Loot lockout is dumb.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Dandamek, Sep 29, 2021.

1. Dandamek Lorekeeper

Why is Everquest limiting the number of times in a given week someone can raid a specific zone/mob? Loot lockout is limiting people from getting uber loot, what's wrong with that?
  2. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Because there’s a monthly subscription fee.
  3. Dandamek Lorekeeper

Yeah, so? What does that have to do with anything? Give people a chance to get nice loot. Everquest should NOT be limiting that.
  4. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

loot lockout on what? Instanced content? Sure.. they can remove all AoC's, get rid of instances.. make everything open world like back in 1999/200 That will make the loot flow to everyone!
    Dono27, Duder and Yinla like this.
  5. Kumiko_Lockjaw Elder

Whats wrong with you?
    Wanna get uber?
    Need only one skill in EQ. And that skill is patience
    Felrane and Appren like this.
  6. Velisaris_MS Augur

Raids, like everything in our society now, are "on demand". There has to be some sort of limit system in place.

Unless you want everything to go back to "open world/call guild members on the bat phone in the middle of the night when a target pops". I'm sure the 20-somethings from 1999 that are now 40-somethings, have a full time job, multiple kids, a mortgage, student and credit card debt, and barely get any sleep as is would absolutely love that.
  7. Risiko Augur

At first when I read this, I thought you was kidding, but apparently you are serious.

Do you not realize that if there was no lockout, we would do the same instances over and over on day one until there was no need to even login until the next expansion unlocks?

It would be loot pinata on on steroids if we were able to do instances repeatedly with no delay.
    Dono27 and Yinla like this.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Not to mention the strain on the servers when a new expansion launched from everyone doing instances over and over again until they got everything they wanted.
    Yinla likes this.
  9. Abundant Elder

10. Zanarnar Augur

Well based on this thread, I'm assuming this is your first MMO. Welcome. This is basically the norm for how the end-game raids operate. For another example see WoW, or FFXIV, ESO, or any number of other online MMOs.

Us as players can be pretty hard-core and rip through content... this is their way to pump the breaks a bit and keep us interested while they develop new content. You'll get use to it.
  11. Anduven Journeyman

Why bother with loot at all?

Just put everything on a vendor for free so you can deck out your character instantly.

Your logic is bad and you should feel bad.
  12. malaki Augur

Sure, lets just have everyone be done with an expansion and have the server be a ghost town less than a week into each expansion instead of it taking a month or so.
  13. Green_Mage Augur

Well you saw how big of an impact the recent changes made on the EQ economy. I would say its in a pretty good place. Normal players are rewarded pretty well in the game just for playing a reasonable amount.

What you're suggesting would flood the economy with many more top end items...I'm not sure if it would be good at that point. I mean if you keep going that direction, you land on solo items being similar to raid items -- like modern WoW.

People probably don't like this concept, but there is also something to be said for the game not encouraging extremely hardcore powergaming. The lockouts mean there isn't pressure to raid every night -- and to just pick 2-4 nights a week.

Meanwhile, the open world is there for the hardcore.
  14. Gheed Is not reading your response

Wow this might be one of the worst takes I have read in a long time
    Dono27 likes this.
  15. Tyranthraxus Grognard

I Thought they already did that with Mischief/Thornblade :D

Dammit I pay for this game, I demand a heroic character immediately! Best in slot yesterday, or I quit!
  16. Auedar4lyfe New Member

Have you played any MMO's that don't have a gating mechanic of some sort?

The one MMO that I played that didn't have it at launch was Age of Conan. There was two "competitive" guilds on the server, and we were both able to reach max level for a full raid force by the end of the 2nd week after launch. There wasn't any lockouts on any of the raids at the start of launch. You could go in and complete a raid encounter within 15-20 minutes once you had the encounter memorized. You would get 3-5 pieces of gear per drop. In the end, BOTH guilds just ended up farming the easiest encounter since all loot was shared between bosses of the same tier.

As soon as someone had a full set of raid gear they would basically quit the game/stop playing. The amount of bleed/attrition we had in that game was insane, where we had to recruit 3-5 new people each week to field a full force of 24 people.

They added lockouts to the raid encounters soon after launch.

Players who are "hardcore" will ALWAYS follow the path of least resistance to be the "best". Even if it isn't fun, which is the entire point of playing a game to begin with. You feel like you are forced to play that way, otherwise you can't compete, or that the other guild/person will do it first and it will put you at a disadvantage. Which is why people will complain while continuing to do the action which they complain is "unfun".

So game developers have to understand that concept and work around it. If you created an MMO where the best exp was to never leave the starter zone and grind level 1 bats, there would be players that would do just that versus experience the rest of the game, since some people hold a mentality that a game is only "fun" at endgame. And when there is no endgame/the endgame is shallow, like most MMOs, and it's just a treadmill of the same content, over and over, you need to have incentives to keep doing so, versus sprinting to the end and getting off.

It's actually relatively similar to creating social systems as well in real life, and how to adjust pay/benefits/punishments in order to funnel people into doing desired actions. It's a super interesting field if you actually would like to sit down and discuss it sometime.
  17. Knifen Augur

I dont mind the loot lockouts, but hate the task lockouts. I enjoy running old missions / Smoke Trails for ach for other folks. Would like to be able to run them back to back just for ach or fun, dont care about the loot.
  18. coltongrundy Augur

I agree with what you actually said, but not with what you think you said. Loot lockout is dumb. lockouts on specific raid targets is not. What's the difference? Loot lockout applies to all trash mobs zone-wide. If it takes 2 nights to fully clear something, the 2nd night you won't get any of the random trash loot you would normally get: plat, gems, tradeskill items like oylic vial parts, regrua claws, etc.
    Dono27 likes this.