Would you play another MMO when EQ ends?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cicelee, Aug 20, 2021.

1. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Super judgemental post. Maybe, you shouldn’t be playing. Just going to wager you’re probably putting 10+ hours in a week. Plus, EQ1 wastes the most time out of any other MMO.
  2. Cicelee Augur

Wow. Is everyone so sensitive nowadays that they cannot see humor in anything?
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Skrab like this.
  3. Cuuthbert Augur

Very hard to say. I really enjoy Everquest and have not found another game I like as much. I believe that to be because of the bard class. Have not found anything a complex and as rewarding to play. Also with the amount of time in the game and the people I have gotten to know, I am not sure I would wish to start over somewhere else.

As far as playing other games highjack of this thread comparing it to marriage, beyond ridiculous, but if you like other games as well as everquest... Game on.
  4. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Ugh, you got me!
  5. Loratex The Ridiculous Necro

I played a bunch when I stopped playing eq. Eso is a far better game IMO all the way around but I do run out of content fairly quickly. I seem to get to enthralled in eso.
  6. Froglok Augur

I will never understand the lamenting over the end of EQ. There have been people doing this, I dunno, since about 5 or 6 Years into EQ? And yet EQ is still here after 22 years, so far... and will be for the foreseeable future.
  7. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

People enjoy the game and a lot of games do not keep going after so many years. Makes sense to me. I don't agree with these feelings but I have no problem understanding them.
    Skuz and Froglok like this.
  8. Rauven Augur

And you act like you randomly got the plague. Like your marriage and kids are some sort of bad luck. You chose to get your junk wet. You chose the responsibilities you have. How about not making judgements on people who haven't made the same choices. Their choices don't make them a worse person than you.

With that said, yes there's plenty of time to play other things. Live EQ is the only MMO that requires a thousand hours or more to get something done. All the others take dozens. You could pick up any other MMO and be at endgame at the end of a month. And then their version of raiding is 3-5 hours a week.

If you work 8 hours a day, 7 days a week. You sleep 8 hours. That leaves 56 for everything else. With other MMOs you still have 50 hours a week for all the other responsibilities you chose to take on.
  9. Stymie Pendragon

I had a blast using hex editing in the original Resident Evil pc game with unlimited ammo and such. There was also a way to play with the files in wow to change item appearance, mounts, and even make my character look like a raid boss if I wanted. I was the only one who could see it, but I still get a grin thinking about it. :)
  10. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

It isn't about insulting folk who do nothing much other then game in their life. It is about stating that most folks actually do have a lot of other things going on in their life and don't dedicate all their time to gaming.
  11. Rauven Augur

I doubt that. I've seen people with 6+ kids and a job be able to handle playing far more hardcore and demanding content than EQ has. If you want to be specific, some people are simply better at budgeting their time or managing their household than others.
  12. The real Sandaormo Augur

If EQ ever ends, I won't play another game with time restraints or schedules. When I first started raiding it was 7 nights a week but I had to be there for every raid, I loved it. When we started taking Friday nights off we thought it was ground breaking stuff. These days we raid 2 to 3 nights a week getting all the current raids down. Some guilds cram it into 1 night. At the moment Raids is about all I play in EQ unless someone needs help on something ( Overseer is way faster than actually killing mobs for exp to top off losses on raids, in raid AA these days is not bad at all, can top that off here and there after i use a glyph, couple events will need one now and then )

I think games like Diablo 3 or more solo rpg types is what I would stick to. Don't play for a month? no problem.
  13. The real Sandaormo Augur

14. Cannikin Elder

Not sure if you realize this, but this is a problem more specific to EQ than to gaming in general. If you're really busy IRL, EQ is possibly the worst choice of game to commit to.

The vast majority of games let you jump in, mess around for 30 minutes, quit and be satisfied you accomplished something and now have a different objective you want to target the next time you play. On the other hand, EQ is designed from the beginning as a massive time sink, requiring long, contiguous and repetitive sessions to make any sort of meaningful progress (or even to simply not fall behind), in both grouping and especially raiding.

In EQ there's not much of anything you can accomplish in 30 min. If you're real quick about getting a group together, you can burn Zlandi, distribute loot, sort out overseer, log off and look forward to doing that another hundred times or so to kit out in type 5 augs. Forget about raiding. The only thing you could possibly accomplish in 30 min (including forming a raid) is... burn Zlandi, distribute loot, log off and look forward to doing that dozens of more times.

There's a reason why the best selling games these days are those specifically designed around short sessions (e.g. shooters, multiplayer arenas, mobile games, etc.), or games in which you can spend as much or as little time as you want (e.g. Minecraft, GTA, etc.). Bonus in that the vast majority of games have one upfront cost that lets you play indefinitely, for half (or less) the price of a 1-year EQ subscription (not including buying the yearly expansion). Even more modern MMOs are noticably more friendly to casual players with RL commitments.
    Sancus, Skuz and Stymie like this.
  15. Nennius Curmudgeon

Hard to argue with this. I do know some folks who log into just to chat, but that sort of exception kind of proves the rule I think.
    Skuz likes this.
  16. Nolrog Augur

I will probably still play some kind of game, but I'm not sure if it will be another MMO. Possible if my buddy says hey let's play Guild Wars 2 on Wednesday nights or something, I will probably play. But other wise, it will likely be single player games, turn based strategy or something (like Civ VI) so I can play a bit and pause when I need to.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Skuz like this.
  17. Hythos Augur

Remember the saying, that the original expectation before the game went Live, was that players would dungeon-crawl as a group for an hour at a time... Then log out for the day.
  18. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

If EQ died tomorrow I would either just make my own private server, play one someone else's, or just not play. A game would have to blow my socks off for me to play it, but so far everything I have seen doesn't appeal to me.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  19. Bobokin Augur

Sure, but the crowd funding model that asks players to fork out $100s before a game even reaches alpha is pretty sad.
    Elyssanda and Nennius like this.
  20. demi Augur

the only other MMO i would play would be a virtual reality one or one like on a Holodeck :p but by time that ever happens i'll be long dead prolly .. :(

Make it so #1
    Engage
    Nennius likes this.