New EverQuest Perks

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Accendo, Sep 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duvaren New Member

Sweet. Another Jingles fan!

Here is the (not so) short version from The Mighty Jingles:

2. Duvaren New Member

Also the ability to like this comment more than merely once. ;)
    Gyurika Godofwar, RPoo and Metanis like this.
  3. Undecided_Gamer New Member

Where is the DISLIKE button?!:mad:
  4. Scila Augur

Having worked in networking/tech for much of my career ... putting resources where they are needed is key. Looking through the "bug" list and playing through lag, seeing Overseers poof then magically reappear sometimes weeks later, then new "perks" that have the potential to be problems before they are out of the gate tells me resources aren't being utilized in the right places. There are enuf bugs needing attention to keep another tier busy and satisfy the playerbase and still keep moving expansions forward without coming up with a "perk" paid something this close to expansion release imo.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I am glad you know so much more about the state of the EQ code base the their assets then the EQ code team themselves.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

[sarcasm]I am glad you are able to see how these perks might play for everyone[/sarcasm]

I think you are missing the point of call of the wild and using it to bring people back to a raid. Sure you can still get a rez and regain that lost xp but no one is going to be rezzing someone who has been called back to the raid and is currently alive, buffed and back with the raid. When you are talking about a more difficult raid even with rezzes the amount of xp you lose over a night can be a significant chunk. Or you suggesting that a guild should give up if it struggles on a raid event?

I never said it would help a guild progress faster all I said was it could help a player get an item sooner which can be important for some players. Just because you don't see value in it doesn't mean that is the case for everyone.

In game purchases are not a stable revenue flow? Why would they be spending so much time and money on making them then? Do you think they would have spent the time to develop these perks if they did not have data showing that they would make money from it?

Don't forget they have plenty of data that shows how various marketplace items make them money.

Glad that you seem to know more about the EQ player base then they do. Have you not considered that have an idea about the level/aa count of the players and know what would be useful to players?

Besides I am sure there are players who are max level/AA who would still get the xp perk in order to finish faster and help keep AA topped of for using glyphs. Sure they can max without it but they might also see it as getting done faster.

And guess what this new xp bonus stacks with all of the other bonuses. Besides if you want to talk about the costs it is cheaper than a daily cup of coffee at starbucks which depending on the player isn't worth thinking about.

Why do you think everyone wants to maintain multiple accounts and have to remember which account has what? I never said anything about the problem being how much time it is to create a new account I said it not everyone wants to create multiple alts and accounts for item storage. Besides in the long rune that is a very bad solution for dealing with the problem. It would be much better to figure out how to get rid of the need to have so many items.

[sarcasm]I am so glad you understand the revenue model for EQ and how much money they are making from various sources better then they do themselves[/sarcasm]

I understand that you don't like them and don't want them but I have seen posts about people who will get them and people talking about which ones they will get. Sure they are not for everyone but there are players who will use them and be happy with them.
  7. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

ummm.

A.You haven't seen the posts here (and elsewhere) of people that have already ported the models and textures, and connected up the animations?

B.Player Studio gave me quite a bit of insight into exactly how their models are built.

C.Extractors have been around for many years. I'm not the only one who has pulled the base files out of the pack files. This is a common thing in gaming, EQ has been around for so long, everything is known but the actual code before compile.

D.You didn't dispute what Skuz says based on "I was told", but you dispute me as if I don't know what I'm talking about? sigh...
    Gyurika Godofwar and Kalvenie like this.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Because we know that all of the previous graphics engine upgrades went so smoothly and we didn't have any bugs let alone major bugs that impacted game play after both of those upgrades?

It can be simple to port graphics to a new engine if you don't have to worry about all the underlying code that goes with the rest of the game.

Can you explain why they are not moving to upgrade the game and make it look better and possibly perform better?
  9. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

For a non-game breaking perk suggestion, how about allowing already learned TS recipes to pull items directly from bank slots, even if only in POK.
    Axel and Kalvenie like this.
  10. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Man you don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about.

The 'graphics' are more than what you understand.

The shading engine in EQ is 'Hand rolled' as we said back in the day.

Modern game development tools don't work that way. They have their own code for shading the models and textures.

The models, textures, rigging, and animations from EQ are kept, and ported.

Once you port those, you don't need any EQ graphics code. You have a whole new engine that does it the right way, supporting transparency correctly, and supporting modern day tech like Ray Tracing.

The code for 'logic' of what happens in the game is the hang up. Anyone saying otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about.

Skuz saying someone told him, doesn't say WHO, or how qualified they are to make such a statement.

What I just told you, are proven facts, already proven on EQ assets.

*edit*
    Already proven on EQ assets by people that don't work for DB or have access to any files that you don't have on your own computer. They reversed engineered it, quite easily.
    Gyurika Godofwar, Zanarnar and Leerah like this.
  11. Leerah Augur

There was never "equal footing." People with visual or motor problems, specifically. The design just worked for your strength.

I have money. It won't make up for the fact that I can't see where the mob moved to for a couple of seconds. The only thing there that would help me is the experience bonus and it should be a paid membership perk.
  12. Mediik Augur

Underwhelming to say the least. I want more content.. not this.
    Gyurika Godofwar, Axel and Scila like this.
  13. Dre. Altoholic

Putting gear in the marketplace is "selling power" on a level that I don't agree with. Let's keep this to in-game means.

I also hate the "prestige" model.
    Yinla likes this.
  14. Kalvenie Elder

The perks are not value for money, and do not offer the majorityof players anything beneficial. Despite the anedotal few posts of those who may feel they are benefit, there seem to be far more from people deriding them as irrelevant.

I'll bow, as I feel like we're becoming further detached from the reality of the situation.

But before I do...

"And guess what this new xp bonus stacks with all of the other bonuses. Besides if you want to talk about the costs it is cheaper than a daily cup of coffee at starbucks which depending on the player isn't worth thinking about."

The calculation reflects stacked and non-stacked. And guess what, the non stacked FREE 10% pots still get you there quicker... Who wants to buy a cup of coffee when you can get one for free.
  15. Derd Augur

All this talk, makes me understand why my wizard friend despises my RAF account :) bonus.
  16. Dre. Altoholic

Sounds like jealous
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Then please explain why the EQ team is not upgrading the graphics engine and graphics for EQ? If it was really so easy don't you think they would have done it by now? Being on such an old version of DirectX can't be good for performance and making newer expansions look better.
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Not value for your money maybe but everyone puts a different value on their money and for some spending $4.99 is a daily morning drink and not worth thinking about.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  19. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Wow you don't understand.

They aren't upgrading the 'graphics engine' (which isn't an engine, it's hand rolled as I told you) because that would be a stupid waste of time.

Supporting old hand rolled graphics code is stupid. It doesn't even handle transparency correctly.

They had to upgrade the DX version to keep their hand rolled crap working in Windows.

If they were using a proper modern engine, THEY don't have to handle that at all.
    Kalvenie likes this.
  20. Alchem The Judge Journeyman

The only thing that can compare to the darkness that is this game are the 'fans' sticking up for it no matter what. If a game offers you experience potions and level skips/Heroic Boosts it means they know they start of the game is terrible and no one would want to do it. They caused a problem and are now selling you the solution. Same goes for Krono. Krono are not made for the 30+ year old person with kids and two jobs logging in and wanting to play premium for a bit. That person is not spending their time farming to buy a Krono to get premium, just to farm more Kronos. Those people will pay for a sub in my experience.

These are toxic and parasitic systems not designed for functionality or player enjoyment, just money. And here you are, taking it with eyes wide shut. The systems already in play are parasitic. Take evolving items - grind, grind, for something that will be replaced in an expansion or a few expansions just to mean nothing. Don't worry if you're sentimental though and want to keep it around because you can buy more storage space.

Take a look through YT for the video where one of the ex-devs talks about EQ Next. He's under the impression it didn't go forward because no one was there to push for it. Why keep putting in work on a new game, unreleased, that had sever versions before we saw what little we saw? They were already making money with the IPs they bought. If the fact that the devs would rather not push for something new and exciting but rather opt to keep heads down and push forward with this cash cow than what else do you need to know? Challenging, I forgot that the new Next IP would be challenging as well.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.