64-Bit Servers and Clients Arriving Soon!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Accendo, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Treage_Imminent Elder

You have mentioned DPG dropping XP with little notice a couple of times in this thread, but the only post I could find references a 2 year heads up. It also explains why XP was finally terminated. Is there something else you are referring to? This was posted by a former dev on May 2nd ,2017.

Yinla likes this.
  2. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Daybreak usually gives a heads up several months in advance, and it was well known already, that a 64bit update would eventually come. JChan confirmed it in one of their streaming Q&A's more than a year ago.
    The only new info is that it will happen in "early 2022", rather than "eventually", and that we can already now test it out on the beta-server.
    Does everyone have access to beta now, or is it still only restricted to people who preordered ToL?
  3. Febb Augur

You can only get access to beta if you pre ordered ToL.
  4. Iven Antonius Bayle

The best thing would be if DBG and the whole gaming industry would move on to a user friendly Linux distro and get rid of bad software that is only there to get control over its users. Who is developing the DBG lauchpad software at all, is it Microsoft ?! o_O
  5. theonepercent Augur

Too bad that doesn't exist.
    Hapless, Skuz, Nennius and 1 other person like this.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why would they move away from the OS with the largest market share to one that has barely any of it? The reason why game companies support windows is because that is where the majority of the market is. If EQ switched to linux (or mac) only they would lose a lot of players who have no desire to switch to another os for a single game that showing its age.

Numbers for December 2021

https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/desktop/worldwide

Windows - 73.72%
    Mac - 15.33%
    Unknown - 6.67%
    Chrome OS - 2.18%
    Linux - 2.09%
    Shindius, Hapless, Skuz and 2 others like this.
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

[IMG]
  8. Zanarnar Augur

Ya I actually PLAY on linux, and wouldn't expect them to support it officially in any way ever.

IF they do an game engine swap on the client side, it would be nice if they picked one that supported Vulkan, and even better if it was an engine that ran on linux too (both of which make running under wine/whatnot way better as there is less translation going on)
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Beta access for all is removed as of today.

I'm expecting 64 bit to hit test servers next week and live the following month if all goes well. Beta ironed out a few issues, mainly with the patcher wanting to give us 3 or 4 32 bit files instead of 64 bit files.
    Jumbur likes this.
  10. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Beta access hasn't been removed. The server is up right now, characters are still there...
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

12. Smokezz The Bane Crew

13. Bitten Journeyman

Beta currently (within the last minute) locked.
  14. Iven Antonius Bayle

It would not work if DBG would do this alone. Linux is just that unpopular because it does not support most games and does lack hardware and software compatibility. A Linux distro with a VM that does support Win 10 and 11 could be a game changer as the game performance would also improve. It is up to the gaming industry to set a new standard and to develop a user friendly distro that does highly support games. The gaming industry has ignored the potential of Linux for way to long and now everyone is totally dependant on the Microsoft syndicate which does include some of the biggest hardware producers. Without thinking ahead the problems will increase more and more.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Getting a Linux setup that supports a Windows VM isn't a challenge but running software in a VM is a waste of resources as you need to allocate it both to the underlying Linux system as well as the guest system as well. In the end if you are depending on running a VM for the software Microsoft is still in the middle and all the same issues as if you just ran it on a native Windows machine. All I see are downsides for trying to run Windows software in a virtual environment that doesn't really change anything.

But what potential is there in a platform that has about 2% of the market? Doesn't matter if you could run every game with double the performance and quality if there are no users to support it.
  16. Aussieguy Lorekeeper

Will this new update to 64bit help with the lag in the Guild Lobby? Usually when I go inside, a lot of players there and I can barely move. My PC is extremely OP and got my head scratching.

Thanks for any info.
  17. Iven Antonius Bayle

Don't think so Aussieguy. I use a 13 year old PC and have not much lag in the guild lobby so it might be just your EQ setup.

-> /hidemodels all afk noncombat
    -> Turn of the journal (Alt-J)

Graphic options
    -> Reduce clip plane

Advanced graphic options
    -> Reduce frame rate to 30-40
    -> Turn off shadows
    -> Minimum memory usage
    -> Activate texture streaming

It would be a hybrid solution for the first few years which I think would be necessary. A good linux distro that does get promoted will automatically attract new users. MS-DOS only got popular and even more popular than the Mac because there were so many games for it beside the office functionality and all the other stuff.
    Kalea Graywolf likes this.
  18. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I don't think there were any big "lag-piles" present on the beta server, and I have not seen any detailed benchmarks. But one tester remarked that the 64bit client used less resources on his setup, compared to the 32bit client, while wandering around in pok.

My guess is that we well see slightly less harddisk usage as the 64bit client will have more memory, It could potentially make a populated lobby a less choppy experience, but time will tell..
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

First few years? Unless you can make an enterprise solution and replace all the enterprise software you will never get any headway into the market. There is a very good reason Microsoft dominates the marketplace and it all revolves around enterprise users. Unless you can start shifting enterprise customers away from Windows there will be no reason for most developers to develop for anything but Windows and Mac's.

Really how many would want to develop for a platform that has 2% of the userbase over one that has almost 74% of it? You would need some killer software in order to convince anyone to make the change.
    Nennius likes this.
  20. Iven Antonius Bayle

I might be to visionary and optimistic but linux will replace Microsoft for several reasons one day. You have to think big and in a long range ahead. Everything that is big today started small and Microsoft is no longer that dominant than ten years ago which does include the enterprise market. About all servers do run on linux and a lot companies including governments do use it now. The point is that someone just has to start it and they would need a lot money for it and a long time strategy. To replace MS software the new product just has to be better which should not be that hard. After more than 40 years MS is still not capable to create a stable quality OS.