Are enchanters overplayed?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Sctt033, May 21, 2022.

1. Sctt033 Elder

I am going to make one but ever one talks how good they are, are they gonna be super overplayed or should i make a cleric or monk? I wanted to be wanted for groups
  2. CodyR New Member

Play what you want! Honestly if that's what you want to play then play it. Enchanters are always appreciated in groups, but yes there is a large influx of them in the beginning because of how powerful they are. Multiple enchanters in groups aren't looked down upon either, especially when charm comes in to play.
  3. Mattling Elder

Enchanters are so broken from Classic to PoP that every group would happily take 3 of them before any other DPS. It doesnt matter how overplayed the class is, you'll find exp groups instantly
    Zansobar likes this.
  4. Moforyguy Elder

Make an Enchanter if you like people kissing your and saying how great you are. Make a Necro if you want people asking if you need a free port or buffs so you will leave their camp alone. I've done both and I love Necro most for soloing Howling Stones. Enchanter is fun for groups though.
  5. Zansobar Augur

Enchanters are one of the few classes you can stack multiples in a group and just increase the group's power and efficiency greatly. As has been said before the ideal group is probably:

Cleric
    Shaman
    Bard
    Enchanter
    Enchanter
    Enchanter
  6. Pizzanomicon Augur

Not really considering 50 percent of people that play them aren't going to be very good at it.
    Catalina likes this.
  7. Arclyte Augur

Enchanters are the most broken class for the first year of a TLP.

Even a bad enchanter can manage to cast stun->mez->charm. Like others have said, there is almost no group makeup that will deny an enchanter. Don't waste one second worrying about it.
  8. Midnitewolf Augur

You would be surprised with some of the bad chanters I have seen.

As for playing one. I love Chanters. You won't have any issues soloing or general grouping if you chose a Chanter. Raiding? Haven't raided with one but based on my experiences on the last TLP I played they don't seem in very high demand in guilds probably because so many roll a Chanter and I understand they are terrible boring to play in raids.
  9. Pizzanomicon Augur

I mean half the raids you get to use charm pets if your RL isn't lame, so definitely not boring.

Also something to chew on, better to be boring , than to get constant tells for shaman buffs from that ONE MONK who really thinks the extra dex/agi is going to make or break a dragon kill .
  10. Lejaun Augur

Not at all. Enchanter is a great way to go. Many people won't even join/start a group without there being an enchanter. Many a group calls it a night when the enchanter logs and they can't replace them.
  11. Ownanat Journeyman

Don't listen to these enchanter know it alls OP.
    First of all groups don't want you till 11. So good luck with that.

Your good AE stun spells are all research only so you either need to level that up or wait till people get theirs up.

I've played enchanters early in tlps and I never have trouble finding groups true, but some people don't know you don't get breeze till Kunark. I've gotten kicked from so many groups saying. "Oh thought you had mana spell. We actully need DPS. kick."
  12. Dominate Augur

It isn't usually about the fine line between killing the boss or not. Usually it is so they can parse higher. Personally, I never get salty at a raider who is actively trying to improve their raid performance. 10/10 over people who AFK and leech as much as possible.
  13. Omani Journeyman

Play a paladin
  14. Pizzanomicon Augur

I mean my point is that people over value how much stuff helps in this game via stats, at least early on. I'm sure there's an argument for it later, but it doesn't really take much effort to tackle classic content.

I'd rather be efficient than " parsing high." Ego only goes so far.
  15. Midnitewolf Augur

Yep though once you do get to 11, not many classes can match a charm MoB for DPS. Of course, more than half the groups you join will probably get mad if you charm a pet because they just assume your going to wipe the party with a charmed mob do to all the interactions they have had with bad chanters who have done just that.
  16. Lejaun Augur

Not anymore. Most groups get irritated if an enchanter doesn't have a charmed pet.
    Appren likes this.
  17. Hythos Augur

If you've never played an Enchanter before, start one on any live server to familiarize yourself with spells, spell-timings, and how to react when stuff breaks.

Important tip:
    Pacify then mez, can make it so a mob will just walk away from combat (as long as it's not attacked again).
    Also, Color Flux (AOE stun) line of spells will now share a cool-down.

Pro-tip:
    Wake of Tranquility (AOE pacify) + Blanket of Forgetfulness = trains ignore everyone and walk away (if/when it works).
    (*99.999999% of EQ players never knew this combo)

*Probably an underestimate
  18. Fhiele Augur

Enchanters will be desperately wanted for groups though Kunark 100% of the time. In Velious to PoP enchanter is still the best choice, but its not quite as desperate. After PoP the need declines. At launch, after level 11, your /LFG On will not last long.
  19. Midnitewolf Augur

There is still a lot of prejudice out there. I played a Chanter on 2 previous TLPs and can recall numerous times I had to defend myself wanting to charm a pet. I usually had to offer them the ability to kick me if I failed to keep my pet under control and also prove that having a pet benefited the group. I will agree that it is more accepted, but there are still many players poisoned by chanters not knowing their head from a hole in the ground.
  20. Midnitewolf Augur