THE Merc changes

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by CatsPaws, May 11, 2022.

1. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Per test patch:

Mercenaries have been simplified. There are no longer Tiers of mercenaries, only Apprentice and Journeyman ranks.
    - - The Apprentice mercenaries are the former Apprentice Tier-V while Journeyman mercenaries are the former Journeyman Tier-V.
    - - You must have an all-access account in order to use Journeyman mercenaries. This includes temporary all access gained through using Krono.

Seems pretty plain. If you don't pay then you get the lame versions. And if you do pay you get the old J5
    Skuz likes this.
  2. Loup Garou De loop de loop

Wow, this would mean that All Access accounts get journeyman mercs from conception. Like in the tutorial at level 1. Woot!
  3. Velisaris_MS Augur

So, I guess the "No Heroism Without Fear" task becomes totally irrelevant now? As do the quests in SoD? If you're a gold account, that is.
    MacDubh likes this.
  4. Burdi Augur

Today Eq became Pay to win !!!! AaaaaaaHhhhhhhhh!!!!
  5. Jumbur Improved Familiar

You still get those combinable augs as quest-rewards and paragon-gear as achievement-rewards I assume? So it is still relevant...
  6. MacDubh TABLES!!!

There will always be people who are upset when someone is given something that they had to work for rather than be happy people have things a bit easier.

"I had to do x and I turned out just fine"
    Narrator: he wasn't fine
    Wayylon, Chikkin, Hobitses and 2 others like this.
  7. Loup Garou De loop de loop

Well the quests in SOD are part of Rallosian Battle Figure and progression thru SOD itself so they are not wasted.
  8. Smokezz The Bane Crew

No it didn't. Journeyman mercs have always required All Access.
    Chikkin, Skuz, Yinla and 7 others like this.
  9. Velisaris_MS Augur

Well, I was talking strictly about the merc unlocking part, but yeah...people doing them in era will still get something out of them I suppose.
  10. TheElusiveFox Journeyman

I mean that is a joke right lol.. between the well everything, EQ has been pay to win, basically since it went free to pay.
  11. Wdor Thief, Assassin, Purveyor of Fine Poisons

I wonder. Have FTP accounts ever been able to do the Journeyman quests? If so, will they still? I have always been All Access, and have never really paid attention.
    Ileasa likes this.
  12. Smokezz The Bane Crew

No. All access has always been required to use a Journeyman merc. They can DO the quest, they just can't use the result unless they're all access.
    Wdor and Skuz like this.
  13. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Nope never have. F2P and Silver could only ever quest for and use Apprentice. It used to be that Free2Play accounts can only have Apprentice mercs, and then only up to Tier 2.

All Access are the only ones that can use Journeyman

But they don't really say if the new Apprentice will be A1 or A5 or whatever. And what will the Journeyman be? J5 right off the bat?

Prob will just have them level with the player as they do now
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

From your first post with the quote of the changes it seems pretty clear that they are keeping the best tier for each of the mercs which is A5 and J5.
  15. Pelrond Elder

SOD quests give some really good armor. Paragon. Well worth the effort.
  16. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

17. Dre. Altoholic

J5 mercs at low levels are going to be hilarious.
    Wdor, Skuz, Tatanka and 1 other person like this.
  18. Captain Video Augur

On the test server, the available mercs have either A5 or J5 stats, depending on what you chose when hiring it.
    Skuz likes this.
  19. Laronk Augur

For people who had actual free accounts the jump from a1 to a5 won't be that bad actually.

This otherwise cleans up the merc purchase ui a bunch.
    Wdor and Skuz like this.
  20. Chikkin Augur

This thread had me hooked as soon as I read "merc changes"