For those heading to Yelinak

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Aenoan, May 13, 2022.

1. Aenoan Augur

Have you all decided on a class yet?

I am sort of tossing around the ball between a shaman, a ranger and, a paladin. May be a necro. But I think those are my top 3.
  2. MarttinPH Augur

I think the "meta" would suggest that you choose the Shaman. Paladin/Ranger are underwhelming in classic ( I think). You may want to include what your goal for the character/account is as well.
  3. Gnomie Denser than most

Play what you think you'll enjoy the most. If you want to play an underrepresented class, Play Rogue, Ranger, Paladin.

I've played a rogue every classic TLP i've played on, and it's probably the weakest melee class in classic, but I have a blast every time.
  4. Aenoan Augur

I love the tenacity of how this was twisted this into something more complicated. It's practically a one word answer. I know I just woke up and I haven't had coffee so I am a little testy.
    But I was looking for to seeing people maybe try some new stuff rather then chase in some futile meta race.

I picked my classes because I don't reroll nor am an alt-a-holic. So I'll play classes I've never played before. Actually I probably do have toons from tlps I've attempted but I am not about to login on every server to check.

Lets try this again with feeling.
  5. Zansobar Augur

Necro or Shaman out of those you listed unless you like playing classes just for the flavor and not for the effectiveness.
    Catalina likes this.
  6. Aenoan Augur

I wasn't asking for myself I was asking the server about their choices.
  7. rangerous Elder

There are a lot of people rolling rogue and ranger this time around - at least by the guild sign up sheets I have looked at.
    Aenoan likes this.
  8. Branntick Augur

So far I've played Monk, Rogue, SK, Ranger, and Shaman over the years.

Part of me really wants to play a Necro, but I don't think I can stomach playing a caster during the 70s era which is one of my favorite eras of EQ.

I had fun with the Ranger, but they're just unimpressive for too long. Outside of Luclin and PoP being busted archery eras, your only real purpose is to cast Auspice and ATK buffs. This doesn't change for a very long time.

So with that, I'm pretty much torn between Monk and SK again. Monks won't drop off on Yelinak for like 2+ years, and SKs literally never drop off.

It's a tough choice.
    Bobbybick likes this.
  9. Haak Augur

I'm doing a Druid main for the first time. I'm normally a Ranger or Enchanter. I feel like Druids are about to have their 'moment' in the group game with the increased charm options and the dot revamp. I want to lean into that and see how it goes.
  10. UltrawideGameGuy New Member

Wasn't the dot revamp years ago? Or have there been more changes? I try a druid on every TLP and after the initial rush of leveling groups who will take any healer, nobody wants a druid in their group. It's painful and awkward starting mid 40s at the latest.

As for charm, tried that too. For some reason, Druid charm seems to break so often. Any tips on new charm leveling zones for Druid with the animal identifier changes?
  11. Zansobar Augur

Druids got their dots revamped - necros did not get all their dots revamped sub level 60 or so. So the only strong necro dots sub level 60 or so are those shared with shaman (who also got their dots revamped). As far as charm you have to have an enchanter for tash and a shaman or mage for malo to get the most out of charm.
  12. Mhad Lorekeeper

I have always dreamed of starting a server as my BST, or maybe even a BER... So if I return, I'm quite certain that Beastlord is what I will play. Although I was quite fond of my Mage as well, it just wasn't the class I enjoyed the most.
  13. Gnothappening Augur

I don't suggest paladin until things are getting close to SoL. They have it rough prior to that as all you have for tanking is flash of light.
  14. tikles Journeyman

I have a strong urge to roll a rogue as a main. I really wish they revamped poison or something to make them more dynamic in early TLP. But, with that said, and coupled with my desire to return to luclin to raid in era, I must be a glutton for punishment.

Rogue plus... an enchanter druid so at least I can get exp groups? Or, shm and some type of tank?
  15. Aenoan Augur

As a rogue I cant imagine you not getting groups. I will take all of god unwanted children in my groups.

I am not even remotely worried about that. Its about enjoying the game.

I mained a monk on live and so there is a certain threshold of nostalgia for that class, its probably something I will never reroll. But I personally try to avoid making the same class twice.

My problem is if I roll a shaman which us my first choice because I dabbled with it on test and it very much suits my play style and role (love supports)
    All the cool stuff happens in raids.
    My jobs not super flexible for raids. Well it is in some ways.

Paladin looks fun just gor easy rot gear...lol.
    Maybe it'll be an alt I can gear up. I dunno.
    Ranger I mostly just love the vast amount of weapon and armor quests. I love questing.

Shaman + Beastlord box? Lol

Can some one refresh my memory. Spiders Bite poisons are they rogue psns? Back during the super early TLP days it was sooo broken for us it was manditory on raids because it completely trivialized racing.
    I assume they fixed that?
  16. Fhiele Augur

I had the same thoughts. What settled me against paladin was how horrificly bad their DPS is. Other 3 are fine.
  17. Aenoan Augur

If you stick to undead you would be rather surpised. Once upon a time I watch a high elf pally solo all of deadside guk way back in OG EQ. I was astonidhef as I struggled to reach the Raster camp as a monk lol.

If they'd just launch more servers like Yelinak a little sooner, I'd play them all... haha.
  18. Regismkv New Member

Mained a rogue last TLP. This time around I'll be maining warrior.
  19. Aenoan Augur

It's a solid choice. I think warriors are good but other games has tainted EQ tanking in some ways, they just do it way better.
  20. Slaytanik Elder

I've been a monk every TLP I've played. Someone introduced me to the necro on Mischief and after leveling one and seeing their true potential, I was instantly hooked.

Going Necro as my main on Yelinak.
    Aenoan likes this.