Test Update 08/10/2021 - New Bugs Only

Discussion in 'Test Update Notes and Bug Roundup' started by EQ Dev, Aug 10, 2021.

1. EQ Dev Developer

This thread is for new bugs and how to reproduce them only. Please keep all opinions, discussions, posts about balance, and anything else in the other thread.
    Patch notes and discussions thread
  2. Sunriver Journeyman

Taunt pulling with good faction is no longer possible, and seems like an unintended side effect of the taunt changes. To be clear, this is when you can taunt pull a mob without aggroing others because you're on positive faction. I'm thinking this will not be fixed, but I figure I should mention it since the patch notes say nothing of it.
  3. Sunriver Journeyman

Taunt now requires line of sight to activate. In the 22 previous years of this game, this was not the case, nor do the patch notes mention anything about line of sight being required for taunt. Is this a bug or a special surprise for patch day?

To reproduce: Try to taunt something around a corner that you can't see but are close to. Taunt will not activate.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

While it may have been used as a pulling tool for years I don't think it was intended to be one and this just might be a fix to various hacks I have heard posted about on the forums.
  5. I-WANT-IT-NOW Augur

It’s one of the only tools that works when mobs get stuck in geo and it’s impossible to have los. Seems like a very silly change considering it’s range.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Considering I have seen posts of people finding ways to use it across a zone I don't know about that.
  7. Lemerian Elder

That is a hack. No one using the actual unmodified client can do that because taunt has a range. They should fix the hack instead of breaking functionality for regular players.
    Dre. and Wulfhere like this.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That goes back to my original point where I suggested it might not be intended as a pulling tool and you generally don't have line of site issues when tanking a mob. Sure it might be a hack but this might help fix that as well.
  9. Lemerian Elder

Again, that's an assumption on your part. It was in the game forever and it is not called out in the patch notes, so until told otherwise, is a bug. If they intended it, it would be nice to actually say so.

I will say the game for the last 22 years has been designed with this in mind assuming the developers know their game even in the slightest, so it's hard to imagine no zones were ever designed with this in mind in terms of pulling. We'll see, I guess.
    Dre. and Wulfhere like this.
  10. Finchy Augur

BUG
    Using taunt out of line of sight now prompts a "you cannot see your target message". This specific function is not listed in the patch notes, so it's assumed an unintentional bug until stated otherwise.
    Reproduce
    be out of line of sight of an NPC but close enough to where taunt would work. click taunt, and see message.

BUG
    Using taunt while in line of sight and immediately breaking LoS can cause the NPC to fully forget you exist.
    Reproduce
    This was attempted on a grey NPC(in Kurns tower, if it matters), so not sure if level effected it, however, standing around a corner from an NPC, quickly going in LoS, hitting taunt, and immediately moving out of LoS in most cases would reset threat with the NPC, which would reset the NPC as though you were never there. Out of 10 attempts, 2 of those attempts the NPC stayed with me as I broke LoS.

BUG
    When taunting 1 NPC in a group of NPCs that are not at a negative faction (in this test the NPCs were Indifferent) all mobs would social on a taunt. I'm including this because the way the change is worded doesn't indicate this was the intended change.
    Reproduce
    Put your back to a NPC within a group of NPCs, hit taunt, run away, and all NPCs will social even though you only taunted 1 NPC.
    Wulfhere likes this.
  11. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I always thought that this was how it worked? Or was supposed to work anyway.
    Svann2 likes this.
  12. Lemerian Elder

Supposed is a very subjective thing when it worked a different way for the entire life of the game previously.

So, yes if you had good faction with all the mobs you could taunt a single one and pull it through all of them with no other aggro.

This one I could see arguing is something that should be fixed. The line of sight taunt I disagree needed to be changed. It was another tool just like FD, Mez, lull, or root. It was helpful for non-optimal groups to split some hard areas.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I don't know it seems like a pretty blatant change to me
  14. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

If this is intened can you please fix

1 of Loving (cant remember the rest of the name) PHs up by the furnace in Gnome Mountain (by the lift) - cannot see message even when you are stood right in front of it hitting it, taunt is used to move it a foot so it can be seen.

Bats in SolA cannot be hit unless you taunt them down, not sure if these are a los issue or a distance thing.

There is also an area in velks (COV) with cannot see message up the top by the dogs.

Not to mention the many, many places where you can not see the mob because its left foot is behind a stone...
  15. Lemerian Elder

The thread that that patch line is related to does not in any way describe any of the behaviors that are mentioned in this thread. That is why it's exceptionally unclear if it's truly intended or a side effect of the change to fix issues that were created when they changed aggro for item clicking.

And, again, not in the patch notes...

It's like you've never seen any EQ changes that resulted in unexpected outcomes before.
  16. Velisaris_MS Augur

Since it was an indoor zone, perhaps it's a geometry thing? Did you try it in an outdoor zone with stuff to hide behind to break LoS? Let them chase you a bit and then duck behind something?

That kind of change seems like it would be highly exploitable for certain things.
  17. Angahran Augur

Considering how messed up LoS can be, the wonderful situation of a DRAGON the size of a house being out of LoS because there is a tiny pebble blocking a toe nail, this seems like a really dumb change!
    Dre. and Yinla like this.
  18. Creepin Lorekeeper

Many of your boxers have there own groups at which they leveled, aa'd, and raid geared built around having this machanic in mind. If this change is going to do what it sounds like its going to do
    you are going to make a lot of your boxers groups need to be restructured otherwise its just going to be horrible to play and or just not worth playing anymore. I see this upsetting a lot of people
    because from my understanding this is a boxer heavy game. GoD comes out next month on our TLP and this will leave me with a undergeared bard as my only pulling option at which once its oom after
    eight fades I guess I just get to sit there and do nothing? Sounds real fun.
  19. Wulfhere Augur

It's not about faction really. Any means to get within taunt range of an NPC without being attacked would suffice, e.g. invisibility, pacify, faction, sneak (rangers), walls/geometry, z-axis.

The reason this worked is because /taunt, as the only +hate, was not enough for the NPC to request assistance from nearby mobs. The result is very much like standard "assist pulling" were you can single out an NPC by triggering it to assist another NPC that you aggroed (mez, root, etc). The taunted NPC must now be requesting assistance right away now. Ugh.

This is a huge and possibly game breaking change from how things work for 20+ years. There were some taunt patches in 1999-2001 where things changed a bit, but since then it has been this way.
    Lemerian and Waring_McMarrin like this.
  20. Risiko Augur

And.... here... we... go.

By the way, saying what was intended is nothing more than opinion unless you was there when the game was being originally created in 1998. Just saying.
    Velisaris_MS likes this.