64-Bit Servers and Clients Arriving Soon!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Accendo, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Cannikin Elder

Indeed, I'm very happy that DPG has finally put the time and investment in upgrading EQ to 64-bit. That means EQ has substantial room to grow technologically in the future, instead of being crippled by the limitations of 32-bit forever. I wish there was a way to convert some more not-so-old software that is severely hampered by 32-bit, single-threaded coding (e.g. Supreme Commander from 2007).

I'm just trying to assuage the fears of some people who believe that upgrading to 64-bit Windows will somehow break their 32-bit programs. The fact is that 32-bit programs work fine (or even better) in 64-bit in the vast majority of cases, while exactly 0% of 64-bit programs will run if you stay on 32-bit, now including EQ in the near future.

Everyone will be forced to move to 64-bit eventually, because hardware does not last forever. You can either do so now on your own terms when it is relatively painless to do so, or you can wait for your ancient system to suddenly keel over one day and risk losing everything at the most inopportune time.
  2. Chorus Augur

You can always download vmplayer, for free, and install your old OS into a VM and load up those older games into that VM. In the modern era, it's not a lot of work to do these things anymore. Don't need to wait for someone to code up an e_mulator or anything else. Also, why is the word e_mulator hidden when typed normally? That's a bit ridiculous.
    Treage_Imminent, Shindius and Jumbur like this.
  3. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Thank you, I haven't heard of vmplayer before. I might try it out, It might save me from googling 15 year old cracks.

e_mulator is a banned word, because DBG wrongly assumes that the word is only used in the context of exploiting in everquest. :rolleyes:
  4. RangerDave Lorekeeper

This is honestly the most exciting news I've read about EQ in a decade. I couldn't explain the technical significance of the change from 32-bit to 64-bit if my life depended on it, but I do know it's a major undertaking and thus represents a real investment in the future of EQ. So this, more than any new expansion, TLP Server, novelty add-on feature, or happy happy marketing promises, sends a clear signal that Darkpaw has a genuine continued commitment to the game. And that is definitely something to celebrate!
  5. Bummak Journeyman

The 4GBs of RAM is what's required for EQ, not Windows. EQ has a lower threshold than Windows.
  6. Bummak Journeyman

Not necessarily, I can run multiple copies of EQ in Fullscreen on one computer, and use Alt+Tab to bounce back and forth. I have seldom had an issue
  7. rgamer920 New Member

Help from any super techies. So I use some crappy boxes for the true-box code. Curious if I am going to have to replace them or not. Anybody have any insight? From userbenchmark.com it looks like the processor is better then system min however it appears graphics are not?

Celeron N4100 1.1 Ghz, Intel UHD 600 Integrated graphics, 4 GB RAM
  8. Zanarnar Augur

Good news is that is a 64-bit CPU; and the integrated gpu.. well its not that good but since you can run it now, nothing should change there. IF you have a 64-bit OS on that thing, then your already good to go; if not then between now and the change-over; you will want to wipe it and install a 64 bit version of windows. (no worries, you can download that from microsoft and install it, even if your license was for 32 bit; and these days they will let you use almost any license key to activate Win10. So you shouldn't even have to spend any money.)
  9. Hamshire Augur

The last two patches they did big changes in both.
    1. Changed how the VT key works, having the shards have a chance to drop off trash.
    2. Making it so live has access to Agent of Changes.

Both of these big changes came in broken, the VT key was unable to be completed until another patch fixed it and the Agent of Changes where not counting players as flagged even in Agents that shouldn't require a flag having them be broken as well until another patch.

The worst of it all is that it feels like that these changes got implemented and then not even tested to see if they worked before being pushed to live. My point with this is that I fear that the same thing will happen with the 64-bit change, they will implement it, do little to no testing, push it, then the game will be broken and or down for a week while they undo the change.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They are planning on testing 64 bit during the current beta and having it on test for a month prior to launching so it will get tested.
    Shindius likes this.
  11. Mhystwalker Journeyman

An hence forth shall we be delivered from Dark Ages past! Open thine arms to the almighty cry of freedom and rejoice!
    Finally. Great work guys!
    :)
    Juicewrld likes this.
  12. Nennius Curmudgeon

And lo, Brell Serilis looked down on Norrath and smiled.
    Juicewrld and Nightmares like this.
  13. silent93 New Member

I'm pretty sure this is actually birthed of the fear of crashes and obsolescence and stagnation.

Thank you, oh Faceless Lord, for motivating progress.
  14. silent93 New Member

I'm pretty sure this is actually birthed of the fear of crashes and obsolescence and stagnation.

Thank you, oh Faceless Lord, for motivating progress.
  15. Mossaa Augur

Better get 64bits live and sort any issues if some happen. Can never test any stuff 100%. That does not happen any other place in the world. I soo look forward to 64bit and all the modern changes that will bring into EQ.
    Juicewrld, Shindius and Skuz like this.
  16. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

No it is birthed of the appetite for war!

Rallos has never been satisfied with old outdated technology, it is war that drives progress, that drives scientists & gnomes to create better ways to kill our foes and engineer more efficient ways to crush our enemies, war is the father of progress.

Killing in 64 bits will be glorious, all hail Rallos Zek! Death to halflings!
  17. Nennius Curmudgeon

And once again, we dwarves will be compelled to clean up the mess. All praise be to Brell.
    Juicewrld likes this.
  18. Barton The Mischievous

Lols

Loading screen of the 64 bit update patch
    Bristlebane was Here
    Happy Updatinz and crashingz :)
  19. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

/em hands Nennius the dustpan & brush
  20. leaola Journeyman

I am hoping for the April fools graphics option. everyone was stick figures and there was no lag anywhere. PLEASE let that be an option. on fat ogres blocking the view on raids.
    Nennius likes this.
  21. Rumm New Member

Perhaps entice more people to do beta by offering things from old beta programs. Siren merc anyone?