Removing autofollow

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by GugokSkulkraker, Mar 10, 2022.

1. GugokSkulkraker Lorekeeper

So rather than another TLP idea I was thinking about the biggest issue with boxing in that we end up with one person and 5 characters on auto follow running from boss to boss, generally being a nuisance. Rather than trying to police boxing it would be easier to just make it more difficult (but not impossible.)

Anyone still using autofollow past that point would clearly be using a 3rd party app and would be easy to investigate and remove. Most players broadcasting keystrokes would be very noticeable with this simple change. Just a suggestion that other folks seemed to like.
  2. Baldur Augur

How is this not another TLP idea? They're never going to remove auto-follow on all servers, so it would be a new server thing, which is another TLP idea.

It's also been suggested many times in the past.

Aradune proved they can't really police multi-boxing on a boxing restricted server, so even if you could tell who was cheating with auto-follow removed, what makes you think they would enforce it?
    Ileasa likes this.
  3. GugokSkulkraker Lorekeeper

They could just tie it to truebox, boom problem solved. Not a new TLP idea but definitely keeps to the spirit of truebox.
  4. Trothyr New Member

It's up to the player base to bring rule breaking to the attention of our GM's, but let's not pretend there's no financial incentive to ignore boxing.
  5. code-zero Augur

Removing /follow would result in a lot more illicit software use, not less
    Dre., Igorath-Bertox, Ileasa and 7 others like this.
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

How would you work it so non boxing players in a regular group can still AF the leader?
    Ileasa likes this.
  7. Smokezz The Bane Crew

The stupid ideas that get posted here... LOL
    Dre., Bardy McFly, Aussieguy and 8 others like this.
  8. Lawyer Augur

Yeah this would turn many legit true-box boxers into exploring alternative solutions.
    Ileasa likes this.
  9. Febb Augur

I also think they should remove the ability to use keyboards in game because cheaters use keyboards. This will help cut down on everyone playing the game.
  10. brickz Augur

The "biggest issue with boxing" is not the people who use the provided in game tools to do it lmao. I don't get how someone can play this game for so long (9 year old forum account) and be so ignorant of what's going on around them
    Lanffear and Ileasa like this.
  11. minimind The Village Idiot

The idea has merit for a no-boxing server and active policy enforcement. Simply put, you'd be able to spot and discipline a cheater really, really easily.

The problem comes with the "spot" part. For such a significant change (that would affect non-boxers as well, so it had better work), you'd need to have a LOT of enforcement (employees) actively connected. I don't think that's a real expectation.
  12. Nessirfiti Augur

The first.. 3? weeks of Aradune, I was playing with a premade of people from my old phinny guild, 6 of us each playing one character. We'd constantly get people accusing us of cheating, it was hilarious at first, enraging after a while.

You'll have to forgive me if I doubt the ability of the playerbase to spot anything accurately.
  13. TheBudkai New Member

Boxing is not a game problem, it's a player problem. Most everyone wants power these days. I really blame our competitive society, dog vs dog out there... This trickles into all gaming. Gaming will never be the same unless the people rise up and wise up in general.
  14. HekkHekkHekk Augur

GAMERS RISE UP! YES DUDE!
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If there was a better ability to progress with soloing (or use of a merc) there would be less of a need to box multiple characters. Saying it is not a game problem when players are boxing in order to ensure they can get things done isn't correct.
    Lanffear, ForumBoss and Skuz like this.
  16. Arclyte Augur

there are these things called "groups" that MMOs are based around

antisocial wierdos want to solo everything these days, and MMOs suck as a result
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Having the ability to progress while not grouped isn't anti social it is more of a factor of wanting to be able to progress while you are waiting to get a group setup or find a group you can join. Yes groups are the preferred method for doing things but people are boxing in order to get things done which I would suggest defeats the purpose of groups.

What would you call worse someone playing solo to complete content or someone boxing a group to complete content which is effectively playing solo. One is just being more honest about not being in a group.
    Vumad and Ileasa like this.
  18. Zapsos Augur

Whenever I play my cleric (and no other toons) I use Auto follow on one of the other casters in the group all the time just because I'm lazy and would rather focus on cracking jokes, being social and keeping the tank alive than moving.
    Ileasa likes this.
  19. Ambee Elder

This may be the worst post I've seen here, and that's saying something. The problem boxers don't even use /follow
    Lanffear and Ileasa like this.
  20. Corydon Augur

The solution to boxing could be super easy:
    Enable using two mercs at the same time starting in classic.

Not going to happen though because $$.