64-Bit Servers and Clients Arriving Soon!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Accendo, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Enigma Maitreya Augur

If you go back to the Anti-monopoly suit brought by the U.S. Department of Justice vs Microsoft, it became clear there was to much money involved by the, then, largest Tech Giant company. Microsoft was egregious in their behavior during the trial. An example photo-shopping an app out of images, in the conference room in the court and then stating the app in question was not a problem and could be removed, by the prosecutor. As just one example.

The judge found Microsoft Guilty and decided they should be split into an App Software Company and a Operating System Company. My opinion is this was the correct solution and would have enabled Linux and Windows to merge and become open source.

Sadly the DoJ did NOT expect this, removed the judge, appointed a different judge that vacated the first judges solution and asked Microsoft to promise to behave :) end of trial.

Even now, Microsoft desperately tries to break VMWare but VMWare to date has isolated their customers clients Machines and "fixes" the problem.

In my opinion, all of this is going to change anyway. This will have challenge Daybreak's policy. IF I WERE them I would review their policy now and get ahead of the change.

As CPU's, Memory, Storage and Internet speeds evolve, it is reasonable to assume that the Current Cloud offerings of "Cloud Based, Tailored, Virtual Machines" will be competitive to cheaper than devices that have the OS running them. I.E. Desktops, LapTops, Game Box's, Phones etc.
    Leerah likes this.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And I am talking about the EU which is actually carrying through with major fines against Microsoft. Unless they plan on making a version for the EU and one for the rest of the world they will have issues pulling off what you are talking about. It is likely the EU hasn't taken action against Windows 11 yet because it hasn't been released publicly yet.

There is no reason to try and disprove what the EU is forcing Microsoft to do by claiming what is happening in other parts of the world.
    Wdor and Jumbur like this.
  3. Enigma Maitreya Augur

IF I came off as though the EU and NOT U.S.A. countries were doing something then let me clear it up.

I was saying the USA got in bed with Microsoft and no one should expect any relief from the USA on this and probably any of the current Tech Giants. We the people have been sold out.
    Leerah likes this.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And you are still missing my point that there are sections of the world that are fighting to keep Microsoft from doing that. Microsoft will either need to abandon the EU, make an EU only version to follow the rules or just follow the EU's rules world wide. Even with as much money as Microsoft is paying I am sure questions will be asked that are hard to answer if there is an EU only version that lets users use non Microsoft software.

Besides a thread on EQ going 64 bit isn't the place to discuss Microsoft's business practices.
    Treage_Imminent and Wdor like this.
  5. Wdor Thief, Assassin, Purveyor of Fine Poisons

MY 12+ year old one is.
    Thunderkiks likes this.
  6. Thunderkiks Augur

I true box my 6 accts and my oldest is from 2007 and it has 64 bit =)
    Leerah likes this.
  7. Jumbur Improved Familiar

To get a 32bit computer for the last 10 years, you had to specifically choose a strictly non-gaming computer. People who did that for playing everquest, were gambling on the system requirements to stay static forever, despite Daybreak officially stating for years:
    "Running on a toaster" has never been an explicitly stated goal for Daybreak.

The system requirements will change again in the future, unless they sunset Everquest. That is a direct result of the "continued support", that our subscriptions pays for. :)

You have been warned...
    Juicewrld and Leerah like this.
  8. Leerah Augur

9. Dali LB New Member

They most likely can't do that, since Edge is based on Chrome code, which they must have payed something for.
  10. Leerah Augur

Waring and Wdor have Stockholm Syndrome.

11. Svann2 The Magnificent

I dont see how they could do that, and the article didnt explain it. CPU's arent auto-updating now, are they? Ive always had to go somewhere and manually download it afaik. How would they reach out and disable dx12?

edit: or are they really just talking about new purchases?
  12. Numiko Augur

This thread reminds me of when they went to Direct X 7 (?) and told everyone you had to get at least 512megs of ram! oh my the gnashing of teeth!!

Looks like last CPU for desktops that was a 32 bit was a Pentium 4 from 2002.

Of course as others have said they do still make 32 bit CPU's for other applications but these were never meant to be used to play modern games on.
    Juicewrld and Treage_Imminent like this.
  13. Keella Journeyman

I read the whole article and it's basically how MS are addressing a vulnerability in Intel onboard Graphics on those 4th gen CPU's - if you have a dedicated add-in graphics card you will not have an issue and if you don't then adding one will circumvent the issue.
    Juicewrld and Leerah like this.
  14. Iven Antonius Bayle

EQ has alot old user at an old age who still use alot 32 bit software. Is it worth to change the OS to 64 bit just for a single game ? For addicts the answer is yes, but for alot casual players the answer is no. The timing is also more than unlucky now so close to the next expansion release, christmas and Windows 11. But its not my problem as there are so many other things to do beside EQ.
  15. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

It is something the kids can buy you for Christmas! They never know what to get anyway. :)
    Juicewrld and Iven like this.
  16. Iven Antonius Bayle

:D Its not a problem to me to get a 64 bit OS, actually I already have a few and I am just foraging another one. But will I reboot just to play EQ ? No.
  17. Mossaa Augur

Not sure anyone care. Play EQ or not, its up to you. Guess its free to play toons anyway
    Shindius likes this.
  18. Cannikin Elder

32-bit software runs perfectly fine on 64-bit operating systems, so that is not a reason to stay on a 32-bit OS.

According to the Steam hardware survey, the share of gamers with 32-bit operating systems is a whopping 0.31%, so no, there are not a lot of players, casual or not, that run 32-bit OS's.

The industry has already determined 32-bit to be obsolete. Microsoft has ended 32-bit versions with Windows 11, and Apple has made macOS 64-bit only for a decade now. Pretty much every single prebuilt desktop and laptop sold in stores since Windows 7 has been 64-bit. To be still running 32-bit anything today, you would have to be clinging to a 13+ year old machine that would probably struggle to run a modern web browser, let alone a game, or deliberately installing a 32-bit OS from scratch.
  19. Iven Antonius Bayle

This has nothing to do with EQ gamers. I would like to see the statistic from DBG regarding EQ but it does not really matter. Regarding 13 year old machines, they have absolutely no problem with modern web browsers when they have enough RAM installed.

Your kind of logic does also mean that there is no need to update EQ to 64-bit as 32-bit software does run even more perfectly fine on a 32-bit OS. So that is not a reason to change to a 64-bit OS but I know that there are other reasons. I do not have a problem with that at all but with the methods how this is getting enforced by DBG. Its the same ruthless bull**** than just one or two years ago when the support for Win XP got cancelled nearly abruptly.
  20. Velisaris_MS Augur

Normally, in debates like this where the response is typically "just upgrade to X" or "just buy a new Y", my response would be something like "you kids better get off my lawn!"

But in this case, yeah, just go buy a new computer/hardware that supports 64 bit. Unless you're using a machine like that for nothing but a file server/storage, it's time to join the modern age.