THE Merc changes

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by CatsPaws, May 11, 2022.

1. Alnitak Augur

Why hilarious? I use J5 mercenaries at low level every time I need to PL a new toon. Shrouded characters still have J5 mercenaries, which are way overpowered for the level. A J5 tank merc can easily tank a red-con named with a whole posse of guards all by itself.
    I fact, I am uneasy about this "J5 mercs for all" change. I am expecting a nerf-bat hitting the mercs due to that overtuning.
    People are often saying that a J1 tank merc is good enough to breeze through early levels. In my experience - J5 tank is an immortal brute up-to about lvl 65-70. Soon enough people will post complaints about how trivial early levels become with J5 tanks and they will be nerfed. So goes my PL method...
  2. raylone New Member

that a odd baseless fear, if end game was 65=70 ? sure nerf incoming but that literally 50 levels bellow max , 15 levels bellow current buyable heroic which is going go to 100 so again why would they nerf anything?
  3. Dre. Altoholic

Seems like you've answered your own question.
  4. Celephane Augur

I'm really curious why this thread even exists. Only 2 merc levels now, already stated in patch what they are, both are lvl V (5). What is the discussion?
  5. Act of Valor The Newest Member

everquest players habitually complain about literally anything
    Bigstomp, Hobitses, Chikkin and 3 others like this.
  6. Chikkin Augur

nice timing, I just gave our Froglok Shaman 10 seconds of grief for being a new member, and I had not seen your Forum title before, haha.
  7. Paladin Augur

Actually, I am pretty sure you still have to do the Quest as well, to get access to the Journeyman Mercs.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They have stated that you no longer need to do the quests, the only requirement is having a subscription.
    Loup Garou likes this.
  9. Paladin Augur

The Test Patch notes say, "You must have an all-access account in order to use Journeyman mercenaries." -- that does not read to me that you get them automatically.

And the All Access comment is reads to me that only paid accounts can use the Journeyman.
    Wdor likes this.
  10. Warpeace Augur

I read it this way.

Skuz and Paladin like this.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

What it means as long as you have a subscription of any kind, either one of the plans or used a krono you get that level of merc. They made a different post where they straight out said those quests are no longer required. You can now get the merc as soon as you can hire one in the tutorial.
    Paladin likes this.
  12. MacDubh TABLES!!!

I tested this out yesterday with a gold account that only had J1 merc, test copied and the merc stats were a huge improvement.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  13. Chikkin Augur

I hate to admit this but...

this thread, with the "oh ya!" memory jog that since the last time I played, EQ came out with p2w "perks" has me wanting to see just how much I can stack the deck in my favor and run around OP.

Ya, it's a good thing this isn't a p2w mobile game, I'm really part of that problem of whales spending unhealthy amount of money to boost their account.

However! It's weird how morals, ethics, and justification works because, I won't dare be caught dead cheating in this game, won't risk my account and rep, but soon as you tell me I can pay to do something legally, it's like sign me up.

Does anybody remember the jokes on the original announcement of Legends server? Let me see if I can find the classic Befallen p2w drops screenshot... it was Golden in 2000 Edit1: 2002, and it's even better and relevant in 2022.

Edit2: Well, I can't find it, but when the Legends server was first announced, the world had not accepted the f2p/p2w model yet, and there was jokes going around about the Legends server. -- Me personally, at this point in my life in 2022, like a lot of EQ's player base, I have more money than time. -- But 20 years ago, I had more time than money, and paying $40 on a Legends server was crazy! Or however much the scrip costs, I don't remember.

But anyway, there was a photoshop making the rounds, that showed like some low level in Befallen dead, and they went to loot the corpse and it was a trash mob, but with a caption like "Would you like to pay $19.99 to loot ___(some God tier at the time weapon)__? Just enter in your credit card information."

You never forget those kinds of things... at least in the 'filed away' category of my EQ brain folder.
  14. eqzekisdead Augur

Low level pvp on zek just became pay2win. It is impossible for a lvl15 to kill a j5 merc, even with the best weapons in the game.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Paying for or using a krono to get a subscription isn't pay to win.
    Wdor, Laronk, Nennius and 1 other person like this.
  16. Laronk Augur

So your thought is they would take away the current ability to use a journeyman merc at all without the quest despite currently any gold account has access to j1 merc and the j1 merc is noticeably better than the a5.

Think about your thought process for a moment. You will see it’s obvious that all paid accounts will have access to the Journeyman merc.
  17. Nennius Curmudgeon

It seems like Pay to Play. Winning...maybe.
  18. Laronk Augur

I think everyone on the forums would be ok if mercs didn't work on Zek at all. We should all start a petition to make mercs not work on zek I think you're right eqzekisdead.

I think the one caveat would be that it would have to use exactly 0 dev time to get everyone behind this change.

Back to the real point, the people who actually want to fight as level 15 twinks can probably agree to not use a merc. The people who don't want to die to level 15 twinks "with the best gear in the game" can... probably just use a merc and be protected.
  19. Bigstomp Augur

Just give us the best merc, regardless of quests. There is zero reason to punish people with even worse mercs.
    Aenoan likes this.
  20. Warpeace Augur

Did you read the quote from Ngreth?