64-bit client / server ... besides mem & threading any other future benefits?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Deux, Feb 8, 2022.

1. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

The 64-bit client & server is on test it looks like unless I misread the message wrong. Does the client UI look the same?

Also just wondering what future benefits we may see? New mob graphics or spell graphics? Will we see an increase in stack sizes? Increase in the price cap in the bazaar from 2M to 2B?

Will Darkpaw have the ability to add new features into the client such as those found in illegal 3rd party software (benign convenience ones not the unattended game play).

Will Darkpaw consider adding intentional boxing support to the client? Specifically I think many players would welcome being able to log in their boxes and control them from one client. Their boxes would be their mercs....maybe gold status only?

Stuff we haven't thought of like enhanced player to player transactions instead of being limited to the bazaar? Better chat channel UIs?

Will lag improve? Zoning? All kinds of in-game delays due to lag / latency ?

Will the servers be more robust and crash resistant? Will patch days go faster? Can the game be patched with a simple reboot instead of multi-hour downtimes?

Can we expect new races / classes due to new ceiling offered by a 64-bit client?
    Shriek likes this.
  2. Fenthen aka Rath

Everything should be 100% the same as it is in 32-bit, initially.

64-bit just gives them more room to grow and improve things that have been stuck in 2008, past the limitations they are at now. But until they spend developer time improving the game in a larger sandbox, nothing will change.
    Shindius, Nolrog, Zanarnar and 3 others like this.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The big gains will be on removing the memory limitations on the servers and it will be good to see if performance improves under liver server loads.
    Yinla likes this.
  4. Plumbus Lorekeeper

Really hope the first thing they work on is increasing the debuff cap limit. It is the biggest ongoing issue in my opinion. Being told/having to tell people not to dps or debuff or whatever doesn't make for a good time .
    Galamann likes this.
  5. Windance Augur

The server could already be 64 bit. It is independent of the client.
    Takk and OldTimer like this.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It is not as of now and it has been indicated in all the releases about it that the server is being updated at the same time. In fact this very thread title includes that it is being updated to 64 bit as well as the client.
  7. Slasher Augur

It is not. They should of been able to use 64bi servers without making the client 64 but doing both works out anyway. The #1 crash report is from memory limitations btw.
  8. Shriek New Member

Revamp the bazaar. Get rid of the max limits for sales, add krono as an optional payment. Make the interface and functions better.
    Evye likes this.
  9. Jumbur Improved Familiar

We will likely get an increase in graphical detail, once they have adjusted to 64bit. Probably not right away, but I guess there will be a visible difference between 32bit-era expansions and 64bit-era expansions. :)

The artists for the next expansion will not have to limit themselves to the same extend that they used to, when they start making content for the 64bit client.
    OldTimer likes this.
  10. Alnitak Augur

It's not just the memory limitation in itself, it is also a gazzilion programming tricks with data/code they had to implement in the course of many years to deal with those limitations.
    About a billion times the developers ran into the choice of writing the code right way or try to save memory/data resources and take a risky (in terms of stability/robustness) shortcut. Some tricks very brilliant, some where outright disastrous in long term, and anything in between. It takes a monumental effort to redeploy the project of EQ scale from 32-bit platform to 64-bit planform and untangle those shortcuts as those should be from the beginning. It's not just setting the compiler to 64-bit mode and hitting "Rebuild" menu item.
    And server/client codes are related at the point of data interface, going 64-bit on server side only gives very little benefit. What is the benefit of having more than 2GB of memory available to the application if the entire data- and code-architecture is doing everything it can to stay under 2 GB limit ?

Once they switch to 64-bit model they'll be able to streamline lots and lots of things in EQ. For example - playable races and all others use 2 very different visual object models, even illusions are different in visualisations based on era they've been made in. And all that was done to preserve memory. Only playable races were worthy of social animations, for example. With 64-bit switch they'll be able to switch (eventually) to unified models.
    And so on. Many good things will come our way AFTER they successfully switch to 64-bits, which is a huge effort upfront.
    Jumbur likes this.
  11. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Only thing that should happen initially is a large reduction in "out of memory" type crashes.

As for what comes next, well the roadmap is the best pointer for that, hopefully the roadmap is kept somewhat up to date rather than the usual pump & dump approach the team takes.
  12. Jumbur Improved Familiar

True, it is very likely they had to clean up a lot of limiting quirks in the architecture, to make the 64bit upgrade possible.
    That means that a lot of improvements that were previously really hard to implement, might now be much easier in the future.
  13. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Will 64 bit get rid of the 1 billion pp limit? serious question.
  14. Celephane Augur

should've isn't should of, it is should have... be smarter when typing smart stuffs
  15. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

If you are at the ceiling I can help you with your excess plat :p
  16. Celephane Augur

The value in coppers is current limit, but the numerical system isn't limited by 32 or 64 bit in the game. It has to do with other code in the game. This change isn't likely the change that
    Andarriel and Beimeith like this.
  17. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

I stopped buying krono's for my accounts so now i have a good amount of pp lol. Most of my pp is in my shared bank pp slot.
  18. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Wouldnt mind if they got rid of copper and silver.
  19. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Copper and silver matters at low levels, especially if you start with zero coin.
    Velisaris_MS likes this.
  20. Svann2 The Magnificent

Lots of limits may change but anyone not intimately knowledgeable about the actual code used could have no idea what. Devs might. Everyone else is just speculating.