1Hr Unity quest request timer is ... PITA

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Windance, Mar 26, 2022.

1. Windance Augur

I would like to humbly suggest that the dev's consider changing the mission.

The core issue is having the augs placed on a rare mini named spawn. It is not uncommon to have to run the mission 5-10 times to see a mini, and its not 100% drop so figure 3x that to get the drop you want.

When the mission was originally released the lock out timer for requesting the mission was 5 minutes which made it so you could go in, kill the quest npc's and drop the instance to run it again if you didn't get the aug.

Then the dev's made the request timer a 1 hr lockout with out changing the spawn rate of the mini, nor the drop rate for the augs. This means it now takes 12x as long to farm an augment.

I would like to suggest some combination of the following:
    - Move the augs to dropping from a chest when you turn everything in for the unity clicky - maybe 50% chance of dropping one or both augs.
    - Increase the odds of the mini named spawning by 5-10x
    - Increase the odds of the mini dropping 1 or both augs.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The made the change to prevent people from flipping instances in rapid succession in order to get the aug. If it was meant to be that easy to get they would have made the named a more common spawn. I don't think it was intended for people to keep flipping instances like they did last year.
    Skuz likes this.
  3. Windance Augur

Adjusting the lockout timer was a knee jerk 'easy' fix to limit the amount of instances that were getting spun up, not changing how 'easy' or 'hard' the mission is.

I'd much rather go through a 1-2hr hard mission that had 100% drop rate like A Formal Dinner Party than spending a day mostly AFK except for the 5-10min it takes to check the instance.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You are right it was an easy fix to people flipping instances repeatedly but that doesn't change the fact that the wanted the augment to be harder to get by making the named that drops it rarer.
  5. Morigaine Elder

The funny thing is now after the changes made last year, I spin up 5 times the number of instances to farm the augments. I just use all of my alts solo with their merc to kill two quest named, check for the very burly and dump instance. So instead of running it once every six hours and getting one augment guaranteed (the logical and obvious proposal made in this thread and many others already), I cycle through five toons soloing with their merc to flip for the named. By the end of the 5th run, I have a 10 minute break and the first toons timer is ready to do it all again.

So in a 6 hour period I might get 2-3 augments (obviously rng dependent); but I will have used 30 instances to do it. Great change!
    Windance likes this.
  6. Sissruukk Rogue One

I ate the evidence once during a 2-hour Formal Dinner Party mission. Good thing my guildmates have a sense of humor.
    Straahdx, Skuz, Rolaque and 1 other person like this.
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

It had to be done for server-performance reasons, when the mission first released and people were flipping DZ's to get the named spawn it was causing such a huge performance hit that the servers were all getting lagged to death.

Mission was a victim of its own popularity, personally I waited until the very last week to even attempt it and by then it was not crowded by a bajillion players, doing it out of prime-time hours was the other option.

With a little thought & pre-planning this is a minor inconvenience, that it originally had no cooldown was a glaring oversight.
  8. Orienn TreeHugger

I stayed up all night binge watching some shows and doing the mission every hour, took at least 10x before I even saw the named spawn. I almost thought the mission was bugged or I was doing it wrong.
  9. Qimble Augur

More like 60-70 runs to get a specific aug in my experience. Guildies will love you for flipping the ones you don't want to them when they drop.
  10. Orienn TreeHugger

I got on the pc about 8pm Thursday night and ran that mission every hour till about 6pm Friday when my guildy wanted to do some old raids. And I got 3 adroitness and 1 brilliance that's a bad ratio :eek:
  11. Flatchy Court Jester

That all depends if you are caster heavy or not! ;)
  12. Vumad Cape Wearer

They did suspend people for flipping the instances in TBL for the chase loot. I personally don't care what you do but be mindful of that when talking about flipping instances.

This thread ties into what I said in the multiboxing thread. EQ has a time management problem. These sorts of missions and rewards need to be balanced better with more consideration for the time it takes to get the reward people want.
    Windance likes this.
  13. Orienn TreeHugger

I actually needed 4 adroitness, wasn't even going for the brilliance. Only reason I kept it was cause it was like 5am and no one online in my guild was awake so I looted it on my cleric. Thankfully I just now got the 4th adroitness, got nearly 2 full sets of pages from that time too lol.
  14. Qimble Augur

The rewards were fine for the time (taking into account the low spawn/drop rate when chasing a specific aug) before they changed the lockout. I would just grind out run after run in between groups / raids until I got the aug I was after. Invis to and kill 2 mobs, run to check for PH/name, drop task or killed named. Repeat until I finally got my aug. They added the timer because it was bad optics to have 50+ campfires outside a quest NPC because everyone was trying to get every aug on all their boxes / bots.

The problem is they didn't readjust the spawn/drop rate to compensate for the added lockout.
  15. Razorfall Augur

Can't you use the one on the table if you eat the first one?