Suggestion for Daybreak/DPG Re: Class / Race Unlocks on future TLPs

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Piznut, Nov 23, 2021.

1. Piznut Angry Gnome

I would like to suggest that you open up Daybreak store options to make later-available race/class combinations earlier than their TLP expansion release.

You wanna play a froglok monk in classic? Sure, 2500ish Daybreak Coins.
    Gnome Shadowknight? Go right ahead, that'll be 25 bucks.
    You wanna play a wood elf beastlord? Delete the game.

Heck, unlock special combos that people can buy, or even limited time ones... or have another vote. You could stick generic trainers in the EC tunnel to accomodate this. That's where race changes bind you anyways.

This would bring additional money to Daybreak, as well as give players something they've been asking for for years.
    Hirbow likes this.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I really hate the idea of paying to unlock a class, I have long been in favour of a TLP that opened with all classes available from Classic onwards even if some races are expansion locked, even if they cannot start their epic 1.0 until their original expansion opens, there are alternative races to start with, there are alternative weapons available but at least those classes would not have to start much later on and miss out on the fun of the early expansions even if they were never a part of them originally.

It definitely sucks starting on a TLP only once GoD has unlocked and basically having to solo/box because everyone else is busy raiding the expansion that unlocked your class, and you got just 8-12 weeks to catch up to everyone already at 65 in PoP PoTime gear and full PoP AA, you end up missing out on most of GoD which is a fantastic expansion to play through on TLP. I was really super-lucky in that I had a couple folks who spent their free time powerlevelling me as much as they could, many people will not have that level of support.

So I do feel that all classes unlocking from the start for a TLP is the way to go, and are paid for already just as part of your sub.

Paying to unlock races I am a lot more relaxed about, but I would hope that this would make way for a much greater range of race & class combinations than are currently available.
  3. Hirbow Augur

Love the idea; if you want the extra race/class you buy it , else you wait for its current expansion. Great idea to spice up the next server.
  4. Piznut Angry Gnome

Yeah, the race thing is the big one that I think would appeal to people. While I agree with your sentiment of hating to pay to unlock a class, that would likely require a lot of work behind the scene on DPG's part.

One thing I've learned from my experience in management and business, is that unless there's a potential increase in profits there, then companies typically won't put in the extra work. If they think they can make enough money off of it to justify it, then they will put the work forth to make it happen.

I do think if they allowed people to pay for beastlord / berserker from day one, a lot of people would pay it. It would be kind of interesting to go through the early servers as a class you normally can't play.
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

The biggest problem would be the races that are not unlocked. Starting the server in Luclin would solve the Vah Shir (and beast epic), but TSS I think is a little too much of a jump for the Drakinn. The zones are there for the frogs would just need to have the later version of Rathe Mountians in and not the original.
  6. Captain Video Augur

For the umpteenth time, it can't be done without major development work, and the priorities are such that no resources will ever be allocated to this kind of task. Each race/class unlock has a lot of specific content which is hard-coded to a particular expansion. There are itemization issues, there are wardrobe appearance issues, there are targeted quest issues, and more I'm not even going to try and think about here. The TLPs are intended to allow those interested to play through content in the order it was originally released. If you want to scramble the order into something else, you can do any/all of that on a Live server.
  7. Xhartor Augur

The biggest problem with starting a classes early is that a lot of thing needed to support that class aren't in place yet. Epics, quest armor is tied that unreleased expansion.

Iksar would also have this problem in classic, since they can't use a lot of the class gear in classic.
  8. tollo New Member

They literally just released a TLP server that required major development work and did things that they previously said were completely off the table. I don't know where you are getting this confidence that you know what their priorities are. None of those issues you mentioned are showstopping issues at all. Like if there are broken quests or appearances who even cares? People will play it anyway
    Skuz likes this.
  9. Azurefrost Elder

This game doesn't need anymore more microtransaction! If they gonna add ability for certain class combonations just add them to the game. Don't nickle and dime customers even worse than it already is.
  10. Captain Video Augur

Wrong. Random loot required almost no development work at all, which is why they were willing to experiment with it. All that was needed was to tweak some loot table rules, which are all table-driven. Free trade rules were already in the codebase because FV has been using them for years. What this thread is asking for would probably take 1000x more work hours than what it took to launch Mischief. It ain't gonna happen.
  11. Piznut Angry Gnome

I literally addressed this in my last post.

Yeah, the race thing is the big one that I think would appeal to people. While I agree with your sentiment of hating to pay to unlock a class, that would likely require a lot of work behind the scene on DPG's part.

One thing I've learned from my experience in management and business, is that unless there's a potential increase in profits there, then companies typically won't put in the extra work. If they think they can make enough money off of it to justify it, then they will put the work forth to make it happen.
  12. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Get a grip. Classes are limited by the expansion they are locked to. It would take them a few minutes to change it. They don't because they have argued that because those classes don't have X, Y, or Z they don't want to do so. Like not being able to do epic. They could change that at any time, they just don't want to. The same exact reason that things like halfling paladins which already exist in game, and already have the same exact quests as every other paladin, and even have the NPCs for the paladin guild up on day 1 of a new TLP, still have to wait until a specific expansion.

Because it was tied to an expansion unlock.
    Skuz likes this.
  13. Silver-Crow Augur

I'm not sure TSS is that bad. It's the last expac actually designed to start at level 1, and it's past that level 70 hump everyone hates. All classes are unlocked, and it's just the late unlocks like woodsie bst that are missing. I'm sure those could be added in without too much problem.

I sometimes think if Miragul had started at lvl 75 in TSS with a cut down heroic boost it would have been a huge success.
    Skuz and Yinla like this.
  14. Machen New Member

Not if it still had truebox.
  15. code-zero Augur

Yeah, general player consensus seems to be that Truebox should disappear during that long stretch of level 70 expansions. Making Miragul a Truebox server was a serious blunder
    Skuz, Kywen and Tweakfour17 like this.
  16. Nolrog Augur

The solution is that no epics until everyone can get them.
  17. FranktheBank Augur

Not as big of an issue as you would think. Berserkers even have a ton of options for mid and high level weapons.

They were pretty open about it being a huge undertaking for the devs who worked on this. So I don't know why you would choose to say otherwise.
  18. Captain Video Augur

Source? It certainly wasn't here in these forums. A "huge undertaking" for a novelty rule change would have generated large player outcry, given the long list of much higher priority needs.
  19. FranktheBank Augur

Dreamweaver on discord.
  20. Captain Video Augur

Discord is not official, no record is kept, and in any case Dreamweaver was never a dev. Show me where an actual dev said it was a "huge undertaking", or it didn't happen.