Increase Bazaar Cap

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Wudanar, Feb 16, 2022.

1. Wudanar Journeyman

Now that we have a 64 bit system please increase the bazaar monetary caps beyond 2,000,000!
    Ozadar, Raptorjesus5, Yobamok and 3 others like this.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The 64 bit upgrade is unrelated to this issue.
    Celephane likes this.
  3. theonepercent Augur

No it isn't?
    Raptorjesus5 and Fenthen like this.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They have been using 64 bit variables such as NPC health for many expansions now and from what I understand from what they posted changing it so that you could have higher prices would be a massive change with some risk.
  5. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Even 32bit systems can perform calculations on 64bit values(they just need double clock-cycles to do it).
    Coagagin and Waring_McMarrin like this.
  6. Svann2 The Magnificent

And yet the max bazaar price is 2^32 2^31 coppers.
  7. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

They could raise the cap but the only live server that sells stuff only sells items in Krono.
  8. theonepercent Augur

This was one of the many things they used the "there isn't enough memory to do" excuse for which isn't a problem now that they can make use of all the memory they need to. If there was other posts saying there would be some risk to doing it I haven't seen it but I also don't see how that could possibly be an issue.
  9. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

yea i wanna be able to carry more than 1 billion pp on one char sad i got to put most in shared bank pp slot. Guess ill start buying krono's again lol.
  10. Celephane Augur

Fanra likes this.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I am pretty sure they have never used an excuse of not enough memory but instead have said that the scope of the change would have impacted pretty much everything using currency and they decided to not do it because of that. Considering that they have been using 64 bit variables before this for NPC health which can be seen in the bug report of past raid mobs breaking 5 billion in health due to changes in ToL pre 64 bit upgrade I don’t think they ever said it was memory limited.
    Svann2 likes this.
  12. Zanarnar Augur

This is a perfect example of a DESIGN DECISION -vs- a TECHNICAL LIMITATION.

The 2mil limit is the former, not the latter. At any point they could have re-based the bazaar on plat and let it go up to 2 billion. (or on Gold for 200mil, or silver for 20mil). Its fair to ask, but I wouldn't hold your breath.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  13. Svann2 The Magnificent

I strongly doubt they ever made a design decision to say "2 million is enough for bazaar. If they want to sell for more let them spam general". It was built with the idea that 2 million was way more than they could imagine anyone ever needing. It wasnt a choice to make a limit it was just how it worked out and now its kind of tough to change it. IOW the design choice was a 31 bit integer just because that was the data storage type they chose, not as a means to limit player selling.
  14. Sup Rog Elder

Their design decision, just happened to be exactly the 32 bit limit for PP? At the time 2M pp was a lot and was plenty. Now, with inflation over the years, it is not enough, especially on FV, with raid items going for 60M+pp sometimes. I don't see how changing the bazaar max sale price, would affect the whole game world, maybe it would, if you tried to change how PP was calculated, instead of doing it by copper. Add an option for krono on the bazaar traders also, why not? People trade with Krono now either way, just would make it easier and QoL for people buying and selling. Also, probably be more revenue, with people buying even more Kronos. Time to upgrade this for sure.
    Wdor, Raptorjesus5 and Fenthen like this.
  15. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I think the inflation over the years has caught DBG by surprise. The last few expansions have all been designed with rather harsh platsinks, and if they succeed in their anti-cheat improvements it should decrease botting(the main source of inflation, I suspect) as well.

Besides, do we really want an economy where several millions of plat is a common pricerange for in-game items?

Getting that much plat by normal playing takes a loooong time...In the end, the bazaar will just be the whales trading with each other, while the rest of us abandon the economy completely, or give in to the RMT crowd with Krono trading...which imho is also bad for the game...
    Wdor likes this.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I don’t think any decision was made beyond that merchants store prices in copper and they used the same system in the bazzar and at the time 2m plat or 2b copper was more then enough for use.
    Fenthen likes this.
  17. Tappin Augur

There's a better chance at winning the lotto than DP being willing and successful in any anti cheat prevention.
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Considering the recent threads about player suspensions for things they have done in the past I think it can be said that they are willing to take the measures but it just needs to be remembered that the cheat makers are also working to keep their cheats working and undetected
    Svann2 likes this.
  19. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Im not saying they can make a 100% foolproof cheat detection, but if the public gets the impression that monthly suspensions becomes a regular occurrence, then maybe the majority of cheaters will start to play legit.

I absolutely believe that DBG has the intention to do just that. It was listed in their roadmap after all.
    They don't have to "win" against cheating, they just have to make cheating not worth the effort for the normal player. :)

The small minority who cheats for "sport" and who finds entertainment in challenging the anti-cheat effort as a meta-game in itself. They will probably still cheat, but they probably don't care about their characters anyway...
    Wdor likes this.
  20. Sup Rog Elder

Doesn't matter if we wan the economy to have several million plat common or not, it's already there. 23 yrs of plat coming in adds a lot of plat. Inflation is part of a normal economy. The plat sinks don't take nearly close to the amount of plat coming in. This is also why Kronos, are the main currency for any decent item. 23 yrs of inflation, make the value of PP much lower. I wish things cost what the did 23yrs ago in RL lol.