Account to Account transfers

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by RaineaG, Apr 12, 2022.

1. Flatchy Court Jester

Well that settles that then...

I still wish that I would get a dollar every time someone makes one of these threads!
    Nennius, Wdor, Hobitses and 1 other person like this.
  2. Burdi Augur

Well simple answer is why would it be impossible to move your toons from an account to an other?
    It did it a couple of time and was asked what where the security question of my accounts, and so on.
    So that doesn’t seems that complicated.
  3. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Level 100 Heroic sales support the game, RMT purchases of PLed characters vie playerauctions / Ebay and what have you, do not.
    Wdor likes this.
  4. Whulfgar Augur

They have already stated it will never come back iirc..
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Nothing to do with ebay selling. That selling was pretty much stopped when game devs noticed how popular it was to do that so they figured they would get a bite of the pie and made Heroic Characters you could buy in 2014.

So instead of paying others we could buy Heroics from DBG and keep the money in the game;)

Account to Accounts started a slow death in Feb 2016, staggered thru to the summer with a couple manual transfers and then died by August of that year.
  6. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Years ago they changed how chars were stored, when this change happened it broke the programs they had to merge servers and do account to account servers. For server mergers they have rewriten the code and they have started happening again. Account to account servers they haven't done anything with as far as we have been told.
    Wdor and Skuz like this.
  7. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

My personal opinion is it is just easier for them to sell heroics than it is to bother with account to account transfers.
    Wdor, Skuz and Barton like this.
  8. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

it is to do with ebay selling, this is when they stopped it. Items and accounts were using the mechanic of account to account transfers.. to sell items and accounts. Piece of the pie tools were introduced from the complaints after this.
  9. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Selling EQ accounts on Ebay was banned by Ebay in 2007 - it started in 2001 but was allowed to go on until then which is far before when Account to account stopped in 2016.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2007-feb-03-fi-ebay3-story.html

And that was just one article on a simple google search. I can not find any that show accounts being sold after 2007 on ebay. Please cite your sources so I can be corrected
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That just moved the sales to a different place but they still take place.
  11. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Yeah, that is why I said Ebay on my posts;)
  12. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

You're being pedantic when you knew exactly what he meant. And you know very well the term "ebay" has usage as a verb that does not necessarily have anything to do with the auction site eBay.

Grow up.
    Fenthen and Schadenfreude like this.
  13. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Your logic would make sense years ago, but the new reality is FTP made it safer and easier for those people to sell accounts. Think about how little is required to open a new account and leave it FTP.

From my experience in 2008 with account to account it requires matching names, emails, credit card number, and the expansion purchases had to match. It cost $50 at the time.

If they wanted to they could gauge the interest in the idea and see how many people would pre-order the service. Characters nowadays have so many unique items and progression behind them that starting a new character on a separate account can seem daunting.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  14. Schadenfreude Augur

$75 Great Divide or Sathir auto PL-ed chars with trash for gear, progression or anything of any real value is a far, far cry from back in the day when your #1 raid tank with BiS current expansion gear, weapons, augs you name it could disappear in a poof of dollars. Sometimes a WHOLE lot of dollars.

Can you still do this? Sure, but with nowhere near the same amount of security that they won't be snatched back by the 17 year old who decided to sell up in the first place and has now changed their mind.
    Wdor likes this.
  15. Paladin Augur

As in my previous Post, the 'eBay' concerns and such are easily eliminated by one of the conditions I mentioned... both accounts need to be owned and paid for by the same person.

In short, Players can NOT transfer toons (i.e. 'eBay' sell) to account they do NOT own, themselves.

Yea, I know some mentioned that the DP employees who handle Petitions or whatever, may not be able to see account details (i.e. owner name, etc.)... but that is why they need to charge a reasonable but high fee to deter transfers unless they really want to do the transfer (as in pay the fee), and to cover the employee time needed to cover the verification step (both accounts are owned / paid for by the same person). The cost used to be $25, so make $100, so it's worth DP's while.

After that, it should be just a matter of changing which account the toon is assigned to, and nothing more.
    Kaenneth likes this.
  16. kizant Augur

They've never let you transfer between accounts you don't own. That's the expensive/hard part. Figuring out if you really do own both and I can totally understand why that process is too costly and not worth supporting. Since every account has vet AAs now the number of people who even want this service must be rather low.
  17. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Because it was a process akin to turning lead into gold. Account to Account transfers required a considerable amount of work by person to transfer and move the data from one account to another, including deleting the original. It was far far more than just shifting values in a database. Once you reach the account level things change dramatically in the complexity and the security aspects.
    Nah, never had anything to do with "eBay" selling. That kind of thing still happens. Just different method. It always was because account to account had required an actual person to handle for numerous reasons.
    Skuz likes this.
  18. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

F2P makes this easily worked around. The Seller makes a new F2P account, moves the toon to it, as they fully 100% own both accounts. They then sell the F2P account. The person who then gets the account which is still 100% F2P can then change the account information, and initiate a purchase with the account so that they are shown as paying for something with the account and transfer the character at some point down the road to another account that is 100% theirs.
    Skuz likes this.
  19. Paladin Augur

One of the Conditions noted was 'Paid.'