What Were The Biggest Nerfs in EQ History?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by ibc93, Feb 6, 2022.

1. ibc93 Elder

What were some of the biggest nerfs in EQ history? Any classes hit especially hard? Trying to research for a fun video. Any help is appreciated. I will try to give credit to those who help.

-Ion Blaze
    PatCleric likes this.
  2. Svann2 The Magnificent

Id guess bard ae dots only landing on stationary mobs. Removed the use of them for ae kiting.
    OldTimer, Wulfhere, Elyssanda and 2 others like this.
  3. ibc93 Elder

Thank you Svann
  4. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Shakerpaging is a good one, i.e. procing melee procs off of ripostes. A warrior would equip an Earthshaker, remove all haste items/buffs, get a shaman to duel/slow them (increases their proc rate), round up as many mobs as possible, use furious disc, and proc a ton of AE nukes to melt the pile before his disc wore off.

Ranger headshot is a pretty well-known "nerf" although it was mostly just a nerf for powerleveling or farming plat. Headshot used to proc at a much higher rate, but it required mobs to be significantly lower level than you. It was great for powerleveling and farming. The change drastically reduced the proc rate, but also allowed it to proc against mobs as high as the ranger's level - 1. It made headshot relevant for current expansion content, but made it much worse as a PL/farming tool. This happened around CoTF or so if I remember correctly.

A recent one is enchanter AE stuns all sharing cooldowns - this made mass AE groups more difficult for the average player, but the pro powerlevelers on TLP's just simply fired up a few more enchanters and kept going.

Flagging rare mobs as uncharmable is also pretty recent. A few years ago on TLP's, it was very common practice for an enchanter to bind in some obscure part of the zone, then when a contested rare mob spawned, they'd just charm it and then gate away, which warped the rare to their obscure bind point, and just peacefully kill it there and avoid the DPS race.
    Skewert, Shindius and minimind like this.
  5. tanith Augur

There was a massive enc nerf about, what, 10 years ago? Pretty much all my chanter pals quit :(
    (details, I'm afraid are lost in the mists of time/middle aged brain)
    Rexa and Mims like this.
  6. Khat_Nip Meow

SKs like five times in a row.
    Shindius, Sup Rog and Ozon like this.
  7. Derka Power Ranger

Beaming was a huge nerf around RoF. Someone would pull the whole plane of shadow zone which made the mobs lag in place and then just take AoE damage. Was a great PL tool.

2014 was the year I believe that most swarming techniques and AE headshot got nerfed to just be current target instead of any mob.

April 2017
    Ranger - Dichotomic Fusillade Strike has been flagged non-focusable to exempt it from the benefits of Scarlet Cheetah Fang. This sucked because we used to be able to twincast our dicho for a big boom.
  8. ibc93 Elder

Thank you Xyroff, Derka, Khat, & Tanith.
  9. zleski Augur

Manastone. You regenerated as much mana as you could click, and since there was no cooldown, it was clicks that mattered.

In an era there was no mana regen on items, the manastone filled that role.

Then it was taken off the loot table, and made to only work in old zones these days, of course, the rate of conversion, while good in a ratio, is bad in absolute terms.

That's my vote. Other option is prenerf circlet of shadow, giving instant invis to nec/sk on the run when the spells took many seconds to cast at a standstill.
    Skewert, Ileasa, Shindius and 3 others like this.
  10. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

I remember the beam kiters in Evantil, the Vile Oak. (ROF) They hogged up practically all the mobs. When I zoned into it, I did a /who. If the beam kiting guild was there, I went to another zone.

Now this wasn't really a nerf but it was bad at first. When GOD first was released the mage pet was nothing more than a DOT. It was hard even off tanking the trash in the missions. That was my job in groups prior to GOD when there wasn't a chanter.
    Skewert likes this.
  11. Skunkhaze New Member

Berserker Decap! speaking of, i been meaning to mention this for some time... Decap is broken bros ! just over 800k on a crit proc, only allowed 2 procs over a 60s period .. can we get this looked at please ? yall catered to rngs forever now, how bout fixing this one for tha bers please =D
  12. Kazint Augur

When they added a dialog to Translocate to allow the target player to choose whether they could accept or not. Wizards should have the right to banish anyone in their group to another zone as they feel appropriate.
  13. Nennius Curmudgeon

There has to be a story here.
    minimind, Marton and Herf like this.
  14. Scornfire The Nimbus Prince

Reluctant Benevolence/Shining Aegis interaction in UF/VoA, effectively immortality if a Knight decided to tank several mobs

Necro Dicho when it was first introduced, as long as you could survive a round, you weren't dying

Beam kiting was definitely a big one. Man, remember when a single zone being laggy was a massive issue, how innocent we were then
    Shindius and Xyroff-cazic. like this.
  15. Kazint Augur

The guild I was in at the time didn't have a very formal recruitment process so we'd sometimes invite random people to do things. When those players turned out to be really bad or really annoying it was a nice way to get rid of them. Plus it was kinda fun. :)
    Winnowyl and Nennius like this.
  16. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Enchanter PBAE mez nerfed from having its duration affected by the AA line

Also, Omens of War was an enchanter population killer. Whole expansion designed to be anti-enchanter.
    Leerah, Ileasa and Axxius like this.
  17. Schadenfreude Augur

- Beastlord, Paladin, Ranger, Shadowknight - Spell Casting Reinforcement no longer extends the duration of disciplines.

A nerf so insidious it still takes my breath away five years later.
  18. Burdi Augur

Ranger’s Harmonious arrow.
    You could pull a named in a room full of mobs, it was awesome.
    Unfortunately it became controversial and was nerfed to be absolutely useless.
    Leerah, Shindius, Evye and 1 other person like this.
  19. Flatchy Court Jester

Used to be able to go to neriak forest and give named weapon drops to newbie skells there and they could use them. That was great fun, and great reward for the newbies who overcame.

Disease cloud pulling for sk used to be awesome. You could cast disease cloud on named , fd and have your mage buddy coth you across the zone, then stand. The named would follow you alone to where you were.
    Skewert, niente, Shindius and 2 others like this.
  20. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

If you didn't sent them to Cazic, you were doing it wrong!
    Arkanny, Winnowyl and Kazint like this.