Anyone else wishing for something different?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by NoxiousBaleful, Apr 10, 2022.

1. Gnothappening Augur

There really isn't any reason to do level lock and start it in classic. The whole point of level lock is to cap what people can do. I just wish they would have made Vaniki PvP. But I am also talking from the perspective of a person who wouldn't play on that server anyways. They could really have killed two birds with one stone, the "beastlords at start" people and the "PVP" people.
  2. Rebelicious Augur

I have raided in the worst tryhard guilds before... and won't do that again. Now I play to have fun. This content is already old... pushing and making it a second job is meaningless in the scheme of things. Without a doubt, the tryhard guilds will be on Vaniki. Why does it bother you? They were on Agnarr, Mangler, Coirnav, Aradune... sorry I skipped Mischief and Thornblade. They sure as heck were on Sullon Zek, Zek and a lot of original now merged, live servers as well.

Thing is, 99% of us are longtime veterans... and we're veterans of several TLPs... Starting over from classic is totally losing it's appeal to a subset of folks... who STILL want some challenge and to get to the later fantastic raiding expacs that we all miss out on... because by the time Ldon rolls around 1/2 the TLP is dead... so... donno why it bothers you some tryhards will be there... I could give a rat's whisker... but I seriously do NOT want to have the mind-numbing boredom of the easiest and simplest raids in classic... repeated every damn TLP... like... we finally get to POP... and come on, we know all those raids by heart... we're in TIME in just a few days... full clearing it... But Citadel of Anguish? WOW... been years for me. I'm excited about it... we'll probably end up trying hard just to survive... without "tryharding" to get it on farm status so we can AFK and be sleepwalking through raids the rest of the month.

I'm sorry the new ruleset doesn't excite you the way it does me... but I'm glad there's a standard ruleset server for those who think it's trash.
    Fhiele, Skuz, Zinfa and 2 others like this.
  3. Intercept Elder

Free trade is horrible, zero interest in it
  4. Celatus Augur

It should be. It should have been for a long time. No new tlp should be with out fv style loot. At most it should be the rare exception.
    Xanathol likes this.
  5. Celatus Augur

Why? because you want to feel special because you can sit in a mind numbing raid for 3 hours? In all seriousness though I really dont know how anyone can be against it. If you don't like it dont buy it. If things dont go the way I want with this new lvl capped one Ill quit. I have krono that are as old as krono have been around though so its not like im really buying into this one either.
  6. Haak Augur

It diminishes the accomplishment and hard work put in by those who 'earned' it. Think of it like college: you put in the time and the work, and you get a degree that is simply a representation of your effort. If I could online and buy the same degree tonight as someone who spent four years earning it, with no distinction to employers between how either were gained, then why would anyone spend the time? That's a lot how free trade feels - someone who puts in the effort is indistinguishable from a random casual with money to burn.

There's also a case to make in favor, just providing a perspective against it since you asked.
    Cloudous and Zrender like this.
  7. Celatus Augur

yeah thats a huge load of bs
    Xanathol likes this.
  8. Celatus Augur

I have done all the raids on nearly every class very few if any of them was an accomplishment even when we were the first in the world to do them.
  9. a_librarian Augur

I'd guess it's he makes his krono off tradeskilled or group tier items that are immediately rendered worthless when raid loot is tradeable.
    Zinth likes this.
  10. toasty4800 Elder

That's fine you are in the minority. 2 of 3 highest pop servers are free trade (FV and mischief)

My thinking is they didn't want to kill the Mischief server.

The new servers will have a high pop on launch that will taper off.

Mischief will remain a popular server for at least this next year.
    Sollix likes this.
  11. Sollix Journeyman

Wow, first in the world. You must be awesome at EverQuest.
    HekkHekkHekk likes this.
  12. toasty4800 Elder

First off raiding in this game is not hard.

Secondly RMT has always been around and will always be around, free trade or no, so people can always pay to win regardless.

The appeal of free trade is the ability to give the gear to alts, main change easier, or trade the gear for other gear you want.

Instead of having a bank full of gear that is useless after a while.
    Xanathol, Go Take A Nap and Sollix like this.
  13. Intercept Elder

Free trade promotes toxic gameplay
    I strongly doubt I am in the minority, free trade is horrible and there is a reason it's not part of any traditional tlp
    Cloudous, Dragon Jockey and Zrender like this.
  14. Zrender Augur

There is a reason they are high pop, the reason is that there are only 2 of them. If there were only 2 non-free trade servers they would be bursting at the seams and the free trade servers would seem empty in comparison. Another reason is that FV is free-to-play AND free trade. Oh and yet another reason mischief is such high pop is that it's the latest tlp. I'm pretty much grouping thorn and mischief together because they kinda are one server with all the transfers happening due to empty tb and the profit margins transferring to mischief. Also thornblade's population wouldn't help your argument even if we do say there are 3 free trade servers :) FV and Mischief will both remain strong I think but I would argue that most people either don't want free trade or have tried it and don't like it (me).
    Cloudous and Dragon Jockey like this.
  15. toasty4800 Elder

Explain.
  16. Fhiele Augur

There was widespread shock and complaining about the Selos/Manger release. There were changes made.

I am pleased with these rulesets. I think they did listen, level locked has been asked for before, and I am eager to try it out.
    Skuz likes this.
  17. Alikat Lorekeeper

Looking back through the unlock dates for Vaniki, I think a couple points might be too quick. But maybe the best overall solution is to add 4 weeks to each unlock period starting at lvl 60. It would add a total of an extra 13 months to the server life/time to live.
  18. Digler Elder

I think Vaniki would have been much better if they had simply done a GoD launch server.
    And perhaps level locked it at 50 for two weeks. Then 55 for two weeks, then 60 for two weeks, etc.

Until they were at the level cap. Then opened the next expansions on the regular time table without a level lock. Perhaps with the timing, they could have kept the server in GoD for 5 months or so, and extended the level locks, under the idea of letting people 'experience the content'.

The idea would have been to accelerate a newly launched server past PoP. However, they need to be cautious with opening a server with a level cap of 70 (or what ever GoD is), because there will be those that poop sock to the level cap immediately.

Doing that on a classic launch, and getting to 50 ASAP is one thing. Racing to 70, along with tons of AA is another. There are those that would definitely do it, but I think the vast majority don't have the time for that sort of initial leveling and grinding of AA. And the problem that arises in that situation is people who fall behind, may leave the server.

In my experience, servers 'die at PoP', for a variety of reasons. 1) Player burnout. This happens all the time, but by the time PoP rolls around, I feel like people look around and realize "Oh hey, half the people I knew at the server launch are gone'. 2) Typically the new TLP's are getting ready to launch, and for many people its a chance to start over, simply do content they know and are familiar with. 3) There are those that don't enjoy content past PoP (i'm not one of them, but they do exist).

The more I think about Vaniki, the more I think it'll be a Try-hard similar to Selos.

I understand the accelerated pace of Yelinak, however, I'm not sure its accelerated enough. Perhaps it would be better to launch it in Luclin, or even launch in PoP, as that would open up PoK for easy transport.

Ideally, they could figure out a way to code in Berserkers with a PoP launch and then let the good times roll.
    Cloudous likes this.
  19. Haak Augur

I agree. If you re-read my post, you'll notice I never mentioned difficulty - I only mentioned time. Time is the cost of both higher education for many degrees, and raiding in EverQuest.

It sure has. However, the ceiling on a free trade server is literally non-existent, so the gap between "bought myself some gear" and "bought myself all the gear" is pretty substantial.

I totally agree. Unfortunately, the game wasn't designed under the concept that every single piece of gear should be available to hand off or sell. People may not like that, but I'm going to lean in favor of the decisions that the creators of this content made, rather than determine that I know better and ask for developers twenty years later to change it.
  20. Starshape Elder

Free trade, but not random loot, would spice up Yelinak in a positive way I feel. Hopefully it's being considered.