--> New EQ fansite

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Iven, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Iven the Lunatic

@Jedis

There are many versions of the Kelethin song and you should visit the zone to test it. You could also switch the sound fonts in the BASSMIDI Driver configuration so that synthusr.sf2 (which is the EverQuest sound font) is at the bottom of the list . 1mgm.sf2 had been extracted from a Soundblaster AWE32 and many players had used only a Soundblaster 16 Value or a similar 16 bit card which did sound different. It is necessary to restart EQ after making changes in the MIDI configuration.

Some songs will sound better and a few even worse. It is about impossible to replicate everything to its original state especially with modern hard- and software. Windows XP was maybe the last MIDI friendly OS and since then MS reduced the MIDI support and quality with every new windows version. I will try to find a better solution for Windows 10.
  2. xcitng Augur

nice, thank you! :)
  3. Iven the Lunatic

Oh noes, someone hacked my website. :eek:
    See yourself what has happened by clicking on the banner ...
    Rondor likes this.
  4. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Ummm...not clicking.
  5. Rondor Augur

Much mischief!
  6. Jedis Arch Mage

7. Iven the Lunatic

8. Jedis Arch Mage

9. Iven the Lunatic

I have played around with the formulas from your link for 1-2 hours and have experienced that they are pretty inaccurate. Now after I have changed the roundings it seems to result in better matches. 43+65 and 56+85 do work at least. It seems that the matchings are hardcoded into the game engine and that it is only possible to approximating to it with formulas.
  10. Jedis Arch Mage

Thanks. Are you going to update the page with these new findings?
  11. Iven the Lunatic

Already did so.
    Jedis likes this.
  12. Iven the Lunatic

19 old Screenshots are waiting to get explored. Those were not made by myself.
    Rondor and Nennius like this.
  13. Burdi Augur

Ice website, thanks for sharing
  14. Iven the Lunatic

15. Vumad Cape Wearer

I click the second link on the 1st page and it downloaded a MIDI file. I'm sure the file is harmless but any page that downloads anything the moment I load it is not one that I will frequent regardless of the content quality.
    code-zero and Elyssanda like this.
  16. Iven the Lunatic

@Vumad

The site you opened is in its original state from 2004 and the most parts are even older when it was possible to autotplay midi music in the backround. The problem is your browser that cannot handle the old Crescendo sound plugin so instead of playing the music it does only download it which is an incompatibility issue. Use an old one like Netscape 7.2 which I used to create and test the website back in the days, to experience the website in its original state. You can also try a modern version of Firefox but it won't play the music.

And btw, as soon as you do visit (= open) ANY website, your browser does download tons of files into the backround cache without you even noticing. This is where possible cyber attacks more likely can happen, they usually do not occur with visible downloads.

Try this one at your own risk, it should be save and I got my copy from there too:
    https://archive.org/details/netscape-7.2-windows
    In the download options search for WINDOWS EXECUTABLE.
  17. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Maybe fix the page instead of suggesting people download and install ancient software?! LOL
    Schadenfreude and Elyssanda like this.
  18. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I would never recommend anyone use an old, out of date browser. There's a reason browsers are constantly being updated.

If your website has an old Crescendo sound plugin, then it is best that if you don't want to remove it, that people just experience it without sound.

The internet is a dynamic medium, and in 2022, a dangerous place to surf with old, outdated, unpatched software.

I recommend you remove the Crescendo sound plugin, and if you want people to experience sound, then just use the easy modern html or other means,

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Media/Autoplay_guide
    or

https://www.w3schools.com/TAgs/att_audio_autoplay.asp
    Although, in general, autoplay is frowned upon.

I did once ask Daybreak if I could autoplay EQ music on my website for visitors. Although I would have provided a way to turn it off, upon reflection, I'm not sure autoplay was a good idea. It might be better to have it off with an ability to turn it on.

Daybreak never got back to me about the permission I requested, so I've guessed their answer was a no.
    Schadenfreude and Smokezz like this.
  19. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Heck, I even advise people to remove Internet Explorer, and that had support until June 15, 2022. Netscape 7.2 was obsolete May 2005.
  20. Iven the Lunatic

The website is an archive and a big part of it is there for nostalgia so it has to stay original. Nothing there is broken. I won't recommend an old browser for anything else than viewing old websites.