64-Bit Servers and Clients Arriving Soon!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Accendo, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Nedrom Augur

I don't think anyone is suggesting that there be a complete move away from Windows to Linux or macOS.

Look at Minecraft. It's Java based and works on many platforms, and very well.

Multi platform support is a nice thing to have but you're right, the market share is low.

With all the restrictions on Windows 11 and Windows 10 going end of life in 3 years... Linux is a great option for those who don't want to buy into the Apple ecosystem.

I work in IT and I've used nothing but Windows for a majority omy life. Now I use Linux on all my home systems with the exception of my work PC. The life of your hardware can be extended by sticking to Linux. It's also more reliable especially with kids who like to tinker.
    Khat_Nip likes this.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I would review the thread again as it seemed clear to me that they where suggesting leaving Windows as it was “bad” software and move to linux which is “good” software.
  3. Nedrom Augur

Oh I read that, it was absurd.
  4. Iven Antonius Bayle

It might never happen because of the Hero Forge armor. Dozens of armor sets and robes would have to be converted for the players that did spend cash on them. It is not because of the nostalgic players. SoE and DBG failed to finish the classic TSoV armor textures for the TSoL PC models which would be much less work to do. Instead they converted the most ot them into Hero Forge armor ornamentation sets for heritage crates. It would be possible to revamp both existing PC models partially by just adding more textures, adding new faces, hair styled and reworking the feeble run animations of the TSoL human based female models. Why not also adding a limited Hero Forge feature for the classic PC models to the marketplace as there are still many players using them ?!

Because of independency and privacy for the players and the game companies either. MS Windows (and other operating systems) is spyware which only does get masked as an OS. Do you really think that MS is making big money with Windows sales today ? Most of the profit does get created by using and selling data which got collected and stolen from the OS users. Selling it to secret services, military, police, governments and other companies. It has gone that far that CPU/hardware producers do build in backdoors and do limit the software that can be used with it. An universal container like Java is an interesting concept to ensure compatibility with different operating systems.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They are not going to want to lose 99% of their business over a move like this as it would most likely lead to the game and company getting shut down.
  6. Zanarnar Augur

Why would they lose business if the game was more portable and worked on Mac/Windows/Linux -vs- just Windows today? Please explain.

While re-writing the client as Java-based is one of the worst options IMO, there are plenty of cross-platform game engines they could plug in. And we already know this client is at least a bit modular as they have done this once already (with this client, as it originally launched based on DX8, and was then updated to be a DX9 renderer)

Sure they would need to re-compile their binary and perhaps some dependencies to make that work, and personally I do not think they will do that, but it doesn't make any sense to me that making EQ available on more platforms would somehow cost them 99% of their player-base.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It sounds like the request is to leave Windows because as long as you are on a windows machine all of the persons complaints will still be present.
  8. Zanarnar Augur

Ya but if the game is available on other platforms; the person can choose to play on a less spyware laden OS. (and believe me win10 phones home about everything. Well unless you block all the MS domains at your firewall :p )

They didn't say make it only available on Mac/Linux, simply to make it more like Minecraft where it works everywhere that JAVA runs. Personally, I don't think JAVA is a good option here, but some of that might just be my bias against JAVA apps.

In any case, a more portable game could only bring in more players ( the existence of the 2002 em server is somewhat evidence of this, mac users still wanted to play after they shut down the official server). It would take some work, a lot initially, and might require them change some lower level libraries out with something more portable, but in the end it would open thing up.

Heck, I'd be happy if they just spent some time making the client work well under Proton/Wine so that it could be played on the steam deck out of the box. (as that would mean Mac/linux users could play without issue too -vs- having to do a bit of tweaking and a work-around here and there to get it all happy)

I digress though.. :)
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Something tells me people won't be leaving Windows just because EQ is available on linux/mac.
    Nennius likes this.
  10. Nennius Curmudgeon

I do agree, but there are Mac Lemmings who just might.
  11. Metanis Bad Company

Linus Tech Tips in the last month published a video series on trying to game on Linux. If those people with nearly unlimited budgets and technical expertise have issues getting it to work, then what hope for the rest of us?

I'm not denigrating Linux or puffing up Windows. But if you've got limited time and resources then a foray into a 2% solution is not cost justified or smart business.
    Waring_McMarrin likes this.
  12. Zinkeh Augur

Where does one get the 64 bit client? I patched eq today after months away and am not seeing anything new. Do I have to grab an entirely new client? I assume I'd have to cut and paste my character preferences again?
  13. Grove Augur

Not so. You do not see any change.
  14. Svann2 The Magnificent

Was hoping that the 64 bit change might help the servers not choke so much but lag seems worse now. Long zoning has become way more frequent than before.
    Metanis likes this.
  15. Warpeace Augur

Why would anyone think that? What has the company actually done with the game relating to 64 bit? a 64 bit client was never going to be a magic bullet to fix anything, it is a starting point though.
  16. Svann2 The Magnificent

Point is it made things worse. They need to figure out what it broke before they go building more on top of it.
  17. Warpeace Augur

How can it make anything worse if they didn't actually do anything? The launcher is working exactly as advertised. They need to update many things in the background.
  18. Cueil New Member

If I were these guys I'd scrap the old engine they are working with and rebuild the game. This game should have long ago been on every platform available. They should stop updating the game and focus on porting this over to a multiplatform engine. Get it running with the current assets and then update it from there. This game should have been running on Playstation 2 and after Sony sold SOE off Xbox 360 and PS3. How awesome would it be to play this on a Switch? Heck they could even rebrand the game while keeping the core of what made this game last 23 years.