What is the point of truebox?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by coltongrundy, Jan 28, 2022.

1. coltongrundy Augur

Truebox doesn't (and was never intended to) stop people from boxing on TLPs. This is 100% within the rules of truebox:
    [IMG]

But if a person doesn't have the hardware or space for more than 1 computer they are only allowed to play 1 character.

What I don't understand is, if boxing is allowed, why is the amount of computer hardware that you own the gate keeper for who is allowed to box on TLPs?

The worst part of it is how terrible the truebox detection methods are. Married couples that play together get disconnected if they happen to push the same hotkey at the same time. People have been permanently banned with no explanation other than "violating truebox rules" when they only had 1 account. Innocent people are collateral damage for a policy that does nothing but ensuring that people who own the most hardware have an advantage. It's ridiculous.

Either make a server where no one can box, or where everyone can box. The amount of computers you own shouldn't determine whether or not you're allowed to box.

But if the rule was no one can box, we know it will not be fairly enforced on everyone. You will always allow certain people to break the rules, so just let everyone box?
    Doze, Lanffear, Fenthen and 2 others like this.
  2. Thewiz Augur

Truebox should be abolished in todays age of instances.
    Lanffear and Fenthen like this.
  3. Mattling Elder

TLDR; The servers can't handle the normal load of players that come with a new release. Allowing people to box as many accounts as they want would be a disaster of epic proportions.
  4. brickz Augur

People were given the choice between truebox and no truebox with aradune and rizlona and they overwhelmingly chose truebox. They just need to turn it off in omens or TSS
    Siah and Xhartor like this.
  5. Gnothappening Augur

Can they turn if off short of a server merge?
  6. coltongrundy Augur

Except when they actually did do a non-truebox server, this statement was proven false. Aradune (the truebox server) had much much worse login issues than Rizlona that was non-truebox.

You're just making guesses that have already been proven wrong.
    Lanffear and Xhartor like this.
  7. Gnothappening Augur

Truebox limits the amount of toons people play. If there wasn't truebox, almost everyone would be six boxing. A few people, like myself, play a full group anyways because EQ is our hobby so we buy a few cheap laptops off of facebook or craigslist or when they are on sale at bestbuy. Some of my computers that I play EQ on I spent $20 on.

Truebox limits the amount people play in other ways as well. It is harder to control 6 computers than it is to control 6 toons on one computer. As it is there is a constant cry fest over people boxing, imagine if everyone was running 6. They would have to shut down the forums.
  8. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Truebox just punishes those that can't cheat or bypass the detection.
  9. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Because far more players were interested in playing on Aradune than Rizlona. It wasn't proven false, lol.
    Niskin and Xhartor like this.
  10. Draconum Elder

It is kind of strange that they do concern themselves as much as they do with the one toon per PC in this day and age. I actually went and bought some cheap refurbished laptops and desktops to adhere to the 'Truebox' ruleset for this current round of TLPs. Currently box my own squad of six and brother does six himself because of our weird play times the only time we usually meet up and play together is maybe one day on the weekend.

I used to only box one additional toon outside of my main, but with the limited playtime and how fast most of the population seems to push to be level capped it was easy to be left behind and then LFG or trying to start a group for an hour out of the three hours I had to play before bed.

Had a few requests to join a few guilds when they would come across my un-guilded cleric and enchanters, but as soon as I was request to join as just a casual / non committed raider they all tend to say the same thing - they're actually looking for raiders unfortunately. The two guilds I tried to join as a casual on the last round of TLP's would always give me for being online at the start of the raids and try to guild me into coming even though I was due to log off within the hour.

It is just super convenient to be able to log in a crew to grind something immediately, especially during strange hour shifts or after a 12 hour day at work. Not having to lose out on loot to a PUG that is half AFK watching TV is pretty neat, too.
    Lanffear likes this.
  11. Gnothappening Augur

It is to limit the toons per player. You and I are willing to drop a few hundred on more boxes, but a lot of people aren't. I think the truebox is probably healthier for the server overall, especially in the early expansions.

As for raiding, you do 6 and your brother does 6. That will let you do a lot of smaller raid targets in PoP and Gates. With the random loot that will help you guys gear up. If you want to hit larger targets reach out to some of the other six boxers and do some raids.
  12. coltongrundy Augur

If you want to limit toons per player then just don't allow boxing. Selectively choosing who is and who is not allowed to box based on arbitrary crap like how much hardware you own is ridiculous.
    Lanffear likes this.
  13. HoodenShuklak Augur

There are definitely people who work around truebox... but if you think the feel of the game would not deteriorate without it then you simply haven't experienced what has already been tested.

Much like communism, the lessons have already been laid out for us to ponder... and the reality is when every joe blow runs a full group or raid that old school feel of EQ that brings us to TLP is absolutely lost.

You also need to keep in mind that, at least in EQ vernacular, truebox is hand and hand with em queue... which further obliterates the everyday players' classic EQ experience.
    Gnothappening likes this.
  14. Gnothappening Augur

I think everyone who wants to end truebox weren't around for Ragefire and Lockjaw. The amount of QQ over boxed armies there was insane.
    Niskin, Siah, HoodenShuklak and 2 others like this.
  15. Tweakfour17 Augur

Truebox has its place, and it's in early tlp. Aradune was far more popular than Rizlona. Key word. Was. Go look at their stats now, Rizlona is like 97% of the time at high pop and aradune is about 88% medium with the remained split evenly between high and low. All the 1 box purists are the re rollers which after several truebox tlp cycles tells me they are either the "casuals" or they struggle to make friends and the only way they can group is by playing on fresh tlps. They blame the dirty boxers for the reason they can't group past luclin but it's just as much if not more their own fault, they get left behind but can't admit the reason why may have something to do with them so they lash out at the boxers who don't need anyone else to be productive in game. You can argue that Rizlona is only high pop because everyone has a box army and on aradune they don't, but to dbg a sub is a sub. Tldr, truebox is a crutch to force people to group up and should be dropped when the next tlp rolls around and all the ones who have super strong feelings about it jump ship.
    Lanffear and Gnothappening like this.
  16. a_librarian Augur

truebox is daybreak's 'one weird trick' to reduce M-Q2 and IS-Boxer use on TLP. It keeps these programs out of reach for low information plebs.
    Fenthen likes this.
  17. ASDAprice Lorekeeper

nah truebox is just annoying people that want to box by making them install VMs,
  18. Gnothappening Augur

I think you can be banned for going the VM route on a TLP. Safer to just spend a little on some cheap laptops.
  19. Mattling Elder

It's not wrong.

Every time they release a boxing server, it gets paired with another server. This sort of release is intentional to keep boxers on one server and majority of the player base on the other.

Yes, Aradune had worse login issues than Rizlona. Now imagine a world where there was no Aradune and everyone just piled on to Rizlona. See the problem now?

This isn't rocket science, it's also the reason why pick thresholds are so high and why raids require at least 6 people for creation. The game can only handle so many instances before the servers crap the bed.
    Xhartor likes this.
  20. WokeCat Augur

You know you could actually take it a step further and argue that this is terrible for the economy and the environment. Not only is there a shortage of semiconductors, this individual is using 3,000 kilowatt hours to perform a task that should normally only take 150 watts of hour.
    Doze, Lanffear, Burdi and 2 others like this.