64-Bit Servers and Clients Arriving Soon!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Accendo, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Covennx Augur

The AE from the tantorlings has a magnification effect.
  2. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Must be a bug, that it doesn't work in first person view. :(
  3. Nolick Chapped up

Another race or another class? How do you fit that into the already completely crazy and contradicting lore? A meteor crashes in the planet and BAM a new race came with it? No, how bout the Dorfs were digging really deep and presto a new race was discovered? Nah, wait, what about Ogres and Trolls finally are able to mate and create... Frolls or maybe Trogres?

We have enough races and classes.. its already a struggle keeping everything semi balanced. This will not help.
  4. Nolick Chapped up

What? SHHHHHHHhhhh..... Stop talking. We use this lag as part of a strat to beat the events.. Ok everyone pop Jesters and engage.. we got this!!
    Qelil and Nennius like this.
  5. Iven Antonius Bayle

It was the same lack in information when the Daybreak support for Windows XP got cancelled. WIndows 7 is more stable but Windows XP is faster and was just fine for the players. Maybe the change was just because they changed to Windows 7 by themselves and do not want to test their game on older operating systems with each EQ patch.

Companies never do anything for their customers their only goal is earning revenue so they do everything they propagate only for the company which basically are the owners and shareholders. And the employees want to keep their jobs in many cases.
  6. Nennius Curmudgeon

You know, we dwarves would love to tell the truth of that. But, then I'd have to kill you. I wouldn't want to. I really wouldn't. I would most likely regret it until my next meal. But we dwarves MUST keep some secrets.

7. Nennius Curmudgeon

And I thought I was a cynic. I think “never” is going a bit too far. And also unproveable I might add. I have worked for companies that did altruistically do some things. Not many, but some. In any case, most businesses must look to the bottom line in decision making. Businesses that don’t often end up as decaying relics or past memories. Expecting anything else is just foolishness.
    Barton likes this.
  8. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Corporations have a legal obligation (fiduciary duty) to their shareholders to maximize profits. "Altruistic" corporations can't really exist, unless the shareholders say so. I've never heard of such an organization existing, but definitely none that sells stuff for profit.

I think most corporate "charity" tie-ins or donations are about tax write-offs and marketing (a high-profile charitable donation is excellent marketing, and cute way to spend money that would otherwise be earmarked for marketing).
    MasterMagnus and Nennius like this.
  9. Gorg00 Augur

This is not true in the slightest, at least in the US.

To quote the US Supreme Court in Burwell v Hobby Lobby:

The case law in this area (corporate law), describes directors as fiduciaries not only to the shareholders, but also to the corporation itself and instructs them to use that power "in the best interests of the company". The courts have regularly ruled that the "best interests of the company" extends far beyond simply what maximizes the most profit.

Directors are shielded by what is called the "business judgement rule", which is effectively a rule that says that as long as there wasn't a personal conflict and the Directors made a reasonable attempt to stay informed, then the courts will not second guess the board's decision about what is in the best interests of the company, even if it predictably reduces profits or share price.

For more information, check out https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...cdfb14-9336-11e3-84e1-27626c5ef5fb_story.html
    Niskin, Svann2, Grove and 4 others like this.
  10. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I stand corrected, and thank you!

But while the "best interests of the company" may extend beyond simply what maximizes the most profit, it is still the "best interests of the company", and not other people or it's customers. Which is to say that the company must always put itself first - sort of the opposite of altruism.

EDIT: That article is great and eye-opening. I still think the idea of an "altruistic" corporation is far fetched, but I am inspired by the knowledge that it is far from illegal! Thanks again!
    Orangemilk likes this.
  11. Nennius Curmudgeon

All corporations aren't large and there are quite a few non-profit corporations. Goodwill Industries, AMVETS, etc. While it is certainly true that large corporations, and many others as well, are pretty cutthroat in how they compete. Many smaller corporations are not nearly so cutthroat. It is is easy to generalize, but realities trend to be pretty complex.

I have worked for several small companies that are incorporated who looked after their bottom lines with great care, but also were quite charitable. In some cases, perhaps a bit too much at times in my opinion, but who built considerable good will in the community by being charitable. It is possible to be both charitable and successful.
  12. Yukaan the Bear Journeyman

Where in the world has this thread gone?? From 64 bit to Supreme Court cases…nobody can ever say that EQ players don’t have range of thought!
  13. Buds Augur

Oh man, DB didn’t realize that. Stop the 64 bit rollout, this guys $50 laptop is gonna have an issue. Come on man, any pc/ laptop in the last decade will run this fine. It’s worth it for the higher bazaar plat limits alone!
  14. Thunderkiks Augur

My oldest I play EQ on since I truebox is a 2007 and it has 64 bit windows.
  15. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I'm not playing right now myself, so I wouldn't try to convince you to upgrade for the game. But if you do want to keep playing, I think there are a lot of better options for that $200 that would allow you to play with legit Windows, rather than upgrading an ancient old laptop ;) :
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=laptop&r...5&ref=sr_nr_p_n_operating_system_browse-bin_1
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Skuz like this.
  16. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Agreed. There is no sense spending money on an ancient laptop.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  17. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Nope, -1 forces it to use all cores.
  18. theonepercent Augur

Not true. The game can't magically use more cores than it was programmed to. CPU affinity tells Windows what cores the game is allowed to use not how many. -1 means it doesn't care what core the game is on, setting it to any other number tells windows to only use that particular cpu core/thread.

So if you have cpu affinity set to 1 and theres already a bunch of stuff running on core 1 you end up lagging because that single core can't handle everything. Whereas if you set the affinity to -1 Windows will see that core 1 is full and run the game somewhere else but will still only run on that 1 core (maybe some others if the game actually has multiple threads.)
  19. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

They added the functionality in a decade or so ago when Vista came out. By default EQ will use just whatever core Windows offers it. The default of whatever core can result in the same core being used by multiple instances, so the Devs introduced the the cpu affinity options to allow players to allow EQ to put a specific instance on a specific core only. Later still, the Devs explicitly added the -1 option to inform EQ to make use of all Cores. This has been stated by the Devs multiple times in the past as how it functions.
  20. Jumbur Improved Familiar

The wording is ambiguous here, it could mean that EQ could spread itself out to use multiple cores, if multiple instances of EQ is running. Each instance on its own separate core.

Changing a single-core program to effectively use multiple cores is non-trivial at best. It will often mean a complete refactoring of the entire thing.
    Im not claiming you are wrong(I simply don't know), but it would be a very extensive optimization, and I would expect they would have made a bigger deal out of it, if it was true.