Forum post limiting feature

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Metanis, May 12, 2022.

1. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Even this group is in the minority as there are more players that don't post or read the forums then players that do.
    Skuz likes this.
  2. ZenMaster formless, shapeless

These are demeaning words.

Many of us are helping the community, receiving help, injecting new ideas, or offering constructive criticism.

Your value judgments are hypocritical.
    Allayna, Nennius, Leerah and 4 others like this.
  3. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

This is gettin' good!
    MacDubh likes this.
  4. Brontus EQ Player Activist

I wanted to thank you for an amazing, well-written, and thoughtful reply. You took a lot of time to write this and I really appreciate this. :)

I understand that the word "selfish" raised some eyebrows. Look at it this way: imagine you are at a company meeting where the company is looking for feedback from all of it's employees at the meeting. One person stands up and dominates the conversation. You raise your hand to ask a question but you get drowned out by that person. Maybe you are shy and an introvert. Maybe you lack confidence but still you find the courage to raise your hand and by the time you can get a word in edgewise, the meeting agenda has moved on and your question/opinion is no longer relevant.

I've attended many company meetings like this. I was the introverted person that didn't get my voice heard because of a few self-centered people that dominated the conversations.

A company is not served well when only a few people are heard and the rest are ignored. Likewise, a MMORPG is not well-served when only a few people are heard and the rest are ignored.

To me, this is an issue of fairness. When a few people are dominating these forums with 30 posts per day, they are in effect drowning out the voices of others who don't have the time or inclination to keep up.

In real life, nobody likes loud, overbearing, and inconsiderate people who monopolize conversations. I understand that there are super passionate people here who like to post all day and night. All we are asking is that these people show some restraint and stop posting so much, or if that is not possible, institute a post limit for all accounts. This request is not the end of the world as we know it. It's just an attempt to make the forums more representative of the actual players who play EQ.
    Metanis and Chikkin like this.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That is a horrible example, this isn't a company meeting where only one person can talk at a time. Multiple people are able to post and be heard without any issues.
    Allayna, Skuz, Tatanka and 2 others like this.
  6. Iven Antonius Bayle

@Brontus

There are always more and less active users in the forums. Of course the more active users are dominating discussions but this is not something bad it is just a natural process. It is just logical that the silent minority cannot be heard because it is... silent. Active users do invest much more time (= energy) which inactive users don't do, so it is just fair. Everybody can bring in itself to even that out. Someone who is not attending in political processes is called an idiot by its original definition. Everybody can become
    <An EverQuest fanatic> (scowls at you ready to attack) and is welcome to join the Irontoe Brigade. :cool:
    Skuz and Nennius like this.
  7. Nennius Curmudgeon

/popcorn
  8. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

/nod
    Nennius likes this.
  9. Juzam_Djinn Elder

Wouldn't one of the solutions to that be "post more than once a week?"
  10. Dre. Altoholic

Arbitrary limits are dumb.

I'd like to see the forum go "Reddit style" where the popular replies to the subject get moved up the thread, and two idiots going back and forth with each other get collapsed and buried.
    Barton, Stymie, Chikkin and 3 others like this.
  11. Suffer Lorekeeper

I personally don't have an opinion of the mechanism or mechanism's to be used.

I fail to see how encouraging people in some form to consolidate their thoughts into a proofread and articulate point is a bad idea.
    Metanis likes this.
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

This implies you would have preferred me to reply to all of it.

Are you sure about that?

[IMG]
    TheAgenda likes this.
  13. Chikkin Augur

haha I clicked like before I finished reading... (at the comma) and then finished reading about the two idiots, and suddenly started spamming the like button as my version of "so much this".
  14. Leerah Augur

"Toxic?"[IMG]
    Nennius likes this.
  15. Leerah Augur

Speaking of new moderators and community members, the significance of the 2007-2009 (?) reference was when the community was very angry about several nerfs as well as censorship. It seemed as if every 3rd post was locked and/or removed. Forum bans were flying right and left. I got 6 accounts forum-banned myself.

That's what happens when you try to shut people up instead of listening to them.
  16. Leerah Augur

OK, but not the part where you have to have a minimum reputation to post. It's been a year and I still can't ask a question on a stock trading forum.
    Chikkin likes this.
  17. Bigstomp Augur

Instead of 5 new members a week we'd have hundreds
  18. Bigstomp Augur

It's literally a forum for discussion. You are advocating shutting down discussion. By definition every comment represents the player base as the player base made those comments.
    Allayna, Leerah, Skuz and 1 other person like this.
  19. Allayna Augur

Last activity:
    A moment ago

Now I don't post often anymore, I don't feel it as necessary as I once did as a guild leader. I generally only post in a bug related way on the bug forums or in class specific discussions to either answer a question that a player may have or to offer feedback to a suggested change made by another member of these forums.

A post limitation is not the answer in a game that is shrinking as the player base dies off.

There is a loss of knowledge about everquest every time a player quits the game or croaks. Shutting down open discussion is not the answer to the problem that has been posed here.

Several solutions have been posed, such as ignoring the individual poster whose opinion differs from your own (although not a completely healthy coping mechanism).
    From what I've read of this thread, the OP and some in support are frustrated about being under represented to the developer team about issues, whether it is class balance or game direction...

I find that if I have a particular question, a respectful PM to a developer or the community manager is answered rather promptly but that could just be my half elf paladin privilege.
    Skuz and Metanis like this.
  20. Benito EQ player since 2001.