Level and stat caps.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Evertrek, Aug 11, 2021.

1. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I don't mind others success, at whatever price it was to them.

There's always a bigger fish.

There's only one ME fish, and let's be honest, you love me don't you?
    :D
    (That's why I won the Georgie Porgie award.)
    Stymie, Skuz, Elyssanda and 1 other person like this.
  2. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

While I also get bored of "participation awards" and the lack of any real challenge which usually accompanies them, I think there is a balance to be struck.

Right now, we have all these "hardworking" "winners" at the top...and they are lonely because they have succeeded at making themselves so "great" that nobody else can join them. Maybe you aren't lonely, but your numbers are shrinking and there's only one conclusion to that road.

I think "participation" awards started because if you only celebrate winners, then 1 out of twenty people will be winners all their life. And the other 19 people are always going to be losers. Because that's what "winning" means.

Personal philosophies aside, businesses work better when they get 19 customers, not 1.
    Skuz likes this.
  3. Rauven Augur

This one thinks that because he killed 1,000,000 boars. That he did alot of hard work. :rolleyes:

B-but it took MONTHS to do that!
    Skuz and kizant like this.
  4. Tucoh Augur

Naturally enjoying a high paying profession is IRL cheat codes. Imagine if instead of enjoying smashing out code we really wanted to spend our career in history or social sciences? We'd be broke AND probably have trash DPS.
    Skuz and kizant like this.
  5. Nennius Curmudgeon

If you still have it, it wasn't really pointless. In any case, you will have to let your drawbridge down someday and actually connect with us commoners. Reminds me a bit of the huge timesink that was getting my VT key. Now it is a memory that I treasure (brought my old guild together in a great way) and most can just zone in. Should I complain loud and hard about that?
    Skuz, Ozon and kizant like this.
  6. Nennius Curmudgeon

Hold on there. I was a history major and have done quite well with it. Before I retired I had a very near six figure income as a teacher. It is possible to be successful in many different ways.
  7. Tucoh Augur

Damn it, if only history could've taught me that taking random pot shots at large swathes of people would backfire on me.
    Skuz, Ozon, Nennius and 3 others like this.
  8. kizant Augur

Or at least I wouldn't be able to make my own tools for playing better lol.
    Skuz and NameAlreadyInUse like this.
  9. Axel Furry Hats OP

How does everyone making your hard work pointless? You had a house/achievements/progression before them when it was current content. Did heroic characters suddenly make you sad because you worked so hard to get to 85? Did smartphones becoming more accessible make you sad? Did computers going from costing millions and only fitting in huge buildings to something that can fit in your pocket irritate you? Make you feel like the other people didn't properly earn it?

If at the release of next expansion everyone got max progression & gear & augs up to COV, I genuinely wouldn't care, because I did that content in era, the other people didn't. Now a ton of people are caught up and I have more people to group with, and I probably benefit a little bit from it too getting missing cheeves and stuff. If that were to happen, I'd wager that there would be enough current content to keep us engaged for a while and the content would be hard that you need that kind of gear/progression.
    Skuz, Ssdar and kizant like this.
  10. Nennius Curmudgeon

Am I the only person here who has been more grumpy lately? I sure have. Apologies if I sounded a bit too snide.
    Skuz, Yinla and kizant like this.
  11. kizant Augur

It's cool. I didn't notice.
    Skuz, NameAlreadyInUse and Svann2 like this.
  12. Flatchy Court Jester

My hard work was pointless because I didnt have to do it, I could have gotten the same reward without doing it.. I dont see what is so confusing about that. Its kind of how many people today choose to sit out work and collect the extra unemployment money instead of going and getting an actual job. Makes you wonder why there are so many places that are offering employment right now. Nobody wants to work when crap is handed out to them.

Some people like the taste of government cheese and make a life of living off of others. I had to do that as a kid in the 60s and 70s and I did not care for it one bit. It was embarrassing and I heard about it plenty in school. If that helps you figure out why I speak as I do great. If not that is fine. I am just here to give my opinion too , not change yours.
  13. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Wow, the embarrassment didn't teach you much.

If you've lived on the hard side of life and had something given to you when you needed it, I'd think you would get how important that is.

You had the benefit of owning whatever you earned BEFORE it was given to someone else.

You could think "I really enjoyed the benefit of that thing I owned". Now those people that were given the same thing can have that enjoyment too.

It LITERALLY DOES NOT TAKE ANYTHING FROM YOU. Your work was not rendered pointless.

But you want to whine, and think "people are living off of others?" Because while you were eating 'government cheese' you were living off of others? Too bad you can't put into perspective those that helped you when you needed it, and those that are being helped now that need it.

That is the most pathethic load of crap you've ever dumped here.

It's a good thing you're not trying to change anyone's opinion.
    Skuz, Ssdar, kizant and 1 other person like this.
  14. Dre. Altoholic

Maybe we get away from the thinly veiled political discussion that some are clearly not mature enough to have, and get back to talking about game mechanics.

Just leaving old content out there for new/upcoming/returning players "we did it, so can you" is a great way to keep the game's Live population dwindling. I think the solution is shortcuts to gearing so that players can bootstrap effectively rather than being carried.
  15. Evertrek Augur

agreed. how about we let dev's/marketing tell us what can and can't be done and just focus on suggestions. or maybe really why some don't want anything changed (my guess is a lot here don't even know why they post anymore).

how can Runescape and Neverwinter news be so active and EQ news and marketing is rare?
  16. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Sadly, I think the answer is that EQ's handlers believe that advertising is pointless and have all but given up on attracting new customers or updating the game. I'm pretty sure their entire business model revolves around extracting money from the existing, dwindling customer base as efficiently as possible. They are sort of in the oil business now: the existing customer base is the oil, and the game is just here long enough to take all the oil. Once the oil is gone (or too expensive to extract), the game will be abandoned.

But hey, some of us still have another 10-20 years in our game fuel tanks, right? :D
    Elyssanda, Ssdar, Axel and 1 other person like this.
  17. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I'd prefer they left things as they are and instead added new ways to bring those new/returning players up to max level if that is what they want. That way they don't mess with TLPs and those who prefer the mid level game can stay there.
    Skuz likes this.
  18. Axel Furry Hats OP

Or they could separate live from TLP code, that way they can play the same content on repeat while nerfing / exploiting 20 year old mechanics all they flipping want without having an effect on live, where people don't care to warpcharmkillsteal namers or hardware box stun PL'ing leading to nerfs across the board or using the good version of Vainglorious Shout to 1 shot whole zones and nerfing it down to only 6 targets (all bards should actively protest TLP for this, I'm still salty).

If TLP & Live were separate, then a lot more could go into making Live better and more accessible to new players without TLP disruption. It's really not that hard.
  19. Rauven Augur

They are either trolling, or so embittered that they are trying to tear down the only game they enjoy. They have a major self defeating stance.

"Everyone needs to do the hard work that I did, because its work for works sake!"

When that 'hard work' is this mind numbing grind where you grind up levels on lt blues and greens until you can get some smattering of gear to do the next area that doesn't quite two shot you, then do it again and again.

That is what people in this thread expect new players to do. Go solo with a merc and kill trivial things for minute amounts of exp and gear that they outlevel by like 20-30 levels. All because that's what they had to do.

I'm sorry but their hard work is not. Sorry its not. If you can kill a mob once, likely you can kill in 10 times. Or a 100. Or a 1,000. Or even 1,000,000 times. It doesn't mean you need to actually do that.

And then they throw this BS about how its entitlement or wanting stuff handed to us when we don't want to sit there killing trivial stuff over and over. No, some people simply don't want to wait to play actually challenging and engaging content.

There is absolutely no reason to wait to play the game. Sitting there moloing with boxes with autoattacks, autoskills, and pets attacking for hours is not playing the game. Most of these people doing these grinds aren't even at their computers. And then they want to lecture us on hard work.
    Ssdar and kizant like this.
  20. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Short cuts:

Heroic Upgrade ( & yeah we are gonna need a higher level one, with the new expansion ideally)
    Auto-Grant AA
    (AA boost is still actually in effect if anyone does want to earn the first 4k AA themselves).
    Hot-Zones (the current system is not as good as the more varied selection of zones we had before imo)

The main ingredient missing from levelling is a "Side-kick" / "Squire" / "Boost-a-noob" / "system that allows a low level player to play as an approximation of a high level one with a boosted hp/ac/mana/current spell and ability line-up", a lot of vertical progression games need a system like that & EQ is long overdue something like this, scaling down max level characters was never popular and deliberately unrewarding for them - XP nerfs in older expansions only exacerbated that and the ToV+/111+ new XP model greatly altered the equation for catching players up via conventional power-levelling techniques.

If the game gets a graphical overhaul, UI overhaul & wants to start marketing the game at a new audience - which are entirely possible things, then it really needs to address the catch-up game consistentcy and make it a more seamless process with a system that has future-proofing or low amount of maintenance required somewhat baked in to the solution.

Maybe the achievement system could just auto-reward a basic set of "T1" gear at each 5 levels after "heroic upgrade level" to x number of expansions back, when a new expansion launches the next set of T1 gear is granted, much like how the autogrant works maybe.

The itemisation side of the "catch-up equation" is somewhat inconsistent, we had defiant gear up to level 70 but after that it gets kinda messy and inconsitent.
    Most servers won't have a ton of cheap inbetween 70-104 gear available, once you get to ToV era of course you have the common dropped T1 gear in abundance, prior to that you have relatively easy to make tradeskill gears from RoS.

Part of the issue there is while server moves through content a lot of droppable stuff hits the bazaar but then it gets depleted over time, people's alts and stuff pick it up as it comes down in priice, and after an expansion or two have passed the bazaar is fairly emptied out of "tweener gear" and only the most recent expansion or two's gear is still around.