Monk Damage

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Cicelee, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Cicelee Augur

Dusted off my monk who is wearing either EOK or ROS raid gear, to show how long it has been since the monk last played. I got the monk to 115 yesterday, thanks to some collectible quest rewards and a really good GD group.

Monk has 22k AA. Last time I played, most of the damage that a monk did was from their feet. Therefore your AA focus should be on things like Thunderfoot, Kick Mastery, Heel of Brithax, etc.

In 2021, is the focus still on kicks? Or has weapon damage and AA and discs caught up to where I should be spending AA on that?

Thank you monk community for your answers.
  2. Maui New Member

most recent parse from CoV raids, my monk dps was: 53% crush, 25% kick, 10% proc, 8% strike, 2.5% hit, 0.5% punch.
    crit AA, triple attack, and 2her AA are most efficacious.

This is with end raid 2hb and hdex 3200 ish.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Cicelee like this.
  3. Complexity New Member

Things have changed since EoK. I play a monk in the top guild on my server. Back in EoK and TBM and RoS (to a lesser degree) it was always a tossup to see who got top DPS on the raid between me and the the top rogue. Now, even with max AA and level and full tier 2 crafted raid gear, tribute, all the potions and poison, clickies, solid ADPS, etc. and doing everything else just right, I'm lucky if I make it into the top ten, even if I use a glyph. The devs can tear down a class simply by not upgrading it as much as the others as they come out with each new expansion.

They let it get so bad back about ten years ago that monks were the only class not included in the ideal raid force. Not there again yet but depends how long the neglect goes on.

Might not be so bad but with the change in raid mechanics, the uplifting of bard pullers after PoP, and the unimportance of splitting raid pulls nowadays, melee DPS is the only thing monks bring to the raid while rogues (as always, and as they should) do more from behind when they can manage it, while berserkers do more, period.

Monks need a new raid role. I keep thinking they could unnerf riposte for the monk class, and actually make it advantageous for us to face the mob in fight, letting us turn our opponents strengths back upon them as is appropriate for a martial arts based class, and maybe even riposte some of the attacks aimed at the tank. At least we would no longer be directly competing with the berserkers for the exact same raid role.
    Hurrikane and SmellyFinger like this.
  4. Tucoh Augur

Complexity, how much would you say this post of mine is true.

[IMG]
  5. Raptorjesus5 Augur

Monks started out early on as a sort of hybrid between tank and melee dps. However this quickly came to be a problem in Velious when gear really started to get good and monks were OP. In Luclin they got brought down to reality, but the concept as "Monks are good tanks" is still prevalent in the game today despite it not being true for a really, really really longs time.

Unless something has changed in the past couple expansions:
    Monks can take damage reasonably well for the very short duration of their defensive cooldowns.
    Monks have almost no ability to generate aggro on demand, especially so for multiple mobs at once.
    Group geared monks will die pretty quickly fighting anything higher than 1, maybe 2 dark blues at a time.
    Monks aren't even that much better at pulling anymore, pretty much every class has an instant aggro wipe now. Still good pullers, but the gap isn't that wide anymore.
  6. HeatherPurrs Augur

People play monks to play monks these days.
    Not the best or even the second best at anything in the game now.
    Monks are dead to min max groups, raids and guilds.

There's nothing a monk can provide a group or raid that another class can't provide better.

We can add Monks, to the Wizards, Druids, et. al. pile of avatars the devs didn't find useful in their box groups.

Vizier likes this.
  7. fireworks Journeyman

I'm surprised they don't have a "headshot"-type AA yet. Doesn't really help raid damage situation, but just kinda makes sense if other non-spell DPS classes have it.
  8. Randomized Augur

If they could find a lore or even class roleplaying reason for it, I'd still be against it ;) I've got a 111 Ranger and a 106 Rogue that I don't really play, but I'd rather we didn't give every class an insta-gib ability.

Headshot makes sense with bows
    Assassination makes sense with Rogues
    Decap makes sense with the unbridled fury and strength of Zerkers

Monks could have something along the lines of Palpitation AA or something. /shrug But i'd still rather just leave the 3 classes to their insta-gib abilities. No need to add homogenization
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  9. Szilent Augur

Decap is t r a s h compared to those other two. It's substantially weaker than just another melee hit per proc. Welcome to go on, but you can leave Decapitate off your mental list for these things.
  10. Randomized Augur

Fair enough. Not sure if it got nerfed or if it’s always been trash, I have 0 personal experience with it. I just know it exists and falls under the same category
  11. DaciksBB Augur

It has been nerfed a few times. Its proc rate is really bad as far as I know and the biggest problem with it is that the damage from it is direct damage (magic) instead of melee damage so it doesn't really get effected by many zerker abilities.

Also I may have quit but I still hope that monks never get a slaying ability
    Skuz likes this.
  12. Zolav Augur

Decap... in its hayday was BALLER! Like Daciks said it just kept getting nerfed. It still hits for a good chunk butits TRASH now IF you compare it to the other two abilities. Why they fire on blue cons is beyond me. Should only be light blue.
    Skuz likes this.
  13. Riou EQResource

They all get to work on white cons now with the ToL ranks :p
  14. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Monks are essentially a third-string DPS. They aren't needed or necessarily desired on Raids, and certainly not in groups.

Monks, brace yourselves to stay in this slump for at least another year.
  15. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Unrelated note, but how are Monks as off-tanks for group content?
  16. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Pretty terrible.

Can they take a hit? Yes. For a limited time, using defensives.

Can they gank aggro? Potentially yes, once every 10 minutes using Chest clicky.

Can they hold aggro? No. Never.
    Skrab likes this.
  17. HeatherPurrs Augur

You don't know what off tanking is. We can't off tank.
  18. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

I do know what off-tanking is and was thinking of building up a monk to have an off-tank for the occasional mission that has mobs in two locations that need to be tanked. The most recent that comes to mind is the one from TBL, where you have to port up to the platforms and kill them in roughly the same time for the achievement.

I just remember monks always being serviceable in the group game for that role, where you don’t want to add a 2nd knight or war.

I made it to 110, but Monk seems really underwhelming to play. I should’ve listened.
  19. DaciksBB Augur

You need raid gear to be serviceable as a tank outside of Earthforce but all classes can tank somewhat well with glyph. Also monk epic 2.0 (if you don't have cleric aura) and delay death are decent secondary tanking abilities, with Shaded Step as the nuclear option. Playing a monk as a box is just a no go though

As far as monk aggro goes, it's obviously not as much as tank aggro ever will be but outside of rangers who want aggro, monks generate a good amount. That's also hinging on the rest of the group DPS using their silent casting and subtle strikes; without those it gets dicey.
  20. HeatherPurrs Augur

Monks can't taunt. They aren't off tanks. If a group is relying on monks for off tanking you're gonna die.
    Raptorjesus5 and Hurrikane like this.