64-Bit Servers and Clients Arriving Soon!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Accendo, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

WHY?
    Guilds test the raids,, raids become live.. guilds destroy them in one day.

BORING.
    why is beta still up? Bugs aren't taken seriously on live servers when reported?

I don't understand the reason to keep BETA on.

I also read JChen comment above.. My take on that is, she comes in (Holly left), Im taking over and is silent.. minions act as her pen and not very good at it I must say.

This game management really sucks honestly.
    Players never got any comment about 'paid to play' raise in monthly fee for things we should have had in this expansion. UI changes.. really?

when is 64 active?

Do I have to hunt for info?
  2. KermittheFroglok Augur

From an economic & business strategic perspective, Linux lost the consumer space and likely never will gain traction in it. At the end of the day, there's no significant entity with a need (or worthwhile profit incentive) to advocate quality application development for Linux in the consumer space.

Mac benefits from all of Apple's resources and per Waring_McMarrin, Mac's market share is only about 15%. No one has an economic incentive to push Linux into the consumer space from a platform perspective or an application perspective. Inevitably, Microsoft will fail as technology trends/etc. shift but it's improbable it will be from Linux & it's more likely to be a decline like the railroad tycoons saw following the advent and widespread adoption of the automobile & other forms of transit.

EQ's 64-bit upgrade feels long overdue and it's already a very niche product. It's unlikely EG7/DBG would see value in expanding EQ into a very small base. If they wanted to go mainstream they're more likely to create some sort of softer/cloud or mobile based version of EQ.
  3. Jumbur Improved Familiar

My guess is, that they never really close down the beta server, but use it all year round for internal testing before deploying on the test server. It probably doesn't mean anything if it is still visible...

And they have been taking bugs on live seriously, take a look at the "top bugs" forum, its practically filled with "fixed", "confirmed", and dev-interactions of various sorts...
    Treage_Imminent likes this.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Yep beta is used year round by the developers we just get access to it when they need our help for beta or other testing.
  5. Smokezz The Bane Crew

As was pointed out, access was removed that day.

As for why it was left open to people... the 64 bit client was still being tested there.

Honestly, I'm not sure why people like you and a few others keep playing since you seem to absolutely hate the game. Just go away if you hate it THAT much.
    GrandOpener, Aiko and Khat_Nip like this.
  6. Zanarnar Augur

Really derailing this thread but...

I do think linux distro's have a chance to win back the home user. Valve is doing the *nix gaming community a solid by basing their steam deck on it, and working on a compatibility layer to ensure that a huge swath of existing games work on it, and work well.

I mean I'm playing No Mans Sky with DLSS turned on at 1440p and its buttery smooth. The same can be said for several other "windows only" games I play. This is the best fix for the classic "chicken or the egg" issue with linux gaming. The dev's don't target linux due to the small player base; the player base is small due to the lack of available games. It just went around in circles with a handful of dev's deciding to support it even without a huge player base.

Now.. well the next few years will be quite interesting and telling. IF the steam deck gains traction and proves to be popular, I see more and more dev's making native linux binaries, or at least ensuring everything works flawlessly via Proton out of the box.

If it flops.. well it likely takes the future of gaming on linux with it. To say that its success is critical to the future of linux gaming is not overstating the importance even a little.

If they are successful, and knowing SteamOS will be free to deploy on your hardware, I can see gaming machines being built around it and sold. Once people are gaming on linux, they start to wonder what else it can do and the doors open. Noone I know *likes* using windows. I don't think the general user really cares what they run, just that it works and lets them run the apps they need/want to.
    Kalea Graywolf likes this.
  7. Jumbur Improved Familiar

New UI? 3d-render/DX upgrade? Other guesses?

Let the speculation begin...:cool:
  8. Nennius Curmudgeon

/eggroll
    Jumbur likes this.
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

They left beta up this year to allow more test time for 64 bit.

64 bit was pushed to test server earlier this week.

If I read Jchans producers letter correctly we can expect 64 bit on live in the Febuary/March patch.
    code-zero and Veteran_BetaTester like this.
  10. Evurkvest Augur

This is the end of buff slot limitations on raid mobs? Sry if this has been brought up, i didnt read the entire thread.
  11. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Buff slot limits has nothing to do with how many bits the game use, afaik.
    The main point of upgrading to 64 bit, is the ability to use more memory. Which will make it possible to increase the graphical detail in future expansions.

It should also help with performance, if memory management and disk-swapping is a bottleneck. This goes for the server too...
  12. Evurkvest Augur

I'm pretty sure they have blamed the slot limit on the 32 bit architecture in the past. But perhaps we have to live with it like usual.
  13. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Im sure the limit is dictated by some technical limitations of a data-structure somewhere, which may be limited by 32bit. Data-structures can be changed regardless of bit-depth(bag-sizes is an example of that). It might be an advantage to do it while changing the bit-depth though, but I haven't heard of any changes to the debuff-limit on test yet.

But the debuff cap is also a mechanism to limit dot-dps which the raid-events are tuned after. That is a gameplay decision.

My guess is, that a lot of old data-structures in everquest, are based on structs and bitfields where they hardcoded the sizes and data-layouts. It is an inflexible way of handling it, but perhaps it was an advantage if the data needed to be tightly packed in fixed sized network-packets(the game was originally optimized for slow modems after all).
    Changing the bit-depth of the client/server may alter all those hardcoded layouts, and force them to a more flexible approach. So maybe it will no longer be a problem in the future...Maybe the debuff-limit will be easier to change too?

However, I think DBG wants to make sure the 64bit version behaves exactly like the 32bit version, in a stable manner. And only do sweeping changes that take advantage of the upgrade, after the 64bit version has "settled".
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I am not sure it is to limit dot dps as much as it is to limit the impact on performance. Considering everything that has a debuff these days players are prevented from using abilites so that necros can land more dots. I do remember them saying in the past that there are performance related reasons for not increasing the number.
  15. Jumbur Improved Familiar

True, performance can be many things. It could be a way of limiting the amount of network-traffic too. I think DBG designed themselves into a corner, with all the secondary effects/procs that goes on in a combat-round nowadays. I think a lot of classes and game-mechanics needs to be "simplified" to make room for more necros, the proc-change was probably a low hanging fruit in that direction.

Im not saying that the debuff limit will never be changed, but just changing the bit-depth of the game is not the only thing needed for it(it may be a step towards it though).
    At least thats my take.:)
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They said it was due to server load as the server has to keep track of the buff slots for every npc and they can't just raise it for raid bosses but have to increase it for every npc. As for simplifying others to make room for necros I would also argue that necros could also get the same done to them. Overall I think if there is any class that needs to load multiple spell bars worth of spells to maximize their dps something is wrong and it seems necros are still in that position.
    Jumbur likes this.
  17. Talif Augur

Agreed with all of this. I've been hearing about Linux killing Windows for a couple of decades now. While they've made great inroads into the server world, I don't realistically see a day anytime soon where they replace the desktop world.
    Juicewrld likes this.
  18. Juicewrld New Member

New card
  19. Juicewrld New Member

Keen observation =)
  20. Darkerknight Lorekeeper

Curious, will the new 64 bit clients provide the flexibility needed to update Character models? Would be nice if new models were rolled out at some point. The current ones are only 20+ years old.
    Jumbur likes this.