Thoughts from a parting player

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Scurvy, Mar 26, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scurvy New Member

I say parting, but I'm sure I'll check in again in a couple of years - if EQ is still here.

The reason I'm leaving is I simply CANNOT get a group, absolutely cannot. As a rogue, it's almost impossible to progress satisfactorily. I've reached a point where there's nothing else I can do solo. A small part of the problem is most of my sever is US based. I hear there's an EU server, but can I be bothered to spend the small fortune it would cost to move all my characters and alt accounts over? No.
    • So, raids are not an option for me.
    • Progression (anything past Ring of Scale) is not an option for me.
    • Moloing at a level that is actually worthwhile is not an option for anything from The Burning Lands and beyond.
    • Boxing with bots isn't an option, because apparently it's not allowed and even if it were I, refuse to pay more money for the privilege of playing a game I'm already paying for.
    • Moving servers isn't an option for the reasons explained above.
    In short, there's nothing left for me to do. The few times I get a group are brief and not enough to make and serious progress.
    So my final parting thoughts are that Daybreak should embrace boxing/botting (they kind of already did with mercs), or allow multiple Mercs. I'm sure they could even charge a little extra for the first option, without too much push back. Combine some servers so that it's easier to get a group - assuming the servers can even handle it. Make it free to move server so people can at least find people playing at the same time as them.
    My account is 20 years old, and curiosity has always brought me back every five years or so. But now, sheer boredom is making me depart again - possibly for the last time.
    Dre., Metanis, Xyphen and 4 others like this.
  2. tanith Augur

There's no rule against boxing - only automated play. The 2 are not synonymous.
    If you do actually want to play -
    suggestions:
    a) Make a toon on AB (Euro server) and see if you like it. You maybe have some heroics available or the DB cash to buy one?
    b) Move just one toon over, maybe not your main, but something you like playing and see how the grouping etc is. It only costs 2500 DB tokens.
    minimind and Nennius like this.
  3. Jumbur Improved Familiar

They could add a 5th type of merc that had better synergy with the "glass-canon" type of classes.
    For example, a merc that could self-heal and tank. It doesn't have to do any damage, just spam some agro and heal itself or something, and let the player burn down the target before the merc runs low on mana.

Or let us handle combat in a way that isn't "tank and spank"...
    Vumad and Sissruukk like this.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Totally understand the frustrations.

A group finder, sidekick system, or merc changes are all within the realm of the possible but not fast or cheap to do, but do keep tabs on the game, changes are coming and you never know when something will happen that could make your present situation much better.
    Buck Fiden and minimind like this.
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

If you research a little then you would see:

that there is a server just for EU (could have joined that at day one and not have to be looking at transferring at all)

Boxing can be done on most servers (EU server included) except TLP

Boxing can be done with free accounts to it costs nothing

The way to get multiple mercs is to create the second FREE account and use a merc on it. Now you have 2 characters and 2 mercs. It is not difficult even for those of us who are elderly.

I can't believe your forum account was made in 2012 - 10 years ago and you did not know the above.

But then again most of my divorces happened after 10 years too.:D
    Elyssanda likes this.
  6. Lyyr Lorekeeper

Being a rogue without the support of a group is painful for sure. If you have any drive to stick around at all consider making a free to play class that can tank for you and drive it with [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software]. You are going to be pushing buttons anyway, might as well get the most out of those button pushes. If it works out for you go all access on the free to play. Consider doing more than one box as well to turn your rogue into the super stab hero you want them to be.
    Like you I have very limited playtime, usually 2 hours or less on days I can play. Since I box though I manage to complete current expansions content, fully gear 8 characters and maintain them at max aa for 3 years now. If you put some effort into boxing, not botting, EQ is actually a very casual game, with some occasionally challenging content, at the cutting edge of group content.
  7. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I totally respect you for having your say, as opposed to just going. It's not easy here on ForumQuest.

And I'm with you on the state of the game. Subbed a month, first time in a few years, for anniversary. Just too much time to get the team together and manage all my junk and/or mistakes to squeeze out much fun.

Not asking you to stay. And it sounds like you still keep an eye from time to time. Still do that. The 64bit transition is a good sign, but it will take a while, if ever, for them to make headway on these big 'endemic' issues with the game.

Safe travels to you :)

Just to note:
    You can still alt-tab (or select from taskbar in windowed) two accounts on one machine on live servers, for free.

At bare minimum you can get a ftp bard with a good /melody set up to support many of your main account characters. And just play the main the way you would normally for the most part. But with 2 mercs and a Bard!

Part of my fun is crafting good macros, and tweaking them for the situation, sometimes on the fly as fighting.

There are a number of ways to play free, and without 3rd party software.
    Vizier likes this.
  8. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I feel this. OP isn't wrong and Darkpaw isn't doing enough. There are hundreds of ways to help. Which one or many are correct? That's a tough question to answer.

What benefits one may not benefit all equally. I think something needs to be done. What that something is....is up to the powers that be.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  9. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Op check your PM's.
  10. Cadira Augur

So you're quitting because:

A) You can't be bothered to buy the most recent expansion to play where all the other players are, and
    B) DPG won't allow you to cheat?
    Zaray, Flatchy, Orienn and 3 others like this.
  11. Benito EQ player since 2001.

You can try independently-run servers. Darkpaw's policies regarding automation are clear:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/what-constitutes-as-cheating.281242/
  12. Herf Augur

There's also an EU guild on Agnarr, The Remedy. PoP/LDoN/Ykesha locked.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  13. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Pick up FF14, if you want to play a MMO, or if you want a really, really great open-world single or multiplayer try Elden Ring.
    Buck Fiden, Xyphen and Kazint like this.
  14. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I see why you can't get a group. :(

Good luck finding another game that will suit you better
    Zaray, Lubianx, Orienn and 3 others like this.
  15. Kindertime Journeyman

Your concerns and issues are valid. You are right about how you feel.

The game and community do drive people to box and eventually use 3rd party programs to solve the issue of time management and grouping.

I'm amazed at how cruel this community is.

Buck Fiden likes this.
  16. Raccoo Augur

I'd suggest trying to molo the Unity anniversary mission. Least get some XP while your subscribed still. I'm guessing your main focus is getting XP to level up to reach level cap?

If you can find a family guild on your server, look for one with lots of people and discord/TS/etc (if you're ok with using voice, it can help with finding groups/making friends etc).
  17. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Scurvy calling people "dumb" or "stupid" is cruel. It is bullying other players.

If you post a public thread, don't expect everyone bow down. If you want respect, give respect.

It is all the more evident why the OP has issues with finding a group.
    minimind and CatsPaws like this.
  18. Kindertime Journeyman

I know trauma when I see it. I know hysterics when I see it.
    We need a community manager who understands people a lot better than we currently have.

These threads need to be locked and only a moderator and the original poster should be able to reply to them. Everyone else read only.

You don't roll up on someone threatening "suicide" (There's a ton of passion within this game community.) and either cheer them on or try and solve their problem for them.

You talk them down.

It's 2022. Get your forum moderation current with today's understanding of psychology/sociology.

Brontus likes this.
  19. Sissruukk Rogue One

Um...yeah...
  20. Benito EQ player since 2001.

This would be a personal journal. You can buy a notebook at most stores or host your own blog site.

While even I could benefit from a one-way conversation (imagine the wonderful musings of Benito without opposition), I really doubt any would agree to this format. No doubt the moderator would redact text in violation of forum rules (pre-moderation).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.