Suggestion: Add "known" flag to TS search results

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Windance, May 24, 2022.

1. Windance Augur

For anyone who is currently working on getting their trade skills to 350 you have to lean hard on 3rd party sites like http://www.eqtraders.com and http://eqrecipes.free.fr/ to figure out what you need to do.

To make matters worse you have to use the "exp" mode of the trade skill container and manually move items which contributes to RSI (Repetitive Stress Injury).

One small step forward towards reducing the need to use 3rd party sites and slightly reducing the amount of clicking would be to show all the recipes with in your skill range and include a column that shows if you "know" the recipe or not.

You would then be able to sort the list, look over the materials require, choose which items to attempt to make.

Here is a mock up of how the window might look.

https://imgur.com/a/en1VlaJ

I can't seem to get the image to show in the post so you'll just have to click the link =/
    Fenthen, Andarriel, Addikeys and 7 others like this.
  2. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

[IMG]
    Hobitses likes this.
  3. Paladin Augur

I don't think I am a fan of this idea.

I know non-trade skillers just flat don't like trade skills to start with, but this really doesn't streamline anything in my opinion.

With the output recipe command (lists all the recipes you know for a skill into a TXT file) and EQ Traders (where you can get a list of every recipe known for a skill), the same thing can be accomplished, except you can see all recipes on the two lists and then figure out what you need, vs what you all ready know (rather than a constant in-game tradeskill device search with limited / narrow results).

Either way, research / notes will be necessary, but I think with the existing scenario, it is actually faster as you can see entire lists rather than limited search results. You can even search a specific ingredient and see all the recipes it is used in, which you can't do in game.

There is / can be a level of adventure and figuring out with recipes, based on the often non-specific and / or vague non-scribe recipe books). Sometimes even more than usual, at least when they first com out (example the 10th Anniversary Cake and the Bristlebane's Challenge were both a race to figure out the actual recipes).
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Perhaps it is the websites you are using?

I think many of us moved beyond those 2 for skilling up to 350 and use

Adetia's
    https://www.townshiprebellion.com/tradeskills-home or

Almer's:
    Alchemy 300 - 350
    Baking 300 - 350
    Fletching 300 - 350
    Brewing 300 - 350
    Jewelcrafting 300 - 350
    Pottery 300 - 350
    Smithing 300 - 350
    Tailoring 300 - 350

There have been updates to Almar's since those were posted. Adetia's utilizes spreadsheets to show what you have and what you need.

And then there are the books you need to scribe that would not show up in this

Its like the maps from Goods and Brewells, these are all great guides for the game and it would be better if the devs used that time for other endeavors - not re-doing something already done by 3rd party sites

But still it would be convenient.
    Daltara likes this.
  5. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

OP's idea is that the recipe will be in the Tradeskill window shown, even if not "learned." This alleviates having to open up the "experiment" Tradeskill window and individually adding every component.

In short, it reduces the number of mouse clicks and amount of mouse movement for these recipes.

This isn't about new stuff (which much is learned automatically by scribing some notes from a vendor) or figuring out specialty recipes. Things like Vellium or Acryllia weapons are pretty basic knowledge, but still require large amounts of clicking to learn ever single variation. The same can go for a multitude of recipes prior to this feature being added to EQ.

They could easily exclude quest recipes and "hidden" recipes if they wanted to.
  6. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

The problem with relying on fan sites is when the fan site ceases to be hosted or maintained. Look at nearly ever class forum. The Druid's Grove, Steel Warrior, Samana's, EQCleric, Monklybusiness, etc..
    Fenthen, B0HICA and Jumbur like this.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

What is the point of having to "learn" all those recipes in the first place if they are already available for you to use? I can see them being listed so you have an idea of what you are missing but shouldn't you still have to learn them with manual combines?
    Paladin, Yinla and CatsPaws like this.
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

You are right - for class forums.

But there is no way on this earth that the devs can do everything fan sites have done for tradeskills, maps, spells etc. The closest they have gotten is with the output file command.

They have not even incorporated maps from fan sites into the game which would have been far easier.

Face it, Everquest has always been a game where they give you enough to get you started and the rest is up to the player.
  9. Windance Augur

Exactly.

The follow up request would be to somehow highlight / filter items on a merchant to those items needed for the currently selected recipe.

Again, the issue is reducing the amount of clicking you need to do while performing trade skills. RSI is a thing. EQ's TS system is literally painful.
  10. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

I mean, I think that's what OP is getting at? They'd be on the list and they'd show the recipe items. You'd still have to do a combine, but you just wouldn't have to pick each individual item from the inventory, put it in the TS container and hit combine.

It's just reducing clicks and mouse movement.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Not sure how that answers my question. What is the point of "learning" a recipe if it is given to you for free in the UI and you just have to click a single button to "learn" it. Personally I think that learning the recipe is a reward for scribing a book, doing the combine manually or getting it as a reward from a quest.
    Paladin and Nennius like this.
  12. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

A majority of these predate the change to the tradeskill interface. If you look at things now, you can go to a vendor and buy a book with a huge amount of recipes already listed.

I'm all in favor of adding a book and then I don't have to manually combine any of them.. but.. it's a bit of a trade off to just be able to have them listed and then have to make one (thus still requiring the material gathering and fail/success aspect).

The whole point is to avoid "doing the combine manually" to reduce the impact on players having to click/drag/drop/click hundreds if not thousands of times to learn these recipes.
    Hegsheoshed likes this.
  13. Windance Augur

To me "Learning" a recipe is just a checkmark.
    Its a record that you have successfully made the item in question.
    Get enough checkmarks and you can advance your skills.

To me, there really is no magic "discovery" for doing trade skills. Its not like you are really mixing random ingredients trying to make a new thing. Most of the time the dev's include books on the vendors that list what's new.

To me, this request is about killing off the need to do "manual" TS combines where ever possible.
    Fenthen likes this.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why not just have you auto learn recipes as you skill up? Sure those predate the books that can be used to learn recipes in mass but that doesn't mean it is intended to learn all recipes that way. I fail to see what the purpose of having to "learn" recipes is if you can just click a button for an auto combine and learn it.

You are right it is a mechanic but what is the point of that mechanic if it is changed to clicking a button to learn it? At that point why don't you just make those recipes auto learned once you get enough skill?
  15. CrazyLarth Augur

si
    the issue is each new expansion makes older lists might not get updated so any thing in the EQ game that makes it easier to see what is needed/missing is ok in my book.
  16. Jumbur Improved Familiar

You still need to farm the mats for the combine, and successfully do the combine. Is the need to look up the recipe on the internet(or online tool) a meaning-full addition to that challenge?
    (although you still need to look up where the mats drop :p )

I think the "intended challenge", is the need to go out in Norrath and hunt in places you have previously skipped.

Imho, anything that requires me to tab away from EQ, weakens the immersion. I think OP's suggestion is good. :)
    Kaenneth likes this.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

There is no need to look up the recipes online as you can find them from in game sources, I just don't think there is a need to have the recipes spoon feed to the player and for them to have to learn it with a combine.
  18. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Are you saying every recipe is described ingame, in those books you buy from NPCs?

In all these years, I thought most were just data-mined(or leaked) from beta...:eek:
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That was my understanding was you could get them from a book but it isn't just straight forward combine these ingredients to get something.
    Yinla and Jumbur like this.
  20. Mayrn New Member

I agree with Waring. You should have to "learn" the recipes via in-games means. This should also extend to only being able to use maps you have created yourself in the game or talk to people unless you are standing right in front of them. You should also have to open all your bags one by one and all banks should be unique and not share all your contents.
    Paladin likes this.