Everquest NTF ?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fishlips_Jones, Jan 21, 2022.

1. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

More content = better

When you have Free, Paid, and Exclusive content they all promote each other.

DP has a small staff, that can add an item that is given to them for low cost. The higher profile involvements bring higher profit, more content, AND more engagement by all the community (even the ftp).

/shrug
  2. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

The whole thing with ORNAMENTS is you have BOTH. You can only put the ornament in a game item. You still earned that awesome sauce thing you earned. You still get all it's stats. You also get an item that you bought to customize your awesome sauce thing to look different, for fun or whatever.

It takes nothing away from you or the game. The idea that the marketplace 'cheapens' ornaments is absurd to me. If you chose a paid ornament over the items base appearance, or an earned ornament, is simply a choice and provides visual variety to the game.
    code-zero likes this.
  3. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

It's kind of a conundrum I can't solve. How is buying something being 'cheap'?

Starting to sound like a whole lotta jelly on the sandwich. People afraid they will start seeing the rich folk wearing Platinum Armor better than the gold armor for goodness sake!
  4. zleski Augur

Alright, here's a non-snarky answer:

NFT is a solution desperately in need of a problem. As a database, the blockchain is spurious; the concept of storing links to digital assets is a long-solved problem. Cross-portability of these assets is simply not a reality, nor is it worth the effort for game studios. Game A's engine is likely dissimilar to game B's engine and there's no money in letting art assets from third parties to exist inside their game (Can you imagine the legal contracts?).

My favourite part if NFTs in a gaming context is the complete disregard for security: You're going to let people have your customers' game clients make requests to unknown servers? And possibly run (dance) animation rendering code on a GPU? Absolutely insane. We don't need a blockchain to ship insecure features -- we've been doing that for decades.

Sure, as an artist, I'm sure you'd love to make bank on the one piece of vector art or dance move you've made. Good luck with that. It has no place in gaming. Convince some other suckers to participate.
  5. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

THANKS! I just keep getting my checks from Daybreak Game for years, but the more MasterMagnus robes you buy, the more you'll help me out, if you really intend to wish me luck with that.

And thankfully I get paid in cash money, no need to worry about blockchain or whatever silliness.
  6. Triconix Augur

I only use in-game acquired ornaments. Arx Mentis Plate life.
    Skuz likes this.
  7. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

<Role Playing Old Timer> Look at the sparkle stick I just earned! Man does that feel good.

<Raider Kid> Iz rollin da T3 min/max swag, me and 50 bros ganked it yo. Looks at me shine!

<Working Stiff> I worked all day, waited for my pay check, just to buy this robe. I like it, looks kinda cool to me.

<Rick Astley with RA crown> How does all this stuff work?
    <general> ur Rick Astley for realz?
    <Rick Astley starts 'singing' in-game> Never gonna let you down, never gonna make you cry, 'cus I looove you!
  8. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Does <Role Playing Old Timer> make money for DP with their playstyle? no
    Does <Raider Kid> make money for DP with their playstyle? no
    Does the content <RPOT> and <RK> like take time and money from DP? yes

Does the content <Working Stiff> likes make money for DP? yes
    Does the content <WS> likes take time and money from DP? no

Does exclusive content only <Rick Astley> can wear make money for DP? yes tons
    Does exclusive content for <RA> take time and money from DP? not if a third party artist made it
    Does exclusive content for <RA> hurt or take away anything from <RPOT><RK>or<WS>? no

Are people jealous of something they can't have? But still wanting to think in their own mind they're special?

There's always a bigger fish. Sometimes those bigger fish are fun to hang around, and the atmosphere it causes can be enhanced because of it.

Forget all the blockchain BS.

Think of Player Studio as the precursor to NFT. It was far from perfect, but some great concepts.

NFT is far from perfect, but some great concepts.

Progress will continue no matter how much luddites cry and smash the machines. Money has been made on digital art for quite a while. Stepping up that game is just a natural progression.
  9. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Lets say the entire gaming industry implements "NFT support" and somehow agree on a compatible file format for character appearance(unlikely, as that will limit graphical evolution).

How would that earn DBG money? Most players will likely just go to a cheap NFT-shop, that isn't run by an expensive gaming company("cheap NFT-shop" means underpaid artists btw), and buy their appearance there.

The point of NFT is the distributed nature of ownership, which means DBG has no control. DBG has nothing to gain from players who buy their looks from outside the game.

The only way DBG can take advantage of that concept, compared to what they do now. Is if players buy their appearance from DBG, in order to use in games not run by DBG. That is, they need better looking outfits than all the competition. Taking resources away from other game-development-related tasks.

What artists are hoping for(I guess?) is that they become a fashion-superstar-creator everyone will buy from, because they are trendy or hip. Of course, DBG could spend lots of money on exclusive contracts with superstar creators, which again takes resources away from other game-development-related tasks.

Being able to both afford expensive outfit-creators AND develop games at the same time, will be a loosing competition against "pure NFT-shops", that doesn't have to spend resources on anything else. This development is probably not in the game developers interest. Maybe EPIC, META and Microsoft might think it would be a good Idea, but for "small" developers it wouldn't be within their budget.

The only people who can "win" with NFTs are the superstar creators and the owners of the NFT-shops.
    At least that is my prediction.

The other problem is that developers will have no control over the visual style of the game, that got to be unsatisfying for the in-house artists, at least that would be my guess. It would end up being a visual mess.
    DBG already has a system(the current marketplace) that benefits them more than NFT ever would. Game developers likes to be in control of the assets in their own game, and they like that they can control the money flow among their own customers.
  10. zleski Augur

11. Angahran Augur

Sure, it'll start with the rich having fancy looking armor.
    Then it'll be the rich buying gear with better stats
    Then it'll be the rich having exclusive zones us mere mortals don't have access to.

Some of us play this game to get away from the bs of the real world. We don't want to import that same bs into Norrath!

If you want something, you earn it IN GAME not just by whipping out your creditcard.
  12. HekkHekkHekk Augur

What are you even going on about?
  13. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

In my totally imaginary rhetorical construction, Rick Astley is the only one whipping out a credit card. You'll never see people with more money than you running around fronting. You'd only very rarely ever come across the real Rick Astley.

And you could make fun of him for having bought the one and only Rick Astley crown in the game instead of 'earning' something important.

But it doesn't hurt anybody, or the game. And in the totally imaginary rhetorical construction, the company gets money, artist gets money, celebrity gets notoriety, etc. win win win win win
    code-zero likes this.
  14. Jumbur Improved Familiar

You seem sure that "rick astley" would buy a crown in DBG's market place, instead of somewhere else and just import it(it is still DBG's responsibility to make it look good in EQ though), so that is a loss for DBG.

I also think it would break my "immersion" if everyone is completely free to design their own "look".
    Beating Vulak with a bunch of knights and wizards, sure.
    Beating Vulak with Goku, Spiderman and Darth Vader in a race-car, not really....
    I don't want everquest to look like Second Life. That is just a personal preference though.
  15. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Can somebody get me some reading comprehension up in here?
  16. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Im sorry, I didn't noticed you changed the subject. I just understood it as an example.

Is your "totally imaginary rhetorical construction" related to NFTs, or do you just want an in-game RMT bazaar*? To me, it sounds like that is what you really want? :confused:

*which Im also against...
  17. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

YES the discussion changed, if you had been paying attention rather than trying to cherry pick bull itsh your way through it.

NFTs with blockchain BS is stupid.

Exclusive digital art content for money is going on all around you.

I posted a hugely illuminating video, nobody can discuss or make an intelligent comment on.

I GET IT. YOU GUYS WANT TO BURN NFTs AT THE STAKE, WITCHES ALL OF EM!

Never ever let the mere concept come near my precious little EQ.

I GOT IT.

18. Jumbur Improved Familiar

An RMT auction house(or bazaar) for digital art is likely feasible, but I don't think it is a good fit for everquest.

To me, gaming is a kind of escapism, that takes place in a fantasy world. The economy in that fantasy world and the economy in the real world should have no influence on each other. That is part of the charm.

I would actually prefer less RMT.
  19. Zanarnar Augur

20. Mitsune Elder

You might not understand all that techo stuff in the background, so here is a simple approach: NFT as a concept can only exist with the blockchain and crypto. That's how they are designed. That's where all the fantasy claims about it come from. The 'NF' is tied to that. And is is a scam.

You are looking for a working licencing model of digital art. Stuff like that does to some degree exist. Like when you sell your through the Marketplace. Will there be more standardized business models, like on a plattform (e.g. on consols) to allow a usage between games? Sure, possible. But any of that will be a solution from the game companies or the plattform that runs their games. And such a solution needs no NFT/blockchain/crypto at all.

For your own peace, stop riding the dead scam horse.

Oh and if you need a more detailed explanation, this covers it pretty well:
    Skuz, Absor and zleski like this.