Zieri's EQ Question of the Week! #4

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Zieri, Sep 27, 2021.

1. Zieri Content Designer

Hey all you cool Shir and Kerrans! :cool:

New week, another question!

What's your favorite faction in the game?

I'd love to know, even if it's super obscure and one you can never raise very far.

I look forward to hearing your responses!
  2. Nennius Curmudgeon

3. Sissruukk Rogue One

Miner's Guild 628
    Zieri likes this.
  4. HeatherPurrs Augur

This is a really deep question or a silly one.
    I don't recall the name of the factions as it was so long ago but I believe I had to kill Kabolds forever to get in to, Euridian or was it Painel.
    Zieri likes this.
  5. Tucoh Augur

Coldain. The faction system in Velious was amazing in its time and generally unattempted in MMOs afterward. A faction system that locks you out huge parts of endgame content while letting you kill otherwise friendly NPCs brings a living, breathing world together. I picked Coldain just because they were the underdogs, sandwiched between two powers with immense natural advantages, but persevered with grit, strategy and one of the best quest lines in any game ever made.
    Zieri likes this.
  6. Act of Valor The Newest Member

As a human paladin, I've gotta say that Deepwater Knights is slightly ahead of Knights of Truth. I'm loyal to my own faction, but Inte Akera needs to like you a lot if you want the Fiery Avenger!
    Zieri likes this.
  7. Froglok Augur

Unfortunately, it has been revealed that the Faction window does NOT include all factions, so maybe address that? It 100% should.

As for the factions, in the Plane of Sky it is is 100% a good idea to stay on the good side of the NPC's in the "Quest Room." Kill them and there is no way (with out Dev intervention) to get back on their good side.
    Zieri likes this.
  8. ZenMaster formless, shapeless

I love the 4 Jann factions: Servants of Aalishai (Efreeti), Servants of Loruella (Ondine), Servants of Mearatas (Duende), and Servants of Esianti (Djinn).
    Zieri likes this.
  9. Windance Augur

Does "Wife Faction" count ?
  10. demi Augur

they should actually put that in the /faction window as a joke but would be kewl lol
    Zieri likes this.
  11. Verily Tjark Augur

Ak'Anon Strike Force V for life!
    Gyurika Godofwar and Zieri like this.
  12. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Velious factions, but that was ruined with ToV. No idea why giants who hate me would want my assistance or even think I would want to help them. :rolleyes:
    Zieri and Sissruukk like this.
  13. Nniki Augur

I don't know about favorite, but the entity behind the Opal Darkbriar faction is pretty interesting. Her backstory was supposedly mentioned in one of the RPG books, and it sounds like she got some further attention in EQ2 as well.

I always thought it was a nice touch that Solusek, Clan RunnyEye, and Chardok had merchants that you could raise your faction with and use. Didn't seem like the idea was totally expanded upon, but it would have been neat to have more benefit out of aligning yourself with non-player-race factions along the lines of the Chardok quests. I personally loved Chardok.

And here are just some things I noted while trying to raise some old factions that might be of interest...

Citizen factions are kind of weird. It seems to me like much more could have been done with them in the way of quests. Kaladim Citizens can be lowered but not increased afaik, and all of the NPCs on the faction are located outside of Kaladim. Erudite Citizens is made up of only three people, two being relatives inside Erudin and then another guy in Qeynos. The gypsies around Norrath seem like they might be tied to the Qeynos Citizens faction despite not giving any hits/adjustments, but I don't know that there's any backstory there. Raising Erudin and Qeynos citizen factions is fairly tedious too. Citizens of Freeport is an oddity since quests that adjust it (and significantly at that) were added with PoR, but I don't think it has any real relevance in and of itself.

Merchants of Oggok is the only merchants faction that can't be adjusted any longer afaik. Grobb Merchants isn't much better though with a single extermination task available to adjust faction by +1. It's also odd that the names of the Grobb and Kelethin factions are the only ones that are arranged "[City] Merchants" instead of "Merchants of [City]" out of the classic merchant factions. Freeport and Neriak merchants have unique names: Coalition of Tradefolk and Dark Bargainers.

Bankers are typically on merchant factions, but the one in Halas is actually on the rogue guild faction, Rogues of the White Rose. Merchant Nora in Felwithe, who has a step in the Druid and Ranger epic quests, oddly isn't on the Merchants of Felwithe faction and didn't seem to match up with any particular faction (listed in the faction window) when I compared against multiple characters.

The Deepmuses guild faction in Ak'Anon should actually be "Deep Muses".
    Zieri likes this.
  14. Elyssanda Bardbrain

I still Pause when I see Crushbone belts on vendors and think about what alt might need to do Kaladim turn ins..
    Stymie, Metanis and Zieri like this.
  15. Accipiter Old Timer

Can I list my least favorite faction? Omens, Dranik Loyalists. Takes forever to get enough faction for the armor quests.
    Zieri likes this.
  16. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Regular Kunark sarnak faction...was alot of work to earn at the time yielding a very sweet ring from Chardok and the ability to walk around there unmolested.
    Zieri likes this.
  17. zleski Augur

Well, as a Gnome, I have to go with Ak`Anon Strike Force V.
    Zieri likes this.
  18. Metanis Bad Company

This phrase is one of those things that began in the gaming world but has crept into the everyday culture. Two guys trundling down the aisles of any big box store in the world behind their Karen's can merely mumble it at each other in passing and both are instantly brother's in arms.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  19. Rainlover Augur

my guild joked about building wife faction during the double faction event...
    Mayong Mistmore, (currently and capped at indifferent) I kind of love that an NPC [removed NPC? as I think its just the classic that this may have applyed to ] had his own faction apart from his "Agents of Mistmore" (who hate me)

It is a faction that for whatever reason I always enjoyed seeing go up and seeing the poltics (particularly of kunark) at play.

-- I would love to see more rival factions in the future like this or what we had in SoV. I am sure I am not in the majority of this though