Suggestion: Add "known" flag to TS search results

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Windance, May 24, 2022.

1. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Yup! and perma-death too, Respawning is cheating...and they should also "tilt the world", so that you always have to run uphill...:p
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Talk about making this into something that it isn't. I think that people need to learn the recipes through the normal experimentation method or they auto learn them if they are going to be given the recipe through the newer tradeskill interface. I see no reason to give them the recipe but still require pushing the combine button to actually "learn" it.
    Paladin likes this.
  3. Mazame Augur

With all due respect please NO.
    We already have lag issue as it is adding another data base that it need to search every time you open a trade skill window is not needed.

you can already /export a list of what your missing.
  4. Aanuvane Augur

Not all recipes have been discovered. It wasn't too long ago that someone uncovered a series of omelets that had been previously undiscovered/unreported and there is at least ONE research recipe that someone figured out, but no one else can. I think as has been discussed in other threads on this topic, this "gives away" all undiscovered recipes. I don't know if that's one recipe or 100 recipes or 1,000 recipes. The question is do we care? In some respects, I have enjoyed the challenge of figuring out research recipes by trying to "follow the rules" as written in the books on research. In other respects, not being able to figure things out because they don't follow the rules is highly frustrating.

I'd rather see some tweaking about what is available to scribe through books so that the number of recipes is more evenly distributed between tradeskills. The fact that 2,570 recipes are required to max research, but only 570 of those are available in a book versus 1,939 required for smithing, but you can scribe books to learn 919 of them. I'm not suggesting that every skill should only require 122 recipes (fishing), but for 5 of the tradeskills that require materially more combines than the others - that to me is where I'd rather see some leveling of the playing field. Give us a couple more books to cover some of the recipes for Jewelcraft (PoR recipes would be awesome), Pottery (All Molds made with revamped silks?), tailoring (Buried Sea recipes), Smithing (Buried sea recipes) and research (Darkened Sea recipes).

I'm not necessarily in favor of the OPs suggestion, but I don't feel strongly enough to rail against it either. I get how we can all suffer from different physical challenges - even though I've done 350 skills several characters without carpal tunnel issues doesn't necessarily mean someone else should have to suffer. At the end of the day - this journey for the Artisan's Prize is a choice. You don't have to do it - and you certainly don't have to take every skill to 350.
    Hegsheoshed, niente and Nennius like this.
  5. Paladin Augur

I understood that. I am still not in favor. Sorry.
  6. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

https://eqclerics.org still exists, even if no one goes there.
  7. Laronk Augur

There's also the problem of we should just be able to figure out stuff in game easily and not have to do output files and tossing things into google sheets or what ever.
    Kaenneth and Wyre Wintermute like this.
  8. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

The thing of it is.. OP isn't even asking to be handed recipes, which is what every post in defiance of OP's suggestion is trying to focus on.

OP simply wants to not have to click tens of thousands of times to complete the journey to 350. Rather than posting and asking for a recipe book to be added to just hand it all over for a bit of plat, OP thought of a way that these OLD recipes could be integrated yet maintain some integrity by having to make the item for credit.

Meanwhile.. the only replies against it seem to focus on using 3rd party sites and info to find the recipes or get them handed over via scribing books.

OP just wants to take 7 mouse moves/clicks and turn it into 1.

I don't get the hate from the forum "gods."
    scaethach and Kaenneth like this.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

No one is saying you have to depend on 3rd party sites, they are questioning the need to have the recipes already "pre learned" with just a need to do the combines to "finish learning" them.
  10. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

How is manually placing individual items into a box to hit combine a more “worthy” process?
    Barton likes this.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That is the process that has been established for learning a recipe and I see no reason to change it. If they are going to provide the recipe for the auto combine system (like how they do with recipes you learn from books) it should just be marked as learned and not force people to go do a combine.
    Paladin and Skrab like this.
  12. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

I can agree with just clicking a book to learn.
  13. Addikeys Elder

I, too, get "Overseer Hand" when doing these mass combines just to tick up a point or two in the skills. Vacillating between the molds, gems, cuts, etc. is more boring than church. I like the OP's idea as you still have to expend effort/time to gather wheelbarrows full of TS items on your various mules, but avoid busting out the spreadsheets, 20 Firefox tabs, and Biofreeze.

I suppose a middle ground could be adding a bunch of additional tradeskill books to the game to provide large swaths of certain era tradeskill recipes. These books could even be crafted or quested. Put a level cap and certain era requirements for TLP. This would still leave thousands of super fun crafts to "learn" from 20 years ago. That way, some "purists" could keep riding the high horse of the good 'ol days when thousands of fine manipulation clicks to make a Misty Thicket Picnic was a real challenge. The rest of us can get our tradeskills and Artisan's Prize maxed sans the carpal tunnel syndrome so we can tackle Ngreth's next TS adventure.

Happy Hunting
  14. Windance Augur

With respect to lag: I do not think it would increase lag.

The game/server is already going to loop over the recipes and look up if you know the recipe or not to determine if it should be included in the list.
  15. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

From what I remember any recipes that come up in the UI without having to learn or scribe do not count towards the 350 count.

I'd rather they spent time created recipes for rank 2 spells from RoF onward than add older stuff to the UI.
    Nennius and Aanuvane like this.
  16. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

How come they dont have one for research? or is it basically every spell you can make counts towards 350?
  17. Flatchy Court Jester

I would just like a step by step , and by this i mean a very simple guide to 300 to 350. People say well just export this list in to blah blah blah and there you go.

If you already know how to do something it seems very simple, I can shoot , gut and butcher a deer in no time but some stuff on computers is really foreign to me.

Sort of sounds like Goods maps, just download them then stick em in this folder and they work. Well again if you know exactly where they go , no problem, if you dont, good luck.

I would think after already being 300 , then running around scribing all those books THEN doing 3 expansions worth of T3 armor and trinkets for oh i dunno 9 different toons plus baz sales, you skills would already be 350.

In EQ the higher you are in levels the easier OLD content is. I blasted through I dont know how many expansions of content to mark off lists. TS does not get easier as you get older its the same old path. When we got the make all and new ui for ts it was a Godsend. Just please put make a new set of books or an Idiots guide to 300-350.
    Windance likes this.
  18. Aanuvane Augur

I don't know why they haven't created one for research, but no, you do not have to complete every known spell to get to 350. There are a total of 4,092 research recipes that "count" and you only (only heh) need to learn 2,570 of them.

I personally recommend doing all the inks, thickeners, quills, solutions, whatever you want to call all the papers/hides/manual recipes, all the binding powder recipes and then start working on spells/tomes. To keep costs down, I also suggest going from the lowest level spells to the higher spells, but when it comes to the spells and tomes, what's most important is what you have available and what you can farm quickly.
    Windance likes this.
  19. Windance Augur

The path to 350 was pretty overwhelming, even with the step by step guides.

Thankfully we had some wonderful people in my guild who helped several of us translate the various steps in the guides.

Some of those starting trade skill quests in abysmal sea were just WTF, why isn't this combining. Oh I've got to do XYZ ? why? /sigh .... 2 hours later ...

It took me 2.5 years to get the TS aug maxed out because I just couldn't do more than hour or two at a time.

Doing x1000 click, drag, drop's is just painful.

The developers seem to be open to changing the way TS's is done. They added the advanced UI and "make all" button. Then modified it further to show the success percentage, and number of items left in your inventory.

The request to make the advanced UI work on the 'unknown' but 'learnable' recipes seems like a natural progression to me.
    Barraind likes this.
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And others would disagree, that UI is meant for recipes that you have learned and there isn't much point to "learning" a recipe with that UI.
    Aanuvane likes this.