Could the Everquest franchise survive a great reset?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cronar, Apr 5, 2022.

1. Arkanny Augur

All i'd ever need is for them to do something like blizzard did with Diablo 2 Reborn.
    Dre. likes this.
  2. Arkanny Augur

Would you mind restarting from level 1 on a modern engine, while keeping all your characters stuff? Kinda like Sega did with PSO2 New Genesis? I actually think something like that would be dope.
  3. Dre. Altoholic

Gotta admit SOEMote was pretty dope.
  4. Vumad Cape Wearer

Let me add that my remastered TLP suggestion includes staying pretty true to the classic game so that someday EQ is sunsetted into the remastered version. Maintaining the continuity in the game design in a new engine would allow the live servers to be someday merged into the remastered. A proper remastered game engine would allow current character / mob models to be loaded in the new game, so EQ Remastered could feel classic to one person while feeling modern to the next, based on a few checkboxes in the options.

If this had been done for the Phenial launch, we would all be in a new engine now.
  5. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

The main stuff i would want to keep are all my tradeskill trophies and such im not really concerned about level or gear. Although be cool if they came out with a new Champions of Norrath that was pretty fun for a little while.
  6. Cicelee Augur

I will never again play a MMO for two plus decades like I have with EQ. A game where when I look at /played I can safely say that I have averaged 60-120 minutes every night for 21 years. I will be in EQ most likely until it dies.

But no, I have no desire at all to start over in a MMO or any game with an infinite timeline that I don't know when the end is. Regardless of whatever incentive is given to me to do so.
    Moege, Corwyhn Lionheart and Ozon like this.
  7. Burdi Augur

I an not sure a great reset would make EQ greet againe.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  8. Svann2 The Magnificent

No if everyone's characters got wiped most would leave for something else.
  9. Cronar Elder

I appreciate all of the input on this. This has been very civil and decent towards me, and i appreciate that.

Regardless of game changing mechanics, a big part of what i am talking about is resets in terms of in game economy and ridding the game of trillions of duped plat over the decades.
    Vumad likes this.
  10. Arkanny Augur

I've tought about this myself for a long time. Devs have said in the past that a new engine would be so much work that they might as well do a new game, but that didnt turn out too well with EQ2 or EQnext. EQ has a successful formula, all it needs is that facelift, i'd be all over it. Honestly levels and gear aren't all that important, and a reset with some competent marketing could be a new begginning with a lot of new players coming for the ride.
    An economy reset would also be very welcome at this point. As long as i keep trophies/achievements and other special progression, i'd be all for it.
  11. The real Sandaormo Augur

Resetting my toon would be my way out of EQ. I would post some long drawn out reason on the forums for why I have to quit, explaining in detail all the reasons and let DPG know they are losing my money and they will never recover because my $14.99 a month will make them go bankrupt. People would ask if they can have my stuff but I would have no stuff on a reset so the point would be moot. I would ride off into the sunset knowing I really let DPG have it with my quitting post ( I would add caps in some places too). Then in a few days I would check how many replies I got and be sad that no one really cared. I might even make a new forum character to comment and bump the post up top again ( this would undoubtedly give more people a chance to see that I am no longer playing ). 1 month later as I am making my new toon on a new server, I will think back to that one time I quit EQ......
  12. Paladin Augur

Sounds like a new special rules sever to me.
    Svann2 likes this.
  13. Cronar Elder

Don't ever quit. It would make me sad, and i don't even know you :p
  14. Celephane Augur

Only your idea has completely removed "the game" and created a totally new one. I've played for 22 years, not gonna just let go for your odd ideas. So my answer is no.
  15. Burdi Augur

We should build a wall and make the cheaters pay.
  16. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

They got to get to the mobile market as a franchise.
  17. The real Sandaormo Augur

Shocked Magelo Mobile is not a thing tbh
  18. Svann2 The Magnificent

I guess if there was a great reset it would help the people that got banned. Easier to catchup when everyone else has to start over too.
  19. Smokezz The Bane Crew

This idea is one great way to cure the addiction of a lot of EQ players.
  20. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

[/quote]Do you think that the franchise of both games could survive a reset?[/quote]

No.

Are we changing the game so it has 25-30 levels, or re-designing it so skill and ability gain is nonsensically frontloaded? Or are you thinking you can sell an MMO to people in 2022 with a trial where your character may have just learned double attack and has maaaaaybe 2 skills to use, or almost finished having a single usable bar of spells?

Hail Traveler! You gained your second or third combat ability and finished the first .0001% of your journey, buy the newest expansion and subscribe now to be able to eventually have the chance to learn the other 128. Please note, your gameplay will in no way even begin to resemble what you have done these first 20 levels.

I dont see 2-4 even being on the table. For 2, Legally, I dont think you could convert krono into a non-tradable currency after selling it for real cash as a tradable one. I also wouldnt ever want to be first (or second, or third) to try and make an argument for doing that when being sued. 3 would require a massive overhaul of the architecture, and would bring a lot of new issues with it in terms of names and storage. Also, that only touches on live servers, and not TLP. 4 would require more infrastructure changes for no gain, given surnames exist.

This sounds like stripping away one of the few advantages EQ currently has (a challenging overworld and dungeon setups that require planning) to make it more like other games. Making EQ more like other games is not a good thing for it.

I'm not entirely convinced you play games made in the 21st century. EQ's economy isnt all that bad compared to a chunk of the bigger games on the market. Its actually nice to have a use for in game currency, even if it is "3.5mil or bust". You cant say that in far too many of them. I havent needed Gil for years, I've bought 15 or 16 houses for friends and still have hundreds of millions. The only thing ESO gold is good for after a couple months of play is for trading for cash shop stuff SWG credits, unless they added something since the last time I played, was worth all of nothing. The only game currency stays incredibly meaningful until you're in the top .1% is GW2, and thats because their entire system is balanced around the idea of gold income per unit of time, and everything having a gold cost (and making the exchange of gold to premium currency or premium currency to gold cost the player a significant tax).

As someone who has played multiple accounts since Luclin (it might have been earlier than that, even), it does not. I box because this game that used to have hundreds of people per server playing on all time zones no longer has that presence on every (any?) server and sometimes if you arent boxing, theres really nothing to do at 3am est because you're on SST and theres like, 2 aussie guilds left in the game, total, who, by the way, are still offset several hours.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.