Revisiting Dono's Solution to Loot Randomization

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Dono27, Sep 16, 2021.

1. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Everquest has always had tiers and the intention of this server was never to be able to get the best raid loot in an expansion from the entry set of raids. Small groups do have access to all the content even if they might have to team up with other guilds of similar sizes to complete it.
    Duder likes this.
  2. Machen New Member

Once you have beaten the content once, you are gearing for the next expansion. That's always been the formula in EQ.
    Duder likes this.
  3. Dono27 Journeyman

I really appreciate your feedback and insight, and I think I understand what you are saying.

Mobs are placed into buckets, as opposed to items in buckets. Each mob can only drop loot from their assigned bucket. Each mob can only be assigned one bucket.

So Avatar of War is placed into a bucket, and can only be in one bucket, as opposed to Blade of Carnage being directly placed into one or more buckets.

At the same time, Lodizal can only drop loot from his assigned bucket, and Lodizal can't drop loot from more than one bucket.
    Skuz likes this.
  4. Captain Video Augur

You do realize that if you kill a mob enough times, it will kick the bucket.
    Yinla and Dono27 like this.
  5. coltongrundy Augur

:rolleyes: stay in your lane.
  6. coltongrundy Augur

No. The goal of these servers is to generate krono sales.
  7. Senthin1 Journeyman

This is 100% right. I just went through 5 pages of this thread and no one mentioned the actual problem. TLPs exist for two reasons
    1: To make krono
    2: To experience/re-experience old content

A large amount of top-end raiders want as much exclusivity on tier 1 loot to drive up prices. The more obtainable loot is, the less valuable it is. This is the only argument. Otherwise this devolves into similar arguments of "What loot my guild gets in a DZ has no bearing on you at all, so why are you trying to restrict the gear?"
    Krono. The answer is krono.
  8. Dono27 Journeyman

I have intentionally refrained from comment on the subejct of krono, and I have appreciated that this thread had for a while, because it seems almost every other thread devolves into the same argument. One group of people will allege that its all about catering to krono framers, and the other side will allege that the first group just wants handouts, automatic levels, and equipment dispensers.

I have played EQ from 99-2011 and now in my return to Thornblade. I have played in both small guilds and large guilds. I have done both on Thornblade, and I am currently in a fairly large guild on Thornblade that is doing end game content. I think both types of guilds have their own pros and cons.

In this thread, I have seen users whom I reasonably believe to be in large guilds support the idea and others who disagree with the idea, or agree with it to a limited extent.

I guess that I am writing now to say that I hope that this thread doesn't devolve into the same old mudslinging, strawmanning arguments. I am thankful that Ngreth commented on the idea. I am not a programmer, but I can try to understand and appreciate his explanation. While I would still love to see it implemented, I think I can accept that it probably isn't all about the krono if it isn't immediately implemented.

I do think that in the current system, broader buckets are the way to go; yet I know how much I will hate it if/when utter crap drops at the end of a VT raid. I will remain hopeful that a version of my proposal could still be implemented in the future: loot floors, good; loot ceilings, not good.
    Neceros likes this.
  9. Senthin1 Journeyman

FWIW i like your idea and support it, but to ignore a very real factor in why certain individuals don't want loot more available means you aren't able to have the full conversation about a loot change. The majority of opposition you'll run into are people who want prices to stay as high as possible to make money.
    Dono27 likes this.