Modern server without boxing?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Noobnoob, Apr 19, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Protius Make Everquest TLP's Great, Again.

All I get out of this is a type of frustrated panic like when dad will take the keys to the Corvette away if you don't mind your manners. My previous statements still stand as such.

A no-box server can be done and when it comes around it will be glorious when you are on your own server boxing with other boxers while players who prefer to play with other single players are on another.
  2. Flatchy Court Jester

If we make a server for just that can we make a forum for just those people too?;)
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and MacDubh like this.
  3. Protius Make Everquest TLP's Great, Again.

Oh, yes a separate forum heading is in our future. Hallelujah, brothers and sisters!
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I don't box so a boxing limit has no impact on me at all but that doesn't change that they have not shown any ability to enforce boxing rules and when you have households that have multiple players who play together it becomes hard to separate the groups of players from the group that is played by a single person.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  5. Protius Make Everquest TLP's Great, Again.

Enforcement for third party program abusers and bot-boxers and boxers can be done. Period.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If that was so easy why do we see plenty of reports on TLP servers about people who appear to be using those tools for their advantage? I understand that is the goal but that doesn't mean it is as easy as you think. Not to mention it is perfectly possible to play multiple accounts without using any special software or tools.
  7. Protius Make Everquest TLP's Great, Again.

That all depends on what goes on in the meetings with the current gaming company. Difficulty is a matter of Darkpaw Gaming making it more of a priority in my opinion. It is perfectly possible to release one server for boxers and people who don't mind playing with them along with another server with no boxers. These are great times we're living int, brother!
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

What do meetings have anything to do with the ability to detect people who are using third party software to cheat or are violating rules in other ways? From what I have seen on the forums recently they do appear to be taking a more aggressive approach because waves of people are getting suspended/banned each month which shows they are working on it. However that doesn't mean that they can catch everything let alone do it easily.

Considering that they have released a server with a hard box limit of 2 accounts per player and people reported players violating that rule on the server makes me question what you are saying.
  9. Protius Make Everquest TLP's Great, Again.

There you go, again! You answered your own question. Agreeing to disagree even if you won't type it out yourself. You're such a pal. I think it might have to do with something about a certain comprehension level, again, but progress is progress.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

What exactly did I answer? By stating that they are working on removing cheaters but still miss people who cheat when they do it? I never said that they are doing nothing just that they have no way to catch everyone. Making server where you can't box but only catching some of the people who box would cause problems and discontent on the server.
  11. Protius Make Everquest TLP's Great, Again.

Theoretically speak of course. I think a box and no-box server combo release is a splendid idea. It would alleviate the already toxic environment and frustration non-box players already experience with bot-boxers by keeping them in their own isolated server to compete boxer to boxer. Individual players can be baddies as well, but way less frequently. You do keep answering your own rhetoric btw.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

While it might be a good idea from a player perspective doesn't mean that it will actually work in practice. They did that exact idea with the Adarune (only 2 accounts per player) and Rizlona (unlimited boxing) and you still saw complaints about boxers on Adarune. You keep trying to suggest things that they have already tried and appear that they did not work as expected.
  13. Protius Make Everquest TLP's Great, Again.

k
  14. Protius Make Everquest TLP's Great, Again.

It is still doable with proper enforcement.
  15. Sumelar New Member

That's because modern MMOs are fast paced. You can technically box in WoW, but you'll either require software to make it work, or you'll do everything really really crappy. EQ is slow. That's why boxing is possible here.
    Skuz likes this.
  16. Tucoh Augur

This is 100% true. Just to color this fact, I boxed on WoW briefly a couple of years ago. The problem with WoW is that most of the content is intended for solo play, so I had trouble stressing even the fury warrior / shadowpriest 2box I set up on the outdoor content. There is hard content intended for groups of 5 people in instances, of course, but that'd either require me to either set up a 5 box for it (expensive and annoying) or to play with other people which is annoying to the group when you're boxing.
  17. jeskola pheerie

You can wear rose-colored glasses and be ignorant, but he is telling the truth. Anti-boxing measures can and will always be circumvented by some.
  18. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

This is the kind of idea I would summarise as idealistic daydreaming.

Looks good on paper but doesn't work in practise due to how expensive to "properly enforce" it would actually be to make it work in reality.

We've seen it attempted & fail spectacularly already, and that was with server-dedicated GM's to boot.
  19. Protius Make Everquest TLP's Great, Again.

There really should be a Captain Obvious title for things like this. Also, a no-box server would be enjoyed by those of us who don't want to see programmed characters with TPP's or intentionally rolling on gear so they ultimately have 2-4x's higher chances of sitting in the beloved East Commonlands tunnel or the grand Bazaar for auction. Unless, of course, they fully mean to juice up a another alt with BiS goodies.
  20. Protius Make Everquest TLP's Great, Again.

Cool buzz phrase ya got there, kiddo. It still doesn't stop some of us who would like to see discussions of a no-box server and you all are not going to stop me from sharing ideas with others who might enjoy that kind of discussion on this forum. Have a nice day.

C'est La Everquest...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.