Autofollow worse than ever

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Thash, Feb 21, 2022.

1. Thash Zoner

I box 6 on Rizlona. All accounts are set to max background framerate. Lately, I REALLY have to watch the map while running - at the slightest touch, my guys are off and running in a random direction, away from my leader. This happens constantly.

If only we could have tiny improvements to this outdated mechanic. So we aren't forced to consider special software as the only solution. Sick of dying for stupid reasons!
    Leerah likes this.
  2. Febb Augur

Set your max background framerate to like 25fps per client. See if that helps.
    code-zero likes this.
  3. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Use a mage with group COTH, I never auto follow.
    Wdor and Eaedyilye like this.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I always found a "happy medium" setting background fps at 60 fps cap and foreground the same.

Keeping the pc clock synced seemed to help too though that's just my own anecdotal perception.
    Strumph likes this.
  5. Thash Zoner

I'll certainly try it. Perhaps it'll improve stability. We're still one bad ping from disaster, which doesn't exactly satisfy, but anything's better than the way it has been.
  6. Alnitak Augur

CoTH is for real players and real manual boxers. Automated groups do not like it and do not use it, usually.
    Mages with group CoTH - the best thing since a sliced bread.
    Wdor likes this.
  7. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

My group consists of 2 mages so COTH comes in play all the time. It's like magic. :D
    Wdor likes this.
  8. Dragnath Elder

Autofollow is an embarrassment.

I may be wrong, but it feels like autofollow hasn't improved in 20+ years. Why is it a mercenary can follow you just fine, yet you put a toon on auto follow and they randomly decide to run in circles aggroing an entire zone... (before someone comes and explains the computer programming reason for this it was a rhetorical question)
    Dre. and Nennius like this.
  9. Alnitak Augur

That is factually incorrect. Mercenaries run in circles just as much. The difference is that they do not cause aggro and they warp to the owner when sense themselves too far away. Pathing is as bad for mercenaries as is for auto-follow players. Although, mercenaries "auto-follow" is controlled by the server and is less affected by client/network lag.
    Strumph, Wdor and Svann2 like this.
  10. Iuwene Augur

And sometimes mercs just end up at a random location in the zone and have a picknick there, while the rest of the group is somewhere else.
    That is when CotH comes handy again.

And occasionally even pets get lost. Pet classes have the summon companion for a reason.

So bad autofollow is not a player thing alone.
  11. uberkingkong Augur

The only thing to happen lately was 64 bit.
    64 bit is good for solo player but boxers, especially 6 boxers, just think of it as being nerfed.
    Using more of your PC is good for solo but using more of your PC x6 that's not really ideal.
  12. Vumad Cape Wearer

They do not. Watch the map. They get frequently lost. The server warps the merc to the player.
  13. Dragnath Elder

Yes I have played everquest before. I was exaggerating to make a point, which is why I said my question was rhetorical yet multiple people still find it necessary to correct me.

Just ignore the second part of my last post, I should have ended it at "Autofollow is an embarassment".
    Leerah likes this.
  14. Tucoh Augur

Hmmm
  15. Sindace Elder

It's been many years since I've been able to use autofollow. Same issues as above. Only solution is CotH. I carry a mage most of the time only for this. If autofollow were better I might run a slightly different group, but it's trash and has been for ages.
  16. Vumad Cape Wearer

Typically, rhetorical questions do not include factually incorrect information, which is why you got the replies you did.
    Alnitak likes this.
  17. Alnitak Augur

Yes, you should, and it would make your post short and pointless.
    You, however, decided to ask a "rhetorical question". And as "Rhetorical questioning is…a fairly conscious technique adopted by a speaker for deliberate ends, and it is used infrequently, proportional to the length of the dialogue, oration, or conversation." (Boyd, Boyd (1997). Electronic Discourse: Linguistics Individuals in Virtual Space.)
    Your post does not qualify, because it constituted the biggest part of your post.
    So, we go to a second angle: "The effectiveness of rhetorical questions in argument comes from their dramatic quality." (Gardiner, J (1907). Manual of Composition and Rhetoric)

You have aimed for a dramatic effect in your post. And you have made a factually incorrect statement while doing so. It was not merely "exaggerating", it was conscious insinuation of DPG's inability to fix an implied simple problem, evidenced by your factually incorrect and manufactured example of mercenaries ability fo auto-follow.
    And than you covered it up by stating that the question is rhetorical, while such questions do not require to be intentionally identified as such. It was all premeditated passive-agressive attack on DPG's developers abilities.
    And since my upbringing does not allow me to stand idly when injustice is imposed on defenceless innocent folk I had to enter the battle against the evil.
    (See, that's an exaggeration, obvious and blatant.)
    Wdor and Dragnath like this.
  18. Aumnaydar New Member

They - EQ Dev Peeps - just need to fix this. It's been annoying for decades and yes - it's actually worse now. Apparently there are "things" that have proven autofollow could actually work. Since I don't use those "things", I can verify that it doesn't work as developed or intended.
    Dragnath likes this.
  19. Fenthen aka Rath

Which is probably one of the reasons why "things" are still highly used. The in-game tools provided to us are lackluster at best.
    Leerah, Vumad and Dragnath like this.
  20. Zanarnar Augur

shhh its their new bot detection. if they see a group properly following they know your using [unmentionable software] :)
    Leerah, Fenthen and Vumad like this.