Suggestion: Update Mage Pet Graphics

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Scornn, Oct 1, 2021.

1. Scornn Elder

Hello all! As the title says my suggestion is purely related to the graphics on our mage pet companions. Now I know we already have two different models to choose from, and that they were once updated long ago!

However, EQ has been around for over two decades.. It is hard pressed to update the graphics for existing character models which I totally understand. But mage pets could use the recycled models that already exist in Crystallos!

Now this doesn't even need to be a client side change, implementation of items that would allow your pets to take that form, or incorporate it into the pet focus lines kind of similar to the Necromancer Specter changing to a Zombie when you have a high enough focus.

As a Necro that just achieved that change it really does add another level of immersion into the game and your own character. Casters don't get a lot in the way of fancy weapon graphics and cool abilities, I think it's high time to give them a few extra toys to play with!

A few pictures of the models I am proposing taken from Allah, have been hard pressed to find a picture of the Earth Elemental but I may resort to running in and getting a picture myself for that;

- Fire Elemental -

[IMG]

- Air Elemental -

[IMG]

- Water Elemental -

[IMG]

(all above pictures are courtesy of https://everquest.allakhazam.com/)

- Earth Elemental -

[IMG]
    Allworth likes this.
  2. Tweakfour17 Augur

I think it has something to do with models being loaded into a global file (so basically always loaded) vs specific zones? More stuff loaded globally = more lag? Someone with more knowledge of this will likely come along but I think that was the issue with some AoC on live looking like Dougs because the shadow robe model wasn't "global".
  3. Machen New Member

Yes, correct, but... They keep finding a way to add more illusions for the DPG store.

Maybe the op should suggest pet illusion clicks on the dpg store with these models. Seems DPG is more likely to go for it if they can monetize it.
  4. Zanarnar Augur

I believe that newer models can be loaded "on demand" where the older ones are only in the global or zone load files. (at least that is what I infer from Ngreth's post on the fairy illusion in the new crate) So it sounds like it would be easier for them to update to very recent elemental models then it would to use something from a long time ago.

So.. who knows but my honest guess is no chance due to none of them having any time, or interest, in making this change.
  5. Tweakfour17 Augur

I wonder if thats the case if it might be more efficient to change the models? Remove the old models from global and have them be on demand sounds like it would use less resources if there was no mage pet in the zone, no?
  6. YourJobNotYourLife Elder

I think those models look pretty meh, personally.
    Wyre Wintermute likes this.
  7. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Superior models:

Fire Elemental:
    [IMG]

Water Elemental and Air Elemental:
    [IMG]

Earth Elemental:
    [IMG]

The p99 HD reskin project ones look pretty good:
    [IMG]

Never really was a big fan of the Luclin floating torso models.
  8. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

There you go

Edit: changed to a better quality version
    Scornn likes this.
  9. Zanarnar Augur

if you ask me, the p99 reskin looks the best out of anything posted here so far.
    Wyre Wintermute likes this.
  10. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

I just feel that that general model has a more "Conjured mass of elemental power" than the more "sentient" Luclin + models... and they're all equal, not 3 being floating toso's + one full elemental.

It would also make it MUCH easier for the Dev team to "reskin" that model with various textures for flavor. I mean, The recent Velious xpacs could have textured them and added come crystalline aspects, or something indicative of coming from Velious. With Luclin coming they could add similar aspects, maybe the Earth or Fire elemental having a grey texture similar to "The Grey" Air elemental could be darker instead of a more white fog look, etc..
  11. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Models?

Surely Magicians want a Pet Tab on their character (like the Mercenary tab) so they can view/manage pet stats/equipment first?

Personally when I have played Mage I preferred the Luclin model over the classic models, but each to their own.
    This is not a "soandso is qualitatively better" argument it's just an argument over visual preference and those are always entirely pointless, people like different things, deal with it.

Maybe the ideal would be that pets only use the classic model in classic zones, the luclin model in luclin and higher zones and the pet 3.0 graphics are used in the expansion that gets us a 64 bit client with better graphics engine / new player models too :p

I think the artists can do better than Crystallos Elements for Mage pets though.

Oh and make a working crocodile model warder so Trolls can have crocodile pets back, even if not the original model.
  12. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

I really don't like either the original or the Luclin models that much. So I use the Metamorph Wand - Bixie Drone for both my mages. I even have GINA tell me when it needs to be refreshed. I love my bixie girl attack.
  13. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

I think it would be best to tie it to the pet window itself. Because everything goes away if the pet dies/poofs, it would probably also be easier to code it all in there rather than PC inventory checks etc..

My personal preference aside, I still believe the older "form" of elemental model would be much easier for development to do a quick reskin to. Definitely much easier and cheaper than asking for whole new models to be fleshed out. You can get a texture ready and reskin the "blob-type" models with relative ease. Logistically, it would just be the better option for a long-term pet model with "unique" graphics that get more regular updates. They could take those TBS era models from OP and make morph wand clickies easy enough. Add them to the Cauldron of many things line of spells as a permanent item just for mages.

The Dev's accept your request... Troll beastlords now have ugly fat PoP "gators" with worse looks, hit box, and animations than basilisks! :p
  14. JohnnyBgood Lorekeeper

Please dont
  15. Jhinx Whimsical Chinchilla

Aesthetics are personal. I mean, some people use the original models over Luclin :eek:

The OP is right that we need some more options to freshen things up. In the interest in keeping all sides content, would it be possible to add a series of the "Form of...." illusion spells with a longer duration for all pet classes?

Form of Rotting Flesh: https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spell.html?spell=9991

p.s. Perhaps a dropdown menu on the pet window rather than yet another AA to track or spell to find after your pet eats the dust