Casuals on Vaniki

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by internalprime8, Apr 8, 2022.

1. internalprime8 Journeyman

A lot of the focus so far on the new Vaniki ruleset has been on the farthest end of the raid scene at each level cap and there seems to be very mixed opinions on that. One area that seems to be getting overlooked and where I think this server might have some success, is with more casual players. For players who enjoy group play and just leveling up, staying with the "pack" should be more achievable than on traditional TLPs. The unlocks will be for level caps so everyone will be leveling at the same time consistently and you will have access to multiple expansions at once (typically far above the levels you would normally have them) providing many more options for leveling locations.

The expansion unlocks are aggressive but that's only because you are getting multiple expansions per level cap unlock. If your goal isn't to complete the entirety of every expansion before the next unlock, this could be a fun server. I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out and I hope others give it a chance.
  2. jeskola pheerie

BUT I NEED 6 MONTHS IN GUK AND 6 IN CHARDOK
    Zrender and Xanadas like this.
  3. Hekkthebank Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds

This server should be flagged red. That would make sense with the level capping and open world raids which will occur.
    Gnothappening likes this.
  4. mark Augur

2 months and ldon,pop and ykeshia together.
  5. Xanathol Augur

Because Selos was so casual friendly, faster will be even better! :rolleyes:
  6. Haak Augur

I fear casuals will struggle on Vaniki. Initially it will seem interesting, but when they realize they can't accomplish what they want solely duoing with their only EQ friend, things will turn quickly. We'll need a monument to memorialize all the abandoned Beastlords and Bwrserkers that never make it past month two.
  7. Hekkthebank Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds

Go Take A Nap likes this.
  8. Nighthawk Lorekeeper

I don't see why you think casuals will struggle to duo content, the difficulty is the same, you just have to be cognizant of your level and what zone you're hunting in at the time. If anything, it adds way more possibilities of where to solo, duo, or even group with multiple expansions open.
    Vlahkmaak, Haeldar and Skuz like this.
  9. Kahna Augur

Give it up, hun. They aren't flagging this red, you aren't getting PvP. No one interested in this server wants PvP mucking up their gameplay. Better luck next year.
  10. Kahna Augur

Casuals will be fine on Yelinak. Ultra-casuals wouldn't be fine on any server. You can't build a functioning server around people who only play 4 hours a week.
    Haeldar, Nighthawk, Appren and 2 others like this.
  11. Bhane Veteran N00b

Been off since basically TSS, coming back for this. Honestly the server launching with a 40 cap and unlocking cap increases seems more then enough time to max between unlocks, grind out some aa, backfill some aa with autogrant and just in general have an abundance of spots to xp and play at while not having to worry about helping up with the herd for lfg options. Everyone's going on about challenge mode, zerging and racing on this server, but for the average, casual, player, it reads like a great fit

That said, zerker/shm combo LFGuild for server up, xp grouping, farming and socializing, epic fights are great but not looking to bat phone or push for firsts
  12. Mattling Elder

I can't see a reason why anyone would run anything other than LDoNs.

The gear is better than anything you're going to be able to acquire pre-60.
    Overcast451 and code-zero like this.
  13. Hekkthebank Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds

I freaking love LDONs dude.
    Haeldar and code-zero like this.
  14. HowDidIEndUpBackHere Elder

LDON is LIFEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
  15. Pharen Vimes New Member

There is a little bit of talking past each other because 'casual' means too many things. Such as…
    • Players with restrictive playtime
    • Players that don’t focus on end game content
    • Players that play passively, or only with RL partners
    I have plenty of playtime, and I like to be really involved and active in groups, but I don’t focus on end game content. I consider myself ‘casual’.

The appeal of a TLP for me is leveling in groups. I’ve met multiple friends this way, and several of those friendships have extended past EQ. I’ll get to max level, maybe do a few raids, but then I’ll roll up a new character so long as I have folks with which to group.

Vaniki could help deliver that experience with access to more content and less time between advancing level caps. Expansions without level cap increases do not provide the small-group engagement I am looking for. Of course, it may not workout that way (/shrug) but I appreciate experimentation. I don’t think it is for everyone but that isn’t inherently a bad thing.
  16. sumnayin Augur

I don't get anyone's logic. You talk about casuals and you also say they need to compete in current era at the same rate as people playing 20/7....maybe you should change the word "casual" to "myself." I played in 1999-2004 and I never raided in era until PoP and that was because PoP raiding lasted forever.
  17. Overcast451 Augur

Yeah for sure - and I think you can start them around level 15ish? That would also be a big benefit in avoiding overly crowded zones like Unrest and such in Era. Could build up a sizeable amount of points just leveling up in LDoN.
    code-zero likes this.
  18. Appren Gnomercy

How is the XP in LDON pre 65? Because at 65 (recently on Mischief) they are awful AA xp for sure.
  19. Overcast451 Augur

I guess it depends on what you compare it to, of course. I always thought the 'hard mode' LDoNs to be decent XP if you balance it with the loot you can get from them.

Just thinking with the gear available in LDoNs - a lot of grinding in them wouldn't be too bad to progress both XP and gear.

Overall - EQ zones seem to be either Good loot or Good XP, not often both. If they are both, they are usually fairly tough zones.
    Skuz likes this.
  20. Rcbauer Augur

GoD xp in Paw is ridiculous