Please add Polymorph Wands for Original Era models

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Eumalfa, May 23, 2022.

1. Eumalfa New Member

Please add Polymorph Wands for Original Era models to DB shop.

I miss the low polygon Kobolds, wolves, mychonids & skeletons. I see this subject periodically appear on here & its the one thing about the TLP experience that feels off.
    Eteract, Aenvar and ChiiChii like this.
  2. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I've seen more calls for improvment to graphics than asking for more of the old.

Wolves are just aweful. :(
    code-zero likes this.
  3. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I think the demand for expansion illusions and heritage crate illusions speaks for the popularity of old models.

Daybreak makes money off of the old model illusions in expansions and crates. But I think they should introduce old skeletons, spectres, and wolves Polymorphs for free. :)
    Eteract and Hobitses like this.
  4. Eumalfa New Member

I've seen people complain about it since Luclin. When the "advanced" models toggle didn't give the option for Classic-style Skeletons. And they are still in the game & used for TLP era zones.

Plus, like with pixel art, the low-polygon aesthetic has grown in popularity recently. What with the people asking for a workaround for the old models, I thought I might as well put it out there that "if you add this thing people would buy it."
  5. Hekaton Augur

there was at least 10 polymorph wands removed from the marketplace that i would hope to be cycled back in on a limited basis.

once they brought back all the old heritage crates...wish they would do that again

now with the 64 bits i dont want to see illusions flood the game like titles did but maybe they can run like heritage crates for non playables like a discordian box or an alarian box
  6. Flatchy Court Jester

Still waiting on that tower warden pet illusion wand to reappear!
    Yinla likes this.
  7. Eumalfa New Member

The ideal solution would be to finally add a skeleton models option to the graphics configuration the way other player pets are. Why were they ever excluded?
  8. Arkanny Augur

Beats me, i never noticed they changed skellies lol
  9. shroomy New Member

There's a lot more than 10, I'm not sure why they don't just put them all on the market, what are they going to lose? For that matter just leave all the heritage crates on there for purchase. If anything they make more money. I feel like the reason marketplace has stagnated is the same reason they got rid of forge, they just didn't have the staff left or knowledgeable enough to maintain it. The game is old, I'd bet money the devs don't want to mess too much with the old code lest it spontaneously combust.
  10. Brontus EQ Player Activist

The "new" skeleton models introduced in Shadows of Luclin are universally despised. Instead of walking like a skeleton, they moon walk, and have other unconvincing animations. The current skeleton animation is an embarrassment to the legacy of EQ.

In a recent interview Jeff Butler revealed that many of the new models were created by inexperienced animators. They were so bad that many of the EQ devs laughed when they saw them but due to time and budget constraints they somehow made it into EQ.

I'll go one step further than just requesting a polymorph wand, I request that these "new" skeletons should be removed completely.

There was nothing wrong with the old skeleton models. Necros and shadow knights had access to both white and red models as they advance in levels. This is a clear case of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" maxim. Maybe one of the devs at Darkpaw will care enough to fix this problem.
    Marton and Silvena like this.
  11. menown Augur

I hate the old model skeletons with a passion.
    code-zero likes this.
  12. kizant Augur

Old skelly good.
    Brontus and Eteract like this.
  13. Iven Antonius Bayle

Granting stuff for free is such a bad idea. Polymorph wands caused the same issue like PC illusions and ornamentations: When looking at a PC it is often impossible to recognize its class so that everything is a chaotic mess. PCs can even look like robots and other childish crap its just sad that EQ had changed from a serious RPG into a dressup game for little kids.
  14. Morrigan Bowjobs

I want my old specter model illusion!!
    kizant, Eteract and menown like this.
  15. Flatchy Court Jester

I agree I do not like the new skells. I am wondering what I missed though with the choice of a red skell. Now granted I did not start playing till 04, I have always played an sk from the get go and have never seen this choice. Fill me in please because I use a red skell melee merc and would live a red skell pet to go with it.
    Brontus likes this.
  16. Juzam_Djinn Elder

Got a link to this?
  17. dwish Augur

Old models are popular because they are and always have been far superior to the luclin models which were mostly awful from day one. Old models are a bit rough, but they have a ton of charm. Luclin models are generic as they come and don’t even get me started on the animations which are truly terrible.
    kizant likes this.
  18. Iven Antonius Bayle

19. Jumbur Improved Familiar

We can choose between old and new player models in the launcher settings. I wish they would give us the same option for all the other models. I know most animals have newer models, that are relatively unused. They downgraded many mob-models during SOD.
    Why not let that be a player option too?

For example: It always irked me when I roamed around in HoT, that the holgresh-models were velious era models, while the marketplace and illusions had modern versions.

Yes, I prefer the modern versions. :)
  20. Iven Antonius Bayle

So much content is messed up and I think that there are not enough old devs left that do remember the original state of the NPC models.There are treants (now with the original model) roaming around in GFAY but I cannot remember treants being there at all They were only present in South Karana back in 1999 and for many years later. Maybe also in the other Karana zones. Revamped and merged zones like Toxxulia Forest have also messed up the NPC models like the tiger.

There should be just one simple rule: Keep expansions as they were during their release !
    Which does include to not merge any zones. It is ok to add a few NPCs and objects for expansion wide integration.