Account to Account transfers

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by RaineaG, Apr 12, 2022.

1. RaineaG New Member

Back in the day everquest used to have what they called an account to account transfer where you able to move characters from one account to another. It was a great feature and should be brought back. I realize that it was a matter of security of accounts but there are ways of securing it with additional measures. Please look into this feature and bring it back. As a GM back in the day it was a very popular feature.

Rainea Gentleheart of Ayonea Ro
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

This has been hashed out, beat to death and if the powers that be don't know we want it back then they must never read these forums

Even J said no.
  3. Bardy McFly Augur

Last I heard they lost the internal SME around the process and the statement was made that there were no discussions to bring it back.

You are welcome to use this thread to revive the discussion once more now that changes are happening in the company but I would not put hope in it returning.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  4. kyong Augur

Would love to see it return. Bet you they'd love to do account to new account transfer.. (as long as it's gold) :)

Transferred my rogue to my oldest account (made in '99) with full vet rewards before they cheesed it all. Now I have two main level characters on one account....

If anyone is reading this, I would pay $$$$ to be able to log into two characters at once on one account instead.
  5. Paladin Augur

If they can automate /beta copy and /test copy... and they can also do Server transfers.... they really need to answer the huge question for the host of Players who want this (to include myself). As I think I understood it in the past, Dev interaction was necessary due to qualifications related to Veteran AA's. However5, they have since entitled that to everyone.

The Question?

Why not allow / do this?

Put limits on it like:

1) Must be two accounts that are clearly 100% owned and payed for by the same person;

2) Both accounts must be active Paid Accounts (not free to play);

3) No server transfer can be involved (same server only);

4) $50 to $100 fee, per character, since it has been said that Dev time would be necessary, even though it does not seem to be the case for the server transfers and /copy's.

5) Will not involve a Guild Change or removal;

6) Will not involve fellowship change or removal;

7) Will not involve packing up housing or in anyway changing / modifying existing housing;

8) Include a verification process, if need be. Maybe the request must include logging in to the web site, requesting it from one account and then logging into the other account and verify the transfer was, in fact, requested. Or... how about a Marketplace transfer request token (bought on the account and by the toon you want to transfer) and a transfer acceptance token (bought by any toon on the account you want to transfer too)?

In short, the change will simply and flat-out be just changing what account the character is assigned to. Period.

The only Dev involvement should pretty much just be in the verification process (#1 & #2). After that, simply authorize the change.

Now, some how suggested there is a level of account fraud concerns here. My response to that is that if anyone has requested such a transfer and both accounts are owned by the same person... then the fraud is all ready in place, no?

This seems it would be an easy and simple to do, as evidenced by a bug from last year!

Remember the bug where characters disappeared from Accounts?

Well, it was pretty much said that the characters did not actually disappear, but somehow became disconnected from their account. The solution was to message a Dev on your missing toons and in short order (meaning a matter of less than an hour in my case), the toons were reassigned / connected to their accounts. So would it not be just as easy to have reassigned / connected them to a Player's 2nd account?
  6. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

I assume is the problem, after various hacks and online leaks I doubt the CS staff have any access to billing information at this time. It's all locked away on seperate extra secure servers; it's why you can't see your remaining time, etc. in the client any more.

The verification would have to be done by some extra-trusted process.

I really want to move some characters, so I do hope they find a way.
  7. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

They laid off the guy that knew how to do it years ago, back when they were still under the SOE umbrella.
  8. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Laid off or did he just go to Blizzard? Seems like Daybreak could make some good $$$ with transfers but guess they really dont wanna make any lol.
    Fenthen likes this.
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

To be honest I'd rather be allow to play 2 chars on the same account.

Make it a perk, I'd pay more to be able to play 2 of my chars on the same account and would sove this issue.

This may also allow you to be trader on one char and play another. :)
    Wdor likes this.
  10. Febb Augur

Any developer can learn how this is handled, it's not that hard to figure out someone else's code/sql. It's not that hard. I know this because I am a software developer myself.

Account to account transfers requires manual CS review before they can move things. They don't want the added responsibility with the small amount of CS they have. They have dropped many things they have supported in the past because they don't have the CS team to handle these issues anymore.
    Schadenfreude likes this.
  11. Schadenfreude Augur

The myth that refuses to die. You can thank the RMT account sellers who were making $$$ hand over fist selling characters while causing huge CS headaches as people recovered and counter claimed scammed, sold and compromised accounts.
    Wdor and Beimeith like this.
  12. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

The timing is suspect. Not long after one of the last big rounds of layoffs, when the company was still under the SOE banner, was when they stopped offering account to account transfers. When there has been a red name response since, they have cited technical issues. While not proof, that does lend credence to the idea they laid off the wrong guy.

As far as account and character scams, that still goes on today. People still sell accounts on third party sites. As far as I'm concerned, my theory is more credible than yours, but neither offers any tangible proof.
  13. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

I remember posts referencing JChan being key to them working at some point but cannot seem to find anything more than the standard no ETA/no plans responses from Roxxly several years ago.

It is really hard to believe it is a coding problem so complicated it cannot be done from scratch, especially since it once existed. It being a customer service quagmire is easy to believe.
  14. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Jchan did an interview in 2020/2021 in which she spoke of the 64 bit coming in the future and during that interview she also responded that server transfers would not be brought back.

Here is the interview

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/704467915?collection=PPnhu9f-Fhab2A&t=00h58m44s

maybe she will change her mind
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  15. Paladin Augur

The Players are clearly in favor of this and it is an additional source of revenue, for which they could charge a premium.
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  16. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

Yeah, I think that is the latest confirmation of they just aren't going to bother. The Roxxly responses were 2018. There are probably others. I just remember posts referencing JChan as the dev making them work, at least twice I remember seeing it. I wanted to find it for what its worth to show someone who knows how they work is still around.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  17. Mesil Lorekeeper

I would really like account-account transfers happening again. Would be 2 more paid accounts..
  18. Schadenfreude Augur

I have no idea why people cling to the notion that this process was akin to turning base metals into gold, it was shifting values in a database and a whole lot of tedious background checking on the ownership of the accounts involved.

I had my Beastlord moved to a new account when this service was still live and sure enough the move went through fine... except he was still on the original account complete with gear. I had them stand side by side at the big bank in PoK for a few minutes to see if the server would explode from a divide by zero style naming conflict but nothing happened and I manually deleting him.
    Wdor and Beimeith like this.
  19. Bardy McFly Augur

I don't have the exact date that it happened, but it wasn't that long ago that character data was stored as a giant proprietary blob in a file, not in a database. Sometime in recent years (not even that many ago) it was finally converted to a relational database. Knowing both of these things, it's even possible that the old character transfer code isn't even relevant anymore and would need to be written from scratch (albeit easier to work with than proprietary data storage).

If it was a day of work and they could charge $50 per transfer for it, they would have just bitten the bullet long ago. That or they may still be hesitant due to account sales.
  20. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Account to account transfers will NEVER happen due to years ago Ebay selling. done .. mic drop.. end of topic.
    Wdor likes this.