What to do for leaving/coming back to EQ

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by uberkingkong, May 10, 2022.

1. uberkingkong Augur

So your about to quit EQ for awhile.
    1. What do you do, or what SHOULD you do? pretend you will come back in 6 years.
    hotkey setups?
    macro setups?
    ui setups?
    Anything else?

do you know the names of these files too or no?

Do you put these in cloud or someplace so when you come back just pop in the files?

2. Now your coming back after 6 years, what do you?
    download the maps?
    Is there some build/setup site you go to to copy and paste the files to your EQ so your using all the AAs and macros the pros use? No need to spend hours and hours relearning, remembering which AAs to use, what is a fellowship, what is this and that. How to do macros, etc.
    Copy and paste from cloud you saved your settings a long time ago from?
    Anything else?
  2. zleski Augur

I took a break for 19ish years. I had no idea what I was doing so I set up everything from scratch. I expect the same would be true for 6 years, too.
    Wdor and Tenafter like this.
  3. Iven the Lunatic

Backup

Space needed: 500 - 1000 MB

Folders:
    • Main directory: All ini and txt files
    • Audio triggers
    • Logs (just for nostalgia; don't copy those back and rename them or the folder)
    • maps (only subfolders)
    • Screenshots (convert the files to high quality jpg)
    • uifiles - Just custom files, UI will be revamped soon
    • userdata
    Store them on at least two external mediums inlcuding a magnetic harddisk and SSD/USB-Stick/SD-Card.
    Optionally also store a copy on a cloud or webspace service.

Restoring
    • Download and install EQ from the website
    • Copy and paste all stored folders and files into the EQ installation directory
  4. Tenafter New Member

You’re right. I came back 3 weeks ago from a 6 year break and started everything besides the characters from scratch. I did have everything from 6 years ago on an external hard-drive, but I wasn’t sure after that many years if I would have conflicts with certain files.
  5. Arkanny Augur

I just delete EQ folder every time saying to myself, "yeah i'm pretty done for real this time" and then 4-5 years later here i am starting my setup from scratch xD
    Stymie likes this.
  6. Elyssanda Bardbrain

one of my guildees runs his EQ from google drive, so everything is always saved and backed up.
    Stymie, Wdor, Nennius and 2 others like this.
  7. Celephane Augur

WTF? Who cares about 6 yr old logs?
  8. MacDubh TABLES!!!

Every time I have returned I have started from scratch, even going so far as to join a new server.

Unless you have a really good memory there is way too much going on in current EQ to remember what is going on after a 1+ year break.
  9. Iven the Lunatic

Oh those can be fun to read after a few years. :)

UI files can be in conflict but you cannot do anything wrong by replacing files with a backup. If things do not work you can always run the patcher again. It does also make sense to compare eqclient.ini entries as some entries might be obsolete and new ones have been added.
  10. Tucoh Augur

I started checking my UI files, GINA triggers, inner space boxer files into github.com
  11. zleski Augur

GINA triggers in Git is sure interesting.
  12. Svann2 The Magnificent

Even if you dont leave you should backup certain files.
    /GimaSoft
    ui mod files
    eqclient.ini
    name_server.ini
    ui_name_server.ini
    /userdata
    /audio triggers (if you use these)
  13. Burdi Augur

Redoing constantly my ui setup is part of the fun to play EQ.
  14. Iven the Lunatic

That can be challenging !
  15. Wdor Thief, Assassin, Purveyor of Fine Poisons

The worst for me. I'd rather wank with razor blades.
    Zarkdon and MacDubh like this.
  16. DruidCT Augur

That is quite a mental visual.....
  17. Grotbogger New Member

I copy my whole eq folder onto an external hard drive. Every time I go to move computers I copy it over into my new comp. Have had same folder for 19 years.
  18. Koutarou_E'ci Elder

Save and backup your housing info or put enough money into escrow to cover rent for the entire time you expect to be gone and then some.