No Fix Planned Aaryonar Raid - Fiery Touch Bug

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Iribabh, Aug 15, 2021.

1. Iribabh Augur

Fiery Touch is once again being consumed when attacking things that are not "a guardian" or "Grolik". This was fixed I believe back in March. Prior to that even receiving a bard song would eat that proc. It was changed to only be consumed while attacking one of the aforementioned targets which it is a bane attack for.

Tonight we noticed that while attacking "an earthen prison" and Aaryonar himself the proc was being consumed, however the damage obviously did not apply since they are not the intended bane target. This change I believe is new as of the past two weeks, though it could be new as of the July patch and I just didn't pay that close of attention.

Edit: Confirmed March patch. '03/10/2021 - Max Hits Type changed from 'Outgoing Spells' to 'Offensive Procs'
    Yinla, Thunderkiks, Xeladom and 3 others like this.
  2. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

This doesn't need to be touched. History shows us that when they start messing with raids that work, everyone ends up worse off at the end (ToFS 1 ... I'm looking at you).

If you want to have a fire proc, hold it. If you want to dps a prison or Aaryonar, then don't worry about a fire proc. 54 people in a raid - if you cannot coordinate having a team for the prison (melee on top just destroy that thing now) and then focus on the 2 Aaryonar phases without worrying about fire procs (cause the auras still come fast enough to reacquire) ... work on your strategy more?

The raid itself is fine. Please don't change.

You can fix lag though...
    Skuz and adetia like this.
  3. Iribabh Augur

This is recently broken. Like the last time they touched the raid broken. I have been dpsing Aary and prisons for literally months without eating my fire proc.

Yes we beat it just fine but that isn't the point. They fixed it before by putting a hit limit on the proc for things that were affected by it. If it was unaffected it couldn't be hit by it. They broke it. This is a bug.
  4. Ngreth Thergn Developer

Unfortunately here is the issue.
    We can make the spell that is cast by the proc only land on elementals.
    Our current spell system cannot make the buff/debuff with the proc ONLY land on elementals, so no matter the target it will proc and cast the spell, ticking down the proc counter. We cannot change this in any reasonable amount of work or time. Additionally, The target processing would be an expensive (server processing) addition on melee proc spells.

The reason it "sometimes" seems to work is it is not a guaranteed proc, so sometimes you don't get a proc before you change targets, sometimes you do.

At this time there is not fix planned.
  5. Iribabh Augur

Thanks for looking into this Ngreth.

I have a hard time with that explanation though. On nearly every raid on every aura set I bank a fire proc then go to the correct aura. Since March, I've been able to bank that proc and continue to dps (both combat abilities [melee didn't work] and spells) on the prisons and on Aaryonar once the dragon landed again while holding those procs for golems when they'd come in.

I play a beastlord, we have pretty exceptional proc rates. While it's plausible that during all of those times that I just "got lucky" and didn't burn the proc on a target which it couldn't go on, I find it highly unlikely.

Since the July patch which made melee able to hit the prison, I have been on Shadow aura duty most raids. Last night I was not and only just then noticed it. I suspect that something in the July patch had to have changed.

I get that right now I'm only providing anecdotal evidence, and I have logs for every event going back that I can go in and parse data showing me gaining the fire aura (and thus the proc) then all combat rounds between me gaining it and the proc going off. I don't imagine that'll prove anything though.

If you have time would you mind just double checking the July stuff? I know having 48 people bank a proc wasn't really the intended use of the auras and yes it can be done easily with only a few people doing procs (or with no procs at all honestly) but it really does seem something has changed.
  6. Sancus Augur

While I can't necessarily say you didn't experience this, I've definitely had Aaryonar (and orbs) consume Expenditure of Flame procs consistently, for months. You couldn't melee the prisons before, so I doubt they would've consumed procs previously.
    While the proc rate is generally high for everyone, being a Beastlord doesn't increase your chance to proc it at all.
    Ssdar likes this.
  7. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

The main thing is ... why do you care so much after Ngreth has posted why and how it has to work? Barring lag, this is probably the most fun raid in the entire expansion (with lag ... this raid is the worst ... non spawning auras for the kaboom).

My experience is exactly the same as Sancus ... melee strips the proc, regardless of what you are attacking.

Unless people in your guild don't factor out the insane bane damage on procs when parsing, it's all silly anyway.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  8. Viper1 Augur

Then don't design raids around utilizing that sort of mechanic. You know the limitations of your system, don't get cute and try to do things that your system can't handle. Keep it simple and work within the limitations to only design raid mechanics that you *know* it can easily accomplish.
  9. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Really? Play better if its a problem. We want them to be creative within the confines of the system.
  10. Svann2 The Magnificent

but mah parse!
    Elyssanda likes this.
  11. Viper1 Augur

I apologize that I like my raid mechanics of the "not broken" variety.
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

You don't even need all of the melee with the fire proc anyway.

I know that most of the melee will not be hitting earthen prisons (most struggle to dps them with melee probably as its kinda tricky to position properly on them).

There are plenty enough melee on my guild's raids hitting the guardians with the fire proc already that I dont need to worry about having the fire proc.

I focus on being one of the 1 or 2 melee that does successfully melee the earthen prisons (battle leap is absolutely invaluable in getting to the right position to melee these).

So far this has been working extremely well, the guardians are destroyed in split-seconds and the earthen prisons are wrecked really quickly.

In an ideal world the fire proc would only be expended on elementals and the earthen prisons would be far easier to melee and not require almost exact positioning to do so - but hey, this is EQ and she is an old lady with a bad temper.