EverQuest Roadmap 2022

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Accendo, Jan 19, 2022.

1. Soulbanshee Augur

Not sure I can find a source, I am under the impression that it's known that they will be looking to phase out the SysWOW64 (32-bit on 64-bit OS). Maybe not in the short term, but its been coming. 64-bit has been available for way too long for them to just keep backwards compatibility because of holdouts at this point. Most apps have transitioned to 64-bit, either convert or your app dies.
    Coagagin likes this.
  2. Paladin Augur

I am curious as to how these Achievements will work, since Overseer is account wide.
  3. Paladin Augur

I don't understand why this revamp? After all, maxing the Merc available to you is so easy to do! Why the easy button?

I worry that Mercs will get buggy.....
  4. Jeffo-wup New Member

New Progression Server: Locked at Buried Sea!!! I literally have three friends who played back in the day who have said if that happened, they would not play anything else for a "very long time". (I would love it too)
  5. Sotu Sotu Journeyman

I want to be able to hire 5 mercs at the same time. Maybe 2 healer mercs, and 3 tank mercs. And all of them can look like skeletons or something. Also "obedient" mercs that follow commands like /merc attack or /merc back off or /merc stay here... or just as well make them all /stance passive works for me too.

While we're at it, how about new unexpanded tailored bags that when expanded hold more than 20? ... not that we don't have enough 40 slot bags, but all of them are lore and no trade ...
  6. Thomaz New Member

• June:
      • Server Merge - Merging the Phinigel and Miragul servers to Vox
      Are these the only sever mergers being done this year?
  7. Angahran Augur

There is a great difference between 'adjusting' to a new UI and rebuilding a complete UI that has been worked on for years. Some of us who have been around for a while have spent many a long and frustrating hour tinkering with the idiosyncrasies of the UI and having someone who has probably never played the game come in and dumb it down for the current instant gratification generation is just going to make it a complete, unusable mess.
  8. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Level 100 Heroics aren’t high enough to be useful to the community. Level needs to be set at 110 minimum, where there are potentially more grouping activities.

Players are content just as much as quests and raids are content, and starting Heroics at 100 generates little value to the playerbase.
    Shindius and Iven like this.
  9. Cannikin Elder

There is pretty much 0 reason for Microsoft to deliberately break 32-bit compatibility seeing as x86-64 is intentionally designed to have 100% seamless execution of IA-32 (32-bit x86) which doesn't hold back 64-bit applications at all. In fact, Windows 11 is technically the first Windows to completely end support for 16-bit applications (the last 16-bit OS was Windows 3.1 from 1992 for reference), let alone that vastly greater amount of relatively recent 32-bit software.

On the other hand there are literally hundreds of billions of reasons ($$$) to continue supporting 32-bit pretty much indefinitely, given that many of Microsoft's biggest clients are corporations and government agencies that run absolutely ancient software that is rarely updated. Microsoft's biggest goal is always to encourage people to upgrade to their latest OS without worry, not to scare people into clinging to their older OSs forever. Even look at their Xbox division, having the Series X/S support games dating all the way back to the original Xbox from 2001.

Which is not to say you shouldn't transition to 64-bit if at all possible, given all the limitations of 32-bit, but there is no reason to fear that Windows is gonna give the boot to your older software that will never be updated again (just look how far back the compatibility modes go), at least until a new major revision of x86 (e.g. 128-bit) comes around.
    Waring_McMarrin likes this.
  10. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

It’s a UI update stop being such an old fart and complaining about millennials. There’s so much irony in someone sitting in front of the computer waiting for the pretty lights to reward them for pressing 1-2-3 complaining about the instant gratification generation. You consume other people’s work and have to do nothing other than vegetate.

You’re the same as one those rats programmed to push the button for food, when the light flashes.
  11. Riou EQResource

Another problem with 100 is it only gives them a lifespan of just under 6 years (from now) before they are obsolete again
    Shindius, Laurana, Skuz and 3 others like this.
  12. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

When Heroic Chars were introduced in 2014 the max level was only level 100, meaning they were only 15 levels from max.

While level 100 is a nice round number they should really be level 105 at least.
    Shindius, Szilent, Laurana and 2 others like this.
  13. Ozlaar Journeyman

Please no more Progression Servers as it takes away people from the Live servers and time for the Dev's to work on other things the game needs!
  14. Ashigaru Augur

Great to see the roadmap - even if some of it doesn't get achieved, its a really clear, bold statement of intent.

For me (and I'm not sure how popular this opinion is) - I miss the expansion-wide quests for items like the Rallos Zek earring, Cresta's earring, and evolving items (the latter are tenuously part of that group, I know). Quests like that give the expansion longevity I believe, encourage more use of unused areas in the expansion, encourage folks to go back and re-experience content and give group-players a slight power boost.

I also loved the way that RZ earring had additional benefits like augs and powersources.

Any possibility of something like that for TOL? Maybe even something that goes back to COV?
  15. Iven Antonius Bayle

Level 100 Heroic Characters could had been something several years ago but basically this train has passed already. Today lvl 100 would only make sense if the devs stop raising the PC level cap. So maybe a new concept is incoming. Just speculating.
    Shindius likes this.
  16. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I think setting Heroic Characters too close to max level may be indirectly regarded as Pay-to-Win. The devs probably have a balance to provide convenience/ease without stepping into blatant Pay-to-Win territory.

Ironically, for some, the new goalposts after near-max level Heroic Characters will be conditioning their release on a free grant (possibly unlimited at character select) to counter the inevitable perception of Pay-to-Win.
    Coagagin likes this.
  17. Captain Video Augur

Not quite. Current status: All Access gets you J1 to start with, J2-J5 unlocks are all quested. These quests are intertwined with SoD progression, which is when mercs were first introduced to the game. You won't be able to do them at low level. The J5 questline is level 85 content. The Miragul TLP was set up so that all new Heroic toons started in the Feerrott, staged to begin that task before anything else.

I'm assuming we'll be keeping A5 and J5. There have been recurring suggestions to add a "Master"-class merc above J5, but I don't recall Ngreth ever commenting on that possibility officially. Silver accounts are common with people who are boxing alts; F2P accounts are more common for mules. So... quite a few A5s out there.
    Zinth likes this.
  18. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Thanks for the answer, but I'm still confused.

J5 I know about, and it's obvious J5 will be one of the two mercs. The other will be either A2 or A5, I'm hoping for A5 like everyone else.

They said "the two most used". So my question is: Is A2 or A5 'more used'?

Free To Play MAXIMUM is A2 correct?

Is there a quest for FTP to get A5?

Silver MAXIMUM is A5 right out of the box, correct? Or did I do some quest on that account back in the day, I forgot about?

I assume there are more FTP than Silver accounts, and so there are more A2 used than A5.

I'd be willing to believe FTPs just don't use a merc nearly as much as Silver do, but would be a bit surprised.
  19. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Actually at level 75 you can do the earth theme - Murdunk's Last Stand quest sequence and get you the J5

Or at 85 you can do the faster version in HOT No Heroism Without Fear
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  20. Xerxo Journeyman

Hoping there is something planned for tradeskills/crafting.
    Dyna likes this.