 14, 2022.

1. Mabizle New Member

A few months ago I parse rangers poison arrow and flaming arrow. During 2 separate 10 minute runs one for poison and one from flaming i notice that the heavy arrow triggered the exact same amount of times as flaming arrow which the aa states is 1.5% chance of triggering. On the 10 minute run with poison arrow it only triggered one third times as much as flaming arrows showing it is probably 0.5% chance of triggering. Recently I was playing with autofire and taking off the arrow with bow only to see the damage of the strike of the archer and while that goes off with flaming / poison arrow, I am not seeing heavy arrow also triggering or the damage from it in the. Previously I'd see You being casting Heavy Arrow *** . Now nothing shows in my spell tab and with the old bow of the destroyer.

Can any other ranger verify this? Also my Heavy Arrow is maxed.
  2. Fintank Augur

Yes, Heavy Arrow is working as intended.

I'll try to explain what occurs, but it is very rudimentary and not Papa Sancus approved. Lacking the "technical words" but arriving at the same conclusion.

Procs generally are independent of an actual attack when it comes to ranged. It only takes into account that a ranged attack is "attempted" despite the fact you have no ammo to do the actual attack. So, it processes the "round" anyway and rolls your procs accordingly. This is why Poison/Flaming Arrows and augment procs still works regardless of having an arrow equipped. Heavy Arrow is slightly different in that regard since it's not a "round" check. It's an actual skill check for Archery. You can't do Archery without an arrow equipped. Strike of the Archer on the other hand is a "regular" proc that does a skill attack based off your Archery Skill level. Since it's an "actual" proc it is independent of the ammo slot. It checks for the "round" then it checks your skill level and delivers a damage number. So despite the fact that it *is* technically a skill attack it is independent from the actual skill itself triggering. So, Heavy Arrow won't proc off Strike of the Archer because there's no actual "skill check" being done since it's a "normal" proc.

TLDR: Not broken, lots of words. Sancus will correct me probably.
  3. Velisaris_MS Augur

Rezzing this thread.

When the OP originally made this thread, I decided to check for myself to see if Heavy Arrow was firing off. I made an audio for "heavy arrow", really distinctive from other audio triggers so I wouldn't miss it.

Prior to the April patch, I would get the audio trigger for Heavy Arrow every few minutes. Not a great proc rate, but at least I knew it was firing off.

I have not heard the audio trigger fire off since the April patch that changed the body types.

I just ran three 10-min tests. For all three, I used a combat dummy set to humanoid, at a sub-120 level. I also only used the bow...no spells cast or skills used. On the first test, I had Poison Arrows on; the second test I had Flaming Arrows; and on the last test I used neither.

Heavy Arrow never fired off. I checked my audio trigger by just randomly typing "heavy arrow" a couple of times, and it sounded off. Both Poison and Flaming fired off fairly regularly.

So, I have questions:

Is zero Heavy Arrow procs in a 30 min span normal, meaning the proc rate is just absolutely rotten, making the AA pointless?
    Is it actually broken, either from the body type changes or from something else?
    Has the casting message changed somehow? If so, what's the new casting trigger phrase?

If any rangers have logfiles while bowing, since the April patch, has Heavy Arrow fired off at all?
  4. Fintank Augur

I backlogged the last 3 months and it's working fine for both me and my other rangers. Likely what happened is somehow your filters got changed. Unless of course you're on a new machine then it's the default. Go to Options > Chat Tab > Category Spells > Proc Spells (Begin Casting) needs to be set to Show in order to see this.
    Hobitses likes this.
  5. Velisaris_MS Augur

I'll check that the next time I'm in game. It certainly wouldn't be the first time filters decide to screw themselves up.

You're sure you have logfiles with Heavy Arrow firing off after the body type changes?
  6. Szilent Augur

I recorded 141 Heavy Arrows in my guild's Sunday raids this past week.
  7. Velisaris_MS Augur

That's what I was looking for, thanks. So either my filters are borked or I'm just getting an extremely abyssmal proc rate. Not a single proc in 30 straight min of bowing just seemed odd.