Raiding without lag

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by zleski, Feb 16, 2022.

1. zleski Augur

After the patch yesterday my guild did our ToL raids. After several weeks of very poor experiences with warping mobs, lagged mechanics (three sets of AHR stompy lads up all at once!) all were curious if the extra bits or the server restart would help matters on Cazic-Thule.

And it did. All six events were smooth as butter and it was a lovely glimpse into what the game is like without lag; it reminded me of the time on Beta server raiding.

If some things were done behind the scene to improve the lag situation then kudos! If something else is the cause, such as restarting the servers, then I hope the performance issues can be permanently addressed. In any event, I really hope our next time raiding is as smooth because the events really ARE fun when all the mechanics work properly.
    Galamann, Annastasya, Zenn and 5 others like this.
  2. Sup Rog Elder

Umm, the 64bit conversion was kinda done behind the scenes lol. That made a massive difference on FV. I would have to wait like 30sec sometimes for the teleport pad in the bazaar and last night it was almost instant. Chat messages went through properly etc.. Very nice upgrade!
    Stabbyman likes this.
  3. Axxius Augur

We did AHR after the patch, and it was a lot better than before. We still got 2 sets of golems consistently, but there is a huge difference between 2 and 3 sets. Would be nice to get rid of the unintended 2nd set, but it's a big improvement already. Thank you devs!
    Orienn and Primadonna like this.
  4. Tevik Augur

I don't think it would take a huge change either. Increase spawn time by ~15-30s would do it.
  5. KarmaKitty Augur

Not that I've done a lot of combat, but I've not really noticed much of a change with the exceptions of
    1) Chat has yet to go down on me
    2) Lag between character select and in game appears to be gone or minimal
    Guess I need to go do some stuff in the lag pile.

Only glitch: My wood elf druid was booted from the guild hall to Nek Forest for some reason.
    Have not been there in ages.
  6. LesserArchi Elder

Ultimate test would be checking the guild roaster with option to view off-line toons to see if that lags you out.
    Last time I've tried that, it lagged my one toon close to about a min.
    I am not going to do that again. :p
  7. Ibadan Kun'Tirel Augur

I feel like it's a bit pre-emptive to think the switch to 64 bit fixed it. We still experienced lag on AHR, and the less lag generally could also have been due to the servers recently having come back up and the less strain on the servers due to less players/bots/bazaar mules/etc. Let's give it some more time to test before we decide?
    Vumad, Moege, Kazint and 2 others like this.
  8. The real Sandaormo Augur

Yeah! don't give the devs any approval yet! F that. We saw way less lag and even if it is in the short term, I am at least going to be grateful they are trying to fix things.

Cheers Devs....
  9. Ibadan Kun'Tirel Augur

Please don't misunderstand me. I think the move to 64 bit is important and I appreciate it. I'm just hesistant to say that it fixed the lag without some more testing.
  10. Windance Augur

Real test will be over the next couple days as the plat farmers and PL sellers spawn 100+ instances.
    Fenthen likes this.
  11. Fenthen aka Rath

At this time I do not believe the move to 64-bit fixed anything whatsoever. It just allows for a larger sandbox which the developers can use for developing some actual improvement.

The patch was client-side, so raid lag would not at all have been affected. What you guys are seeing is either a lack of accounts logged on, servers having been rebooted, and maybe something else they changed on the backend which we weren't told about.
    Ibadan Kun'Tirel, Marton and Svann2 like this.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The patch was server and client side as they have said in their many announcements and moving the servers to 64 bit will make a major difference.
  13. Jumbur Improved Familiar

The 64bit upgrade was also server-side, the servers were only running in 32bit previously.

That said, I guess the primary focus(at first) on the 64bit upgrade is stability and making sure it behaves the same as the 32bit version. If the servers were previously lagging because of lack of memory and relying on disk-caches, then the 64bit upgrade might very well have made a huge difference.

Or maybe the servers were just not nearly as full as they used to be?

I agree that it is too early to tell exactly where the lag-improvement came from.

My guess is that we will never be told, when or what optimizations they make server-side.
    At least that was the case when AB was plagued with chat lag. We got a little statement that they were looking into it and that it would take some months to fix. It did go away after a few months but there was no communication regarding the issue at all, except for the initial statement.

The bit from the roadmap:
    Is probably the only statement on the lag-subject that you will ever get, until you suddenly realize that the lag had gradually disappeared.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I am guessing we are seeing the impact from the lack of need or lessened need to use disk-caches though we will know more as the servers are up longer and have some bigger raid nights with more guilds raiding.
    Treage_Imminent and Jumbur like this.
  15. Bahdah Augur

It was 'aight'

Jennre and Fenthen like this.
  16. Bigstomp Augur

Lag feels better. Chat lag is still there but zoning lag and things feel better.
    I imagine now that they are on 64 bit they can work on some other stuff beyond just making 64 bit a thing (like spending extra memory to speed things up now that they have it available)
  17. Fenthen aka Rath

I ran around Maiden's Eye last night -- 17 people in zone, no pickzone. It was difficult to find another group.
    Ka Vethan had similar numbers. No more Hanita boxing 30 characters 24/7.

I didn't bother checking elsewhere, the low numbers here were spooky enough. Either there's a large amount of people on 32-bit OS, or their flavor of Macaroni hasn't been updated yet, or the suspension waves are still ongoing and we just don't hear about them as much anymore.
  18. Axxius Augur

Good point. Should never underestimate the number of bot crews and their impact on server performance/lag. Enjoy the game until their favorite software gets updated to 64-bit.
    Coagagin, Bahdah and Sancus like this.
  19. Smokezz The Bane Crew

They're already back in bazaar. Logged my trader on, lasted an hour before all my prices were undercut by the usual people.
    Coagagin likes this.
  20. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

What I find most interesting about this thread is the number of players unwilling to credit the upgrade with the increase in performance. Not saying they're right or wrong, but it's interesting.