64-Bit Servers and Clients Arriving Soon!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Accendo, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

+3 subscriptions and ToL pre-order sales from me. Seeing commitment to the back end of EQ makes me happy.
    Juicewrld, Shindius, Wdor and 5 others like this.
  2. Alcarion New Member

Great news.
    If this leads to updating the art graphics to the 21st century, then I can finally convince the rest of my Gaming Clan to come over to EQ. They refuse based on the current art.

Alc
    Treage_Imminent likes this.
  3. Catashe Augur

One thing at a time... I'm skeptical they can move to 64bit smoothly considering past things they tried to do! lol
  4. Dropfast Augur

Yes...Yes... Yasss! Can't wait for this and all the possible upgrades to so many things.... The Baz plat limit, number of items we can sell, buff slots, number of bag slots that can displayed at once, LAG - with like everything... from Parcel, to buying stuff from baz, Zoning, loading, >>RAID LAG<< , ect.

Trying not to count my chickens before they hatch but this is pretty huge and I can't wait. Love you long time Devs!
  5. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

6. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Microsoft ending support for windows 10 in 4 years is hardly a surprise. The only spyware in Windows is the ones that you proactively authorize. You don't have register anything. The only "hardware restrictions" are ones that can be worked around. Windows 11 is going to be another Vista, And by the time Windows 10 support actually ends (expect its EoL to be pushed back a la Win 7's) Windows 12 will be on the horizon with the same basic requirements as 11 and at that point those req will be ubiquitous. The real issue with Win11 all comes down to TPM 2.0 being used, that is what drives all of the main annoying requirements. By 2025, TPM 2.0 will be more than a decade old and there will be next to zero systems without it. The windows home requirements will end up getting dropped in the end, as they cannot really hold up to legal scrutiny.
    Keella likes this.
  7. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

The min req with regard to the GPUs are, in all reality, just there to future proof it for a bit. Additionally, It is highly unlikely that anyone is still using a GPU with that little memory.

256mb honestly, is not going to do any better with "higher resolution art" than the 128mb GPUs would. The If you have either of them, spend $10-$15 and get a 1+ GB video card for your system.

At some point yes this is true, but 99.9% of people zoning has 100% to do with the person having something lacking with their system. Not enough memory, still using a(n old) HDD rather than a SSD, a crap CPU, or a crap GPU; any one of those can make you zone slow.
    Jumbur and Keella like this.
  8. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

What are your "traveling laptops?" Why do you think it will cost $200 to upgrade them?

Is your Linux install not 64-bit? I would assume that there are several other 64-bit only games that work with Wine. I think that you're getting ahead of yourself.
  9. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

No, unless you think they are going to be putting a few million into EQ sometime soon.
  10. Cannikin Elder

$130 for a GT 710? I'd call that a pretty big ripoff. You can get brand new 710s on Amazon right now for ~$60 (though I don't know what the prices were like when you were looking a few months ago). I see a GT 1030 on sale on Amazon for $110 if you were willing to spend that much, and that would be around 3x faster than a 710 (which is still not good mind you).

I would not advise anyone to get a 710 ever. It was already pretty much bottom of the barrel back when it was released many years ago, and today it is almost certainly the absolute worst GPU you can buy new. Even integrated graphics in a modern CPU are vastly more powerful, and your average smartphone has probably an order of magnitude more graphics power.

Literally the only reason 710s still exist on the market is for companies who need the absolute cheapest possible display output for number crunching systems that have no integrated graphics (dedicated server/workstation CPUs often don't) and will never be used for any kind of graphics processing.
    Shindius likes this.
  11. Jumbur Improved Familiar

That is probably correct, a lot of computer-setups are not "balanced" well when it comes to bottlenecks.
    As a general rule, If you want a good reasonable priced system with good performance, then make sure that it is properly balanced. No reason to buy one expensive component, if it is held back by other cheap components.

And as you said 256mb video ram is nothing. My impression is that those minimum requirements are very silly any anachronistic. I doubt there ever existed a 256mb GPU that would fit into a 64bit capable motherboard... or that such a GPU would have functional win7-64bit driver-support. :rolleyes:
    Treage_Imminent likes this.
  12. AB_H'Sishi Augur

We get one month on Beta for testing; eventually at least one month on Test and "in the early 2022" the upgrade on Live.

You can force EQ already to use more than one CPU core. Search for "CPUAffinity...=..." in your EQClient.ini.
    "0" before "=" refers to the first running EQ instance, a "1" indicates 2nd instance and so on.
    "0" after "=" means only the first core is used, "1" the second core only and so on. "-1" means all available cores will be used.

If there is no line starting with "CPUAffinity" you can add one: "CPUAffinity0=-1" will force your EQ client using all cores.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare, Wdor and Metanis like this.
  13. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I thought that was just a setting to force multiple clients to use different cores, when multi-boxing?
    I think EQ is limited to one core per client.
    Shindius and MasterMagnus like this.
  14. Mossaa Augur

We will see 64 bit server/client on Monday. So get ready to upgrade if you have old stuff or be left behind. There is plenty new gamers that want better graphics and 64 bits server/client. I would also guess that the ones that love EQ will get hardware that supports 64 bits and love it in not so long time.
  15. Reisender Journeyman

I am glad that there will be an upgrade to 64bit...
  16. Enigma Maitreya Augur

My thought's are this is more likely to be true than false.

BUT, my testing of W11.Pr0.x64 to date suggest your statement is more likely to be false than true.

I do not in any sense of the word ... trust ... Microsoft with anything. I am far more concerned that this early W11 is more likely to be a "Trojan Horse" for a more restrictive update later on.

Want to make Chrome your Default Browser(just an example)? What was once a 1 click process is now, in W11, a need to switch every type that is associated with a Web Browser to Chrome and as far as I am seeing is even doing that, their NOT Edge updates can change those setting without notification.

I think the crowd at Microsoft that thinks a Desktop is really a phone/tablet (ala Windows 8) is back trying force the square peg's that are Desktops into the round peg's holes that are NOT Desktop's. At this level I feel more confident this will have a non zero and significant impact on the Operating Sales/Incomes producing possibly a W11.1.

I am not clear why they think Desktop's are not real. But, to me it is clear, they think the Desktop is not real, cater to the gamebox, tablet, phone, then hit the same brick wall they always hit and decide they need to change course.

TPM so far has NOT manifested any of the things I figured might go wrong. So far it has NOT been a problem.

All of my testing todate has been on VMWare Machines and Hyper-V Machines.
    Metanis and Jumbur like this.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

As much as I would like to agree with that the EU has been hitting Microsoft with fines recently to prevent such actions. I would guess if they start trying to force edge or other things again in Windows 11 they will face major fines yet again.
  18. Jumbur Improved Familiar

"Rethinking the desktop" is so hot right now! :rolleyes:

They live in their own little tech-bubble, where everyone is wearing 4 pounds of "wearable gizmos plugged into internet-of-things". They will eventually learn their lesson... and forget it again...:p
    Juicewrld likes this.
  19. JeffHanson Augur

This is the company that has not been able to get frickin' Overseer working correctly after two years.

This event is popcorn-worthy.
  20. Svann2 The Magnificent

Even my 8+ year old laptop is 64 bit.
    Shindius, Thunderkiks and Wdor like this.