Please, someone explain to me why I can't level quick anymore?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Aussieguy, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Fcseven XIII Journeyman

Same. I wish they would change it back. Whoever made the decision to move exp away from mobs does not know or understand Everquest.
    BadPallyGuildLeader, Leerah and Eldur like this.
  2. sieger Augur

Exp was not moved away from mobs. ToL mobs give more XP than CoV mobs, and CoV mobs gave more XP than ToV mobs, and ToV mobs gave more XP than ToL mobs.

Exp per kill of mobs has not decreased.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  3. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

They’re talking about %, not raw experience numbers.
    Kazint likes this.
  4. sieger Augur

That is neither implied nor suggested with salacious claims like "decision to move exp away from mobs", grinding is still quite viable, as many people have pointed out--in fact it is fairly reasonable to level by grinding. Some people want a return to the EOK and ROS eras, when you could plop down with a Lesson going in Frontier Mountains or Sathir's Tomb and grind exp to max in a few casual sessions. That was actually not in line with the historical norms of EverQuest, the current grind speed is more in line with most of EQ's 22 year history.
  5. Kazint Augur

Whether the cause is mob xp, total xp needed for level, or inflated hp of the mobs. The issue is about how long it takes.
    Skuz and Leerah like this.
  6. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

I don’t know how you would arrive to the conclusion of people talking raw experience values, because the player only sees % values. Unless, you’re using some 3rd party software to see the experience values.
  7. sieger Augur

Or actually reading these forums--the devs directly addressed this when the same people crying now made similar crybaby threads when ToV launched by stating unequivocally that raw exp per mob values went up.
  8. sieger Augur

That was addressed many times already too--people that have actually ground to 120 instead of crying on the forums have shown the math--the full grind approach is not significantly slower than a combination of Mission + Tasks.
    code-zero likes this.
  9. Kazint Augur

I don't know what numbers you're going by. Frank mentioned 30-40% of a level in 4 hours of grinding while you can get something like 3 full levels in 10 hours just by doing tasks and missions. That's how long it took my group and we didn't exactly put in much effort.

It's obviously significantly faster. Even more so when compared to people who don't have good groups to work with or prefer to solo/molo. And then you start adding up the inflated AA prices and I can understand why some people find the last few expansions tedious.
    Skuz and Treage_Imminent like this.
  10. Gorg00 Augur

Missions are the only part that is meaningfully faster. The quest portion is only slightly faster than grinding.

Like I'm guessing of that 10 hours, an hour, maybe 2 of it was missions which then gave you 150% of a level. The remaining 8-9 hours of questing got you the additional 150%, for a rate of 16-18% an hour versus 10% an hour full out grinding.
  11. sieger Augur

You can't extrapolate mission speed out to the entire process--you will only get about 1.5 levels from the missions or whatever. The rest of the quests are much lower XP / hour, and then you have grinding to do to finish out. This assumes you didn't have stuff stacked going into the expansion.
  12. FranktheBank Augur

Well, comparing it to the first time you run the first 4 missions is disingenuous as thats something both parties can do.
  13. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Yes, don’t count mission achievements because that throws off their narrative.
    Skuz and Kazint like this.
  14. Gorg00 Augur

I don't think anyone has ever disagreed that the mission rewards are disproportionate for the amount of time it takes to complete them. In fact I was the person who pointed out that fact originally, while the rest of y'all were focusing on the quests, which were not.

I've also pointed out that even if you skip the missions, it doesn't add *that* much additional time (15ish hours).

Given the new type 5s only come from doing the missions and for the most part they're barely more difficult than grinding mobs, it seems silly to skip doing the missions, but if you do then that will slow you down by about 15 hours of grinding.

If these threads were discussing whether mission rewards specifically were in line with the amount of time they take. That would be one thing. Unfortunately folks are either very bad at explaining their point, being dishonest, or don't actually understand the differences between the amount of XP you can get from the varying systems and they come onto these forums and make nonsense claims like overseer is mandatory, pay to win is mandatory, that questing is mandatory, etc. That's all complete nonsense.
  15. FranktheBank Augur

Its silly to count the missions. Even those of us who grinded did the missions, because it would be stupid not to.
    Ozon likes this.
  16. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Please, go play the game.

In the time it took you to post to this thread you could have gathered a group and done a mission. Sorry to say but I think your post is a vanity complaint. A 'me too' cry wolf post about a non-existent problem.

At least half my guild of 200 is level 120. Some people are working on their third and fourth string alts already. The expansion hasn't even been out for 4 weeks yet. Anyone crying about slow XP is either faking it or isn't trying at all. I play 10 hours a week and I am already 119. I'll be 120 this weekend.

Again...please, go play the game if you want to level.
    Nennius likes this.
  17. Kazint Augur

You've both completely missed he point of the conversation. Some people don't want to or aren't capable of doing the missions/quests for achievements. All they're doing is grinding xp and if that's all you do then it's slow. End of story.
    Leerah likes this.
  18. Flatchy Court Jester

It was slow at the beginning of EQ as well. When I started 65 was top level. I got there solo and it took forever. It was not weeks nor months , prolly a couple years. Doing tasks and missions is faster yes , I never used to do them, I abhorred them. I also missed out on a ton of heroics and trophies and other free gimmies. I banged out 5 levels so fast this year just from doing my missions. I did them with one other person. I did buy 4 Heroic task adds to finish it out but hey ill do them later. You really do yourself a disservice by not doing progression. I see now that your character really gains a lot by doing it, and you ding faster.
    Wdor likes this.
  19. Nickalispicalis Journeyman

I am in a similar position as you are. Highest character is a level 102 SK & 96 Enchanter. Missions seems to be the best way to gain exp, but be warned. Some of them although supposedly designed for "1 to 6" characters cannot be soloed/molod or even boxed. They are designed for full groups. Your level gap between your characters will also be a problem as they were typically take the highest character and add on 3 levels as the highest level mob you will face. This made my enchanter utterly useless as the mobs were too high to be mezzed.
    Overseer will help you a lot. Use it.
    Wdor and Leerah like this.
  20. Fenthen aka Rath

Have you tried /qui for the quickexp game mode?

/ducks!